GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I haven't posted in a week or so because I've been out riding with every possible free moment! 8) I've owned a variety of motorcycles but at this point after almost a month with my new 06' I must say the Goldwing is simply the greatest bike of all! I just can't seem to get enough of it...

I have family and friends ask me the same question over and over: "Why do you love to ride so much? What is it about motorcycling that is like a drug you just can't enough of?"

Well - you guys get it - and any true motorcyclist gets it... I happened on an article by a fellow rider that explains the reasons better than I could ever articulate though - I was so taken by this article I read it several times - then thought I should share it with others:

Here is a link to an article called "Embedded in the Ride", by Richard Keir:

http://www.whybike.com/motorcycle138.htm

Enjoy - curious to hear others thoughts...

Brian :D

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Good article and well said. Are we on the same page or what? True bikers are of a kindred spirit. 8)

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Yep, that about sums it up...

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Yes, that was a good aticle.
Every good reason for riding was mentioned accept one, unless I over looked it. Maybe not thought of consciously, I believe riders are enjoying a degree of escape from the pressures of life such as bills, domestic problems, job related situations.
I'm sure there are a few that can honestly say they enjoy life with none of these pressures but very few that don't seek some form of escaping it.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Well written article that says much of what I feel, I have been riding over 30 years now and still enjoy it. Hope to ride until time for that long dirt nap!!

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I agree with much of what the author said, with a major exception. I don't ride for the thrill of danger; 'living on the edge,' or the adrenaline rush. Certainly, I recognize that riding involves risk, and I whole-heartedly accept the risk; it just isn't the reason I ride.

Riding is thrilling, and I get to control (for the most part) just how thrilling it is. That, for me, is part of the attraction: When you ride a motorcycle (or a bicycle, for that matter) you really must be in control, or you're in trouble. Because of the speed, a motorcycle takes 100% concentration on control and on your surroundings (you can relax on a bicycle). Here is where I agree with the author: Having to be so completely immersed in what you are doing - and the consequent diversion from other matters - is a great attraction.

I engage in other "hazardous" activities, including high altitude mountaineering and rock climbing. I have often likened riding to rock climbing for the simple reason that both demand your full attention, all the time. When riding, or rock climbing, nothing extraneous intrudes. A non-extrtaneous intrusion - a cager crossing your path, or rockfall on your route - are part of the experience for which you must be prepared and alert.

In all these pursuits, I work to minimize the danger - by being focused, by being prepared, wearing the right protective gear, etc. I'm not seeking danger, I'm seeking the fun and satisfaction of the activity, and I think there is a difference. If some think it's only a matter of degree, they may have a point. However, I think even the mindset does make a difference. If the mindset is looking for danger, then I would probably keep pushing the envelope until I go beyond my or the machine's abilities. Seeking fun, without scaring the H out of myself, will, I certainly hope and believe, keep me within my and the machines limits.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
When I saw the title, I was thinking...oh boy...here is another one of those H-D standard BS come back lines that states "If I gotta tell ya, you'll never understand". I am glad that I went to the link.

I cannot say that is exactly what does it for me when I am out riding my bike, but I am sure it is a component. For me, I think it is more about "being in the minute" so that I can forget about all of the work related stress inducers that get piled up on my shoulders and packed in my brain over the work week. Thanks for the post.

OBTW - I still do not understand why H-D riders put up with the what I consider crap to ride that brand (not bashing H-D). I guess it is all about what is important to you. I put performance, reliability, and comfort at the top of my "must have" list when buying a bike and I have to assume that they put looking good, part of the right crowd, and looking good (yes, I know I said that twice) at the top of their list. :roll: As Mr. Spock would say "that is not logical". :lol:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hey Brian,
Thanks for sharing!
Pretty good article expressing one man's opinion.
I do have to agree with JMATANDEM's post about the "thrill of Danger".
And then there's the "humorous" part of the article....
(Well, at least it will be humorous to most of us Gold Wing riders.)
I just couldn't help but chuckle when I read this part.....
Riding a motorcycle has a number of virtues that are sensible and common -
you save on gas, you can park almost anywhere with no trouble,
they're relatively inexpensive compared to a car,
even the insurance can be less than a car,
they are less expensive to maintain and repair. Nice sane virtues, eh?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
Ditto here too.

Sorta like a Zen, Karma, Woody thing all wrapped up together.

Bradford

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
My wife thinks I'm nuts when I put on all the leather just to keep warm for my morning commute to work in the dead of winter. She loves to ride too, don't get me wrong, but she would rather see me take the car instead on those freezing mornings.

Hmmm, maybe I am nuts. I could jump in the Caddy and be toasty warm......nah.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Love the comments! I don't crave danger by any means either, I enjoy more than anything the escape from all the other pressures of life - I love how you live in the moment when you are riding - nothing else matters except you, the machine, and the road!

Cheers!

Brian

·
Registered
902 Posts
Brian, I have found that when you explain why you like to ride to a non-motorcyclist, he or she will not understand, no matter how descriptive you explain the reasons. But that's ok because we are experiencing a part of life that is exhilerating and enjoyable for us and we are lucky to be living in a time where we can ride these sophisticated, finely engineered two wheeled machines called motorcycles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts