GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why did you buy this motorcycle? OK, I admit, the reason I bought it is because it is fast :) Yea, I told my wife all of the crap about it being safe and having lots of lights, and all of the other stuff. But I just got back from a ride, "back roads." I did full trottle, 6K rpm shifts. I scraped the peg in a turn :oops: And I repeatled went from 60 to 90 as fast as it would do it :) Yea, it's brutal, and I like it. "I make the payment." I will also take the oppurtunity to wax other bikers especailly if it has HD on the tank. Be prowd and let you know that you ride the true "king of the road." Let's face it, motorcycles are not safe, but it makes me feel alive, and happy. Next time you ride with a HD buddy. "Blow his door off repeatedly, util he believes it :wink: ."

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
well, the wing is in my garage because I did not want to:
-vibrate all the time
-have a numb butt
-have hands/arms/shoulders go to sleep
-have to put aftermarket shield/faring on
-have to put aftermarket radio on
-deal with carbs
or another way to say it....the wing is a well integrated cycle with most everything on it from the factory....plus being a kick to ride :D

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
nice story, but i get no big thrill from blowing off harleys, they are no challenge. i had an st1100 the last 2 seasons, enough said.

even my pacific coast will run past a sportster, what challenge is that.

one thing i can take pleasure in is that when i am at a stoplight, my wing is quiet and vibration free, unlike the harley next to me that shakes like he has the wrong size pistins.

loren

·
Registered
788 Posts
Actually, it should be a Federal Law that HD riders CANNOT wear earplugs. They are protecting themselves from the painful noise from their bikes, but do not care about every one else that they are offending. If they had to listen to the same noise that every one else has to listen too, maybe they would think again about punching their mufflers out.

I've often thought about getting a portable boat air horn (really loud one) and directing it at HD's. Probably get abused by some HD freak, though.

Noisy HD's are the sole reason that some places restrict parking and campgrounds against motorcycles.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Dale,

Relax Man, relax. I can feel that energy all the way over here. Guess what it is catching on because I will be on my "Blk Warroir" in a few days :D

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Sorry to report I just got waxed while on the wing.

By a damned Chevey, at that.

But that Corvette was exceeding 130 to do it.....

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Hey, DAWG...

Sometimes one must yield to temptation

And hopes to be delivered from.........

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
IR Harry - but did you know that your Wing will beat that Chevy Corvette in the Quarter Mile......? You're just supposed to go the Quarter mile - Win and then leave it at that - never mind that it will pass you at the 130 point - you beat it up to the 104 MPH point and for the distance that counted.....

DaleC

·
Registered
364 Posts
Why Did I buy This????? (wing) ...like I have told many of my Harley riding buddies, because I RODE IT after that my 2000 Road King just wasnt the same any more. Not to say that it's not a good bike I still like to ride it ocassionally but untill you have sat your posterior on a GL1800 you will not be able to understand why My shiney black, chrome laden Harley sits in the garage and I'm out on a massive plastic covered rice burner.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I like all bikes.... :biker:
Back in 93 during the 1500 area....
We rode "Two Up !"....
ONCE ya' ride a Wing, especially the 1800...TWO UP....you can NEVER GO BACK !
www.pashnit.com
IRMac :rw1:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Well ? I have always enjoyed Motorcylces and always considered the Goldwing the very finest of them all. I just love the bike and love riding.
I feel very special when I'm aboard. I'm very disappointed in Honda but thats another story. My wife actually was the one who brought up the wing, one day she said something about how nice it would be to travel on one. Two weeks after that the SILVER rocket was in my garage.
Come on spring !!! :yes2:

·
Registered
823 Posts
Why I bought a wing? I loved the look and thought of having cruise controll..........but, just one ride and the signing of the papers and the rest is history.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Speed

Having just recently received my Wing, I didn't realize just how fast it was until I punched it real hard and came up behind another Wing and what do you know it was ME..... :wink:

G

·
Got back into the bike thing in '01 after a 20-year hiatus,
bought an '00 Nomad. Loved the bike, but found I could
only do an hour to an hour and a half before having to stop
and stretch.

Found myself in a position to make a change to anything I
wanted in the Spring of '03.....went straight to a Honda dealer.

Don't ride the Nomad at all anymore, so it's for sale! :wink:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Bought mine because it was the best tool for the task I wanted done. I have other bikes for other tasks. For what it's worth, none of those tasks involve trying to make myself feel like a big deal by putting down somebody else's ride.

What is it with Gold Wing zealots that you guys seem to have an ingrained need to slam Harleys? Just doesn't make sense. I can assure you with some certainty that in the Harley circles I've run in the subject of Gold Wings pretty much never comes up. But I doubt a week goes by in this group and less than that in another (less useful) group without somebody gratuitously slamming Harleys and Harley riders.

It's sad. After reading the same Harley bashing nonsense time after time it begins to look like a group of unpopular junior high school kids off in a corner mumbling among themselves about how they wouldn't want to go out with those stinky old girls anyway.

Gold wings are good enough that they can stand alone. Well, not altogether alone; mine has a tendency to fall over if I leave it standing alone with out the side stand or center stand. It'd be appropriate if their riders could do the same without having to bash people who generally don't much give a rat's ass about Gold Wings or wingers.

How about helping me to understand why this isn't the case?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Most of that kind of attitude has been cultivated and reenforced over time by one word . . . Attitude. And guess who sells that?
How many waves have gone unanswered, noses turned in the air. How many HD riders have said "Wow, for the money you spent on that rice burner you could have had a REAL bike." Or how many have told you that you pi**ed your money away because you won't have any resale value? I have seen a number of places where motorcyclists gather that have signs that say HD parking only.
A person can only be dissed so many times until they may start getting a little crusty and defensive.
I've never been to a rally where they had a Harley drop contest, but the one-percenters sure have a good time when they hoist a Honda into the air for the Honda drop.
I know that this is an ignorant, archaic attitude that is certainly not shared by all Harley riders. I ride with a great bunch of guys who ride American (not Marysville, OH) iron and they don't give me any crap. Of course, my being 6'5" and 370 may have something to do with that.
Brand snobbery is stupid. There are too many good machines on the market today, regardless of their country of origin to be claiming that one is the very best and the rest are junk.
I love my Wing and wouldn't trade it for another ride. Here's hoping that everyone else could just feel the same about their bike without having to get silly and juvenile about it.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
1) The Comfort for Her

2) The Stereo for me (when I ride solo)

3) The ability for trips longer then 2 hours

1 - 20 of 28 Posts