GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I do maintenance on my '03 GL1800, I can't help but wonder ways that Honda could do some changes in area's to
improve the operations and possible save money in the process.

Example:

#1 The latches on all the trunk opening......... Instead of cables, cams, expensive mechanisms, use plain level action
latches that snap shut, like on lunch boxes, and so what if they look ugly, make'em chrome..........

#2 Make a wider foot on the side stand. Those are 900 lb. bikes for god's sake, they will fell over in soft soil. Added cost----2 cents.

#3 Air cleaner filter change out is a joke. I'm not I engineer, but it's got to be design easier to get at.

#4 There has to be a better place for the CB and radio antennas. Concealed some were and out of harms way.

#5 Make the dam speedometer accurate for us that don't have a GPS. (digital Speedo maybe?)

Thanks for listening....now I feel better

·
Vendor
22,240 Posts
I agree with many of your points, except about the latches. Despite the problems they have, I really like the way the release handles are hidden from sight, while extremely easy to use and can be locked and unlocked with the key fob.

My FJR has key locks on the saddlebags and trunk. You can't open or close any bag without having the key in the lock to turn it. So you can only open one compartment at a time, and you have to fumble with the key and latches and you can't open them with the engine running, as you need the ignition key to get in them. After owning the Wing, I have grown to hate key operated saddlebag and trunk locks.

One other item I would desperately like to see changed, is for Honda to add one more digit to both trip meters. I mean, c'mon, this is a TOURING bike after all.

The good news is reports from 07 owners seem to indicated that they have dialed back the speedo error a bit, and that they are only about 2mph fast instead of 5mph fast.

·
Registered
633 Posts
1 the older GL’s did just that!
2 it gets in the way of the heel of the foot
3 changed once since new, at apprx 66k still get great mileage 40+ and
running at speed! Hey! those speed signs are suggestions, right!
4 perfect place to have them, one doesn’t get zapped by the RF. Besides where would you place the cheesy flags?
5 it’s that way for your ego! Feels better seeing how fast you are going eh?
:)

·
Registered
2004 Goldwing 1800GL
87 Posts
The one thing I want more then anything is either a 6th gear or a real over drive so the RPM's are running no higher then 2800 at about 80mph.
I don't care even if I had to down shift twice for hills, I would like OD..

I hate the feeling of always wanting to shift one more time and that 3500rpm drone.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Agree with #'s 1,2,3, don't care about 4 and 5.

Also like to see metal tire valves to eliminate that stupid plastic clip; easier seat removal.

·
Registered
270 Posts
sell

My guess would be because they sell what they make, without having to change, fix or repair anything.

These forums tell the story, it's a great bike despite all of it's draw backs.

Besides, it gives us all something to B###h about!!!

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
1 I don't ever want to go back to separate latches on bags and trunk. What a PITA walking around the bike making sure all are locked. I love pressing one button.

#2 No matter how wide the foot is, you'll park on something too soft.

#3 The air cleaner takes a while to get to. Once a year isn't all that bad, plus you can check other stuff at the same time. Besides, I like it right on top of the throttle body. Otherwise you'd have more ducts to worry about. lol

#4 "out of harms way" What's harming them???

#5 Finally, one I agree with.

·
Registered
633 Posts
whiskey31 wrote:
the new goldwings need a 10 gallon fuel tank, 6 speed transmission

jason says:
giddyup.

6th gear? earplugs for the Drone. no matter what RPM the drone will exist at any speed.

a little more off-road dirt riding clearances would be nice!

·
Registered
633 Posts
whiskey31 wrote:
the new goldwings need a 10 gallon fuel tank, 6 speed transmission

jason says:
giddyup.

6th gear? earplugs for the Drone. no matter what RPM the drone will exist at any speed.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Fred's comment on the trip meter riminds me that on my 1st trip it went over to 0 again and I thought the meter had reset unintentionally.. like in a electrical short situation. Fumed about it for about 50 miles until the light (sometimes dim) when on in my brain.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
#1 Those little snap latches are what Harley uses on their "Tour Packs". They are a PITA. I vote for Hondas system.
#2 I agree to a point. The foot on most bike side stands is not wide enough to support the machine in sand, gravel, or hot tar. Carry a plastic or thin plywood base plate to set under it when necessary.
#3 I couldn't agree more.
#4 In order for radios to receive or xmit signals you have to put metal in the air. Burying them in the bike would render them near uiseless. Remember the car antennas in the windshield? Didn't work for crap. Virtually all cars now have an external antenna "stick".
#5 Never bothered me much even before I got a GPS. It takes about 1 millisecond to mentally correct the reading once you know it is off by "X" MPH.

There. Now I feel better too.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
I think the question has been answered: The reason they can't get it "right" is not everybody can agree what "right" is. :lol:

·
Registered
95 Posts
cdogbt1sw03033 said:
i ALREADY run 10.5 gals. good for about 350-400+ tank to tank! a quick splash n dash and off again!

ya. i'm gonna get an aux tank before next aug. just not sure which bike i'll be on. the strom's cell gives me ~350 at an eager pace.

a 6th would be nice as mpg would/should improve slightly. i don't mind droning at ~4k, but mpg does suffer.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'd like to be able to open my trunk with the remote while the key is in the ignition. I see no reason for it not working while key is on.
=========
Fred H. said:
I agree with many of your points, except about the latches. Despite the problems they have, I really like the way the release handles are hidden from sight, while extremely easy to use and can be locked and unlocked with the key fob.

My FJR has key locks on the saddlebags and trunk. You can't open or close any bag without having the key in the lock to turn it. So you can only open one compartment at a time, and you have to fumble with the key and latches and you can't open them with the engine running, as you need the ignition key to get in them. After owning the Wing, I have grown to hate key operated saddlebag and trunk locks.

One other item I would desperately like to see changed, is for Honda to add one more digit to both trip meters. I mean, c'mon, this is a TOURING bike after all.

The good news is reports from 07 owners seem to indicated that they have dialed back the speedo error a bit, and that they are only about 2mph fast instead of 5mph fast.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'd like to be able to open my trunk with the remote while the key is in the ignition. I see no reason for it not working while key is on.
just press the unlock button on the keyfob and use the handels

Nigel

1 - 17 of 17 Posts