GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the frame of a bike would seem to me be the most important part of a bike, so aluminum is lighter and you save a few pounds, on a $18k + bike I'd prefer a stronger frame regardless of added weight

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Aluminum was chosen for strength and rigidity, in addition to the lighter weight.

It's the strength and rigidity of the aluminum frame that is one of the very best features of the new 1800 Wing. However, aluminum is much more difficult to weld than steel, for example, and when a company "charts new territory" there is sometimes a learning curve as unexpected problems show up.

IMHO, going back to steel would be a step backward!

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
The 1800's frame is the main reason it handles so great!

Ever ride a 1500?...............Kick a 1500 in to some fast tight curves and you will see what frame flex is.

"Fundamental design changes from the 1500 were necessary, and it was decided to go to a sport bike-like aluminum beam frame. A frame that is twenty-five pounds lighter than the old, steel frame, has far fewer parts, and, important from a sporting perspective, is much stiffer."

"The innovative aluminum frame is specifically engineered for optimum rigidity with tuned flex. This combination of rigidity and flexibility produces excellent handling, superb riding comfort and wonderful road feel."

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Almost all new motorcycle designs use aluminum frames, they are the current state of the art technology, as mentioned above, a steel frame would be a step backwards in technology.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Anybody ever find out how the weld problem occured?

Having been in manufacturing for 25 years, in both high production and engineered to order products, it baffles me how Honda could have made this mistake. I saw a show on the discovery channel about the wing being manufactured but I missed the part where they were making the frames. Is the frame hydroformed and then welded or is it made from bent tubing. Are these robotically welded or TIG welded by hand? I have an 03 but was not included in the recall and a spot check on the welds didn't show any signs of undercut or improper weld, unfortunately the best way to tell is with some type of destructive test or xray.
Just Curious
Jordan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts