GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Delude ourselves about our "risky" hobby? We rationalize all day long about the risks and why we love motorcycling and yet...we still end up with a juvenile form of reasoning that says we do it because we love it.

After years of riding Harleys, a GW, and a BMW, I came to see the light. My darling bride of 35 years has always been understanding and forgiving for my selfishness in wanting to ride. But that selfishness lessened after I dumped the Harley with her on board five years ago :roll:

Then this year, after she had two near-death bouts with a blood clot and then her heart stopping, I had enough of selfishness. Since she could no longer ride and did not want to, I sold the bike and immediately bought a vintage MGTD that we both could enjoy.

Yes, it has risks, too.

But there is one major difference. We get to ride side-by-side at admittedly slower speeds :wink: with my arm around her!

Do I miss the bikes? Sure. But not enough to go back. You see, last Spring, after many years of training and riding, I was good. Really good. But coming home one night, someone had just hit a huge deer and deposited the large freshly-hit carcass on the road at 90 degrees to my path. Never saw it. Hit that deer at 50mph, went airborne and came down hard with at least a quarter mile of squigglies. Never even raised my blood pressure but weeks afterwards, I re-lived that vivid encounter and thought of the outcome had I crashed. Not for me but for her. I just could not put the little voice away that said it was time to retire.

So, I repeat, why do we do it? We all have our reasons. But, I for one have found, or should I say, re-discovered my real passion in life. My wife.

Oh, yeah, the sidecar thang just wouldn't be the same since we like the closeness whilst touring the mountains...my arm just ain't long enough for a sidecar!! :D :D :D

For whatever your reasons are for riding, always listen to the little voice that keeps ya outta trouble. Worked for me for years!!! :wink:

·
Registered
179 Posts
I sincerly am glad you found peace about your decision not to ride and the love you have for your wife . I may also one day have to come to that decision. I have had 2 very very close calls. Im still young and have 3 boys at home but have not herd that little voice yet. I used to skydive a few yaers back and started again when my wife and oldest son who is 16 became interested in it . I talked to my youngest 2 who are 12 years old . (TWINS ) I explaned to them that there is a diffrence between tempting fate and making informed decisions and asked if they would be bitter if something tragic happened to us . They said they would not . I had explained to them to try and not be afraid to live because of being afraid to die . All 3 of my children are profesed christians and have given there lives to the one above and i feel thats why they understand ! Good luck in all your adventers and GOD bless ! :)

·
Squating Member
7,055 Posts
I can understand you...I look at it as a calculated risk...I see car wrecks all the time, but we don't stop driving...In my line of work we could loose at any time, maybe that's why??? who knows for sure. I love bikes, all kinds of them, my wife of 35 years knows this, we met in high school, first bike at 16, Honda 305 Scrambler, she knew then and accepts that I will ride until, well a long time...

Would I quit if she asked me too, most likely, but don't think she'll ever do that, now smoking????that's another thing, she beats me up all the time about that :lol:

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
I personally have not heard that inner voice and don't have a wife to help inspire/inflict/ or initiate it. The voice that concerns me is the one that I don't hear, but rather see.........others on cell phones. If I quit riding it will be because of the distracted drivers and the increasing number of near misses encountered during a peaceful ride. We just had a clown run down 3 bikes. One dead, two critical. It was his 15th accident in 3 years! People like this are what will ultimately make me rethink my position.

Enjoy the MG, I had a GT and loved every mile. It just didn't hold enough infant seats at that time. As I've aged the cars have gotten slower, and the bikes bigger

·
Registered
624 Posts
The inner voice I hear tells me that I'm going to be sitting in a nursing home in a few years. And, I don't want to be sitting there slobbering and wishing I had done the things I loved earlier while I was still able.

There's a risk in everything, we can lessen the risk somewhat, I don't ride a bike ever, ever at night..............but I'd rather die doing something I love than live wishing I had.

Just be happy with your decision.............and be safe. :D

G

·
If something is too heavy a smart man puts it down.
Family is more important than hobbies and fun in every case.
Glad to hear you listened to that little voice. There'd be no living in peace if you'd ignored it and something had happened.
Good for you.

Pat

·
Registered
747 Posts
only you can make that decision. im 58 almost and as i see it i dont have many more years of biking. i am going to enjoy it as long as i feel safe. if i get a close encounter then i too may give it up. good luck.

G

·
sammisgrammy said:
I personally have not heard that inner voice and don't have a wife to help inspire/inflict/ or initiate it. The voice that concerns me is the one that I don't hear, but rather see.........others on cell phones. If I quit riding it will be because of the distracted drivers and the increasing number of near misses encountered during a peaceful ride. We just had a clown run down 3 bikes. One dead, two critical. It was his 15th accident in 3 years! People like this are what will ultimately make me rethink my position.

Enjoy the MG, I had a GT and loved every mile. It just didn't hold enough infant seats at that time. As I've aged the cars have gotten slower, and the bikes bigger
Where I live, the most dangerous drivers on the road are mini-van drivers.
Most of the time they are talking on a cell phone and driving crazy and fast.
I think they have a chip on their shoulder about driving a mini-van,
because they all seem to think that they are in a sports car.
I hate mini-van drivers !

·
Registered
707 Posts
While in Uncle Sams Army, I learned that the bullet with your name on it will get you! The bullet that says "to whom it may concern" is what you train to avoid. Meby this old alagory "could" apply to M/C accidents as well. Just a passing thought as I peer at my bald front tire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.