GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Canuck
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've just finalized an agreement with a Honda dealer to trade in my 2004 for a 2012. They will be picking up my 2004 next week, taking it to their shop to confirm the bike's as good as I say it is, and then giving me the 2012.

The headlights and fog lights on my 2004 are HID. The bike is in winter hibernation, stored in a cold garage, plugged into a battery temder. I just went out and started the bike. Both HID headlights are not coming on. Fog lights (HID) work. High beams (non-HID) work. But no low beams (HID). With both being out at the same time, I'm thinking it's not a bulb issue.

Any suggestions?

·
Canuck
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you convert it back to stock Halogens?
No. I'm pretty useless from a technical perspective. Plus, the dealer knows my lights are HID.

I have spare HID bulbs and ballast, and was going to give them to the dealer with the bike. Maybe I'll just tell the dealer to fix 'em, and add it the cost of the overall deal.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Agree with Greg, sounds like the starter switch is not fully returning to the rest position. I would try flicking it about ten times. As you are in Ontario, it must be colder than the seven steps to H___ up there. The lubricating grease in the switches doesn't like cold.

·
Canuck
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try pulling the start button to the off position with the key in the on position.
jackjohn said:
Agree with Greg, sounds like the starter switch is not fullyreturning to the rest position. I would try flicking it about ten times. As youare in Ontario, it must be colder than the seven steps to H___ up there. The lubricatinggrease in the switches doesn't like cold.

Greg & John - I tried what you suggested, but with no success. There is no play in the starter switch - it will not pull forward. I tried with the key on and with the key off. I also pushed and released the switch ten times, but nothing.

·
Vendor
17,811 Posts
[/FONT][/FONT]
Greg & John - I tried what you suggested, but with no success. There is no play in the starter switch - it will not pull forward. I tried with the key on and with the key off. I also pushed and released the switch ten times, but nothing.
Don't push on the start button, pull it rearward to the non-start position.

·
Canuck
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Try pulling the start button to the off position with the key in the on position.
Don't push on the start button, pull it rearward to the non-start position.
Yup, that's what I did. But like I said, there's no play. Tried pulling the starter switch rearward with the key on, the key off, and while the bike was running. Lights still not on.

·
Canuck
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pull the left side cover, remove the fuse box cover, and check your low beam fuse. It will be marked on the fuse cover.
I've checked that. It's fine.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I had trouble with my HID's and it was the inline fuse holder in the power supply . I tightened the female connectors that hold the fuse. It wasn't blown and they would come on after a while. The fuse was loose in the fuse holder.

·
Canuck
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you

Guys - thank you very much for your suggestions. I've got a Gold Wing guy coming over on Thursday, literally hours before my bike is being picked up by dealer. He will replace the existing HID bulbs with new one. If that doesn't work, maybe it's the HID ballast.

·
Vendor
17,811 Posts
With the key on, do you have battery voltage and ground to both OEM low-beam headlamp connectors ???

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
The starter button switch will kill both high and low beams, so it’s not the switch. The ballast has probably died. If you start it and put it into reverse, do they come on?

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
The starter button switch will kill both high and low beams, so it’s not the switch. The ballast has probably died. If you start it and put it into reverse, do they come on?
Hey techdude thanks I knew the low beams wouldn't work I didn't know about the high beams not working also I've had 35 watt HIDs for like 4 years 5 years never had a problem 1 light ballast Maybe I would make sure the ballast are plugged in and if you have the 55 watt hid you would have used a relay harness maybe that relay went bad or The inline fuse in that harness popped.

·
Canuck
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The starter button switch will kill both high and low beams, so it’s not the switch. The ballast has probably died.
Thanks Rob. I slept a bit better last night after reading your post. I only have one HID bulb in stock, so I'm hoping it's not the bulbs. However, I do have an HID ballast in stock.

If you start it and put it into reverse, do they come on?
I put in reverse, but still no low beams. (I left the bike in neutral on the center stand. I'm assuming I didn't need to actually get the bike moving.)

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Thanks Rob. I slept a bit better last night after reading your post. I only have one HID bulb in stock, so I'm hoping it's not the bulbs. However, I do have an HID ballast in stock.

I put in reverse, but still no low beams. (I left the bike in neutral on the center stand. I'm assuming I didn't need to actually get the bike moving.)
Your assumption is correct, you didn’t need to actually backup, just engaging reverse causes the cruise/reverse control module to provide another trigger source for the lowbeam’s relay. Since you have checked the fuse, the next thing to do is swap the low beam relay with another one like it in the rack under the seat. While in there, you can verify if power is coming to the relay on its blue wire and it’s yellow/white wire and leaving on it’s white/black wire. Power should be on all three with the key on, reverse engaged or not.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I ride all winter and have had this problem a few times when bike was parked overnight in a cold garage. If the ballast are weak they do not work if too cold. Start bike and let run until warm, turn off and restart and see if lights work. This should warm the area around ballast and let them function. They will continue to work until bike is turned off allowing them to be too cold. For bikes in a warm garage ignore my comments.

·
Canuck
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I ride all winter and have had this problem a few times when bike was parked overnight in a cold garage. If the ballast are weak they do not work if too cold. Start bike and let run until warm, turn off and restart and see if lights work. This should warm the area around ballast and let them function. They will continue to work until bike is turned off allowing them to be too cold. For bikes in a warm garage ignore my comments.
Man oh man, that would be great if that's the problem. My bike is stored in an unheated garage. I ran the bike last night for maybe ten minutes. It was pretty warmed up. But I did not stop and re-start. The fog lights (also HID) were on. They are maybe eight years old.

I'll try out your suggestion. Don't know if the headlight HID ballasts are weak - I've also had them for maybe eight years. I was having a bit of trouble with the headlight and fog light HID's at the end of the riding season. But I'm pretty sure that was due to a weak battery, which I replaced. No problems with any HID's after that.

Fingers crossed!!!

·
Canuck
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Man oh man, that would be great if that's the problem. My bike is stored in an unheated garage. I ran the bike last night for maybe ten minutes. It was pretty warmed up. But I did not stop and re-start. The fog lights (also HID) were on. They are maybe eight years old.

I'll try out your suggestion. Don't know if the headlight HID ballasts are weak - I've also had them for maybe eight years. I was having a bit of trouble with the headlight and fog light HID's at the end of the riding season. But I'm pretty sure that was due to a weak battery, which I replaced. No problems with any HID's after that.

Fingers crossed!!!
Nope, no luck. Ran the bike for about 20 minutes. Temperature gauge was at normal operating temperature. Turned the bike off, let it set for a minute, and then turned it back on. All other lights worked, but no low beams. And it's really not too terribly cold here - about 27 degrees F.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts