GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve religiously changed my coolant (as well as my brake and clutch fluid) on my GL1800,s every 2 years.....but today’s coolants are supposed to Provide guaranteed Lifetime protection.
The caveat is that the lifetime warranty is valid if you perform a flush, and specific maintenance is followed (per Peak warranty below)
I assume they are referring to the Manufacturer’s maintenance guidelines which Honda says to change the coolant at 2 year intervals
This coolant meets Honda specification which calls for a coolant compatible for use in aluminum engines and is silicate free.
I’ve been using this coolant in the last 3 GL1800 I’ve owned and I have no doubt it could go longer than 2years.....what say you?

PEAK Global Lifetime full strength antifreeze & coolant
Wistia video thumbnail
SPECS

SDS
ABOUT18 DEGREESWARRANTY
GLOBAL LIFETIME FULL STRENGTH
Made for all makes and models, regardless of original antifreeze color.

Find a Store
PEAK® GLOBAL LIFETIMETM Antifreeze & Coolant features a patented, advanced organic acid technology that provides guaranteed LIFETIMETM protection – for as long as you own your vehicle! Patented inhibitors provide maximum protection against damaging rust and corrosion in all automobiles and light trucks worldwide, regardless of make, model, year or original antifreeze color.

Specific benefits include:

Provides guaranteed LIFETIMETM protection – for as long as you own your vehicle – when a complete cooling system flush and fill is performed and specified maintenance followed
Formulated for use in all American, Asian and European automobiles
Features a patented non 2-EH formula that is phosphate-free and silicate-free
Can be used to top-off any color of automotive antifreeze including green, yellow, orange, fuchsia, blue and red
Amber color will not change the current antifreeze color when used for topping off
Meets ASTM D-3306 and ASTM D-4340

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
The primary reason to replace the coolant is lubrication, not freeze protection. Coolant lubricates the water pump.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The primary reason to replace the coolant is lubrication, not freeze protection. Coolant lubricates the water pump.
The warantee is in regards to “protection”.......I would think that the protection would include lubricant if it’s required.

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
I’ve been using this coolant in the last 3 GL1800 I’ve owned and I have no doubt it could go longer than 2years.....what say you?
I wish I could say that about coolant. However, I'm not a chemist and would have no idea how to test the coolant to determine that what you are claiming. Many think coolants only job is to keep water from freezing, but that is far from true.

One thing I do know, is that engines that get torn down, that don't have frequent oil, air filter, and coolant changes, sure show it on the insides. Also, if one hang around here enough, you will read about owners having over heating issues. Usually that is caused from a poorly maintained cooling system, and/or grills or other chrome pieces that block air flow through the radiators.

Below are a pictures of 5th gen cooling jackets. The one coated in a white powder is from a poorly maintained cooling system. The other is from a well maintained cooling system. The coated will transfers heat into the coolant much slower than a clean jacket. At slow speed, he will likely a temp needle moving upwards.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A quote from the Chicago Tribune

Time to dispel the myth of water pump lubrication
Bob Weber
Q I read your recent column suggesting that the use of coolant stop leak provides the benefit of water pump lubrication. Modern automotive water pumps do not require any type of lubrication. In fact, if the coolant comes in contact with the bearing, the pump has failed. Today's pumps have a sealed, lubricated spindle bearing. This type of bearing has an outer housing, a seal and a lubricated bearing at each end of the housing and a shaft which extends out of each end of the housing. One end carries the impellers for the pumping action and the other end the pulley for the belt that supplies the power.

Water pumps generally fail because of seal failure due to old age, from coolant contamination, or from excessive drive belt pressure. Please stop perpetuating the myth of bearing lubrication.

Signed: Twenty-one years in the bearing industry and a lifelong motor head.

— A.M., Chicago

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Lifetime = "for as long as you own your vehicle". They're not gonna be out much money honoring that warrantee. If you are replacing your coolant, your vehicle is at least 2 years old and, for most vehicles/owners, much older than two years, so "most vehicles" will change owners or be retired before the replacement coolant causes any issues.

I change it every two years.

Oh and...premix or distilled water only.

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
By the way, that Peak Global Life coolant you posted about is an excellent coolant choice. It is 2-EH free, as well as silicate and phosphate free. When Honda did coolant testing back in 2003 because of the overheat issues, the Peak branded coolant performed the best.

I would STRONGLY advise AGAINST using any coolant that contains 2-EH (2-ethylhexanoic acid) in it, like Dexcool. It can damage seals and gaskets that aren't specifically formulated to withstand it. Coolants containing 2-EH are bad news in my opinion, I avoid them like the plague.

·
Registered
322 Posts
fluid change

Like Red Wing One said, I too change the coolant, clutch/brake fluid and rear differential fluid every 2 yrs on my bike without fail ever since I began riding Wings 41 yrs ago and I've always used nothing but Honda fluids with no issues at all. Of the 5 Wings I've owned, I've only had 2 water pump failures during that time. One on the 78' GL1000 at 119K and the other on the 87' GL1200 at 187K. So I'm a firm believer that routine maintenance on these Gold Wings we ride, will take you a long way. Just my 2 cents worth. :cool:

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
You guys are making me, feel bad, looks like this spring, I'm going to have to replace my coolant, and my air filter on my 2010.....

I just received my new battery in the mail yesterday (thanks Gregg for the correct model size #YTX-20L-BS)

I did replace all my break fluid last season, so I'm all set there in that department....

Let the riding season begin!!!

Ronnie

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
Marcel, Honda pre-mix is reasonably priced at the (automotive) Honda store near oxford and wonderland.

The Honda Automotive coolant is also great choice, and it is a long-life coolant. This is what comes in the 2018 now from the factory.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
I had to replace the original water pump in my 02 GL1800 for the first time at 450,000 miles, Peak Global Lifetime is the antifreeze I used for most of those miles. I really don’t know if it’s signifcantly better than any other premix antifreeze but around here Menards stores all carry it for about $8 a gallon so I have been using it for years in every piece of liquid cooled equipment that I own.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Just got off the phone with PEAK. I have their 5year 150k miles that says it for motorcycles and he confirmed that. It has 2-ethylhexanoate and not the 2-ethylhexanoic.
He said the 2- ethylhexanoate is no problem.
He said they make the Harley brand antifreeze.
I said I have a Goldwing. Lol.
He said no problem.

Reactions: Rick in MN.

·
Registered
16,985 Posts
By the way, that Peak Global Life coolant you posted about is an excellent coolant choice. It is 2-EH free, as well as silicate and phosphate free. When Honda did coolant testing back in 2003 because of the overheat issues, the Peak branded coolant performed the best.

I would STRONGLY advise AGAINST using any coolant that contains 2-EH (2-ethylhexanoic acid) in it, like Dexcool. It can damage seals and gaskets that aren't specifically formulated to withstand it. Coolants containing 2-EH are bad news in my opinion, I avoid them like the plague.
Like me, you learned that in the School of Hard Knocks.

prs

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
16,985 Posts
Water, heat, dissimilar metals create a battery effect or galvanic effect. Ion exchanges that corrode the different metals. The corrosion byproducts create scale. The additive packages in the coolants sacrifice themselves by giving up their ions more easily than the various metals of the engine. This works great while the coolant is fresh, but as the ionic exchange progresses the additive packages are depleted to where the important metals become the easier target of galvanic attack. The cost of gallon of top quality coolant is a small price to pay to help assure an efficient cooling system.

Using good water based coolant mixes, I figure IF we change our coolant as Honda states, then we will not have to flush between changes. There may be some disagreement about that, but it is how I see it. But, if the coolant serves well past the service interval, I figure a thorough flush with a flush agent is then needed to keep the cooling passages fully open. Pay now or pay more later; easy job now or bigger job later.

prs

Reactions: cycledude

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
Water, heat, dissimilar metals create a battery effect or galvanic effect. Ion exchanges that corrode the different metals. The corrosion byproducts create scale. The additive packages in the coolants sacrifice themselves by giving up their ions more easily than the various metals of the engine. This works great while the coolant is fresh, but as the ionic exchange progresses the additive packages are depleted to where the important metals become the easier target of galvanic attack. The cost of gallon of top quality coolant is a small price to pay to help assure an efficient cooling system.

Using good water based coolant mixes, I figure IF we change our coolant as Honda states, then we will not have to flush between changes. There may be some disagreement about that, but it is how I see it. But, if the coolant serves well past the service interval, I figure a thorough flush with a flush agent is then needed to keep the cooling passages fully open. Pay now or pay more later; easy job now or bigger job later.

prs
That white stuff in my picture is like what you are describing. Almost like an electrolyses effect. Sometimes it will break off in small chunks. It reminds me of the white powder sometimes seen on batteries posts. I too believe the pay now or bigger later. Unfortunately, for many, they will believe what they want instead of following simple instructions that Honda prints in black and white. As Hal used to say, you can only believe about 2% of what you read on this forum.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts