• Better Fuel Economy?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Primarily Ride only HiWays

• Like to be "different" though experimentation

• Other reasons - (please highlight other reasons in a post

Why Do You Use A Car Tire On Your Goldwing?

19K views 92 replies 39 participants last post by  rimjaine 
#1 ·
This is a serious poll so please don't make this a debate about CT vs. MT. :)

#2 ·
Just curious, why didn't you include "less expensive". I don't ride on a car tire but I would think the cost of a car tire has to be at least half or less than that of a m/c tire. Don't they get about the same mileage out of them as m/c tires?

Just wondering. :D

#4 ·
luckyman said:
Just curious, why didn't you include "less expensive". I don't ride on a car tire but I would think the cost of a car tire has to be at least half or less than that of a m/c tire. Don't they get about the same mileage out of them as m/c tires?

Just wondering. :D
Car tires cost about 50-75% of a M/T and usually last about 2.5 times as long. I read "better mileage" to be essentially that reason. No one has ever reported better MPG on a car tire.

KA7W said:
Your post does not include the reason I use one,...
My top reasons are better traction, more durable, more forgiving, and easier to ride out of trouble in case of a failure. I generally roll them into "safer".

#5 ·
I feel they are safer !
I feel they are not as likely to have a catastrophic failure !
I ride mostly on long trips and pull a trailer !
I ride a lot on dirt and gravel roads !
I like the smoothness while going down a road !!
I like to experiment with different approaches to things !!
I like the traction, especially on dirt and gravel !!
I like passing young guys on Sport bikes in the corners, especially when the trailer is on !! (These are not the top of the line full blown corner carving sport bike riders)
Gee Tom, and I thought you were going to include something like:

--I am a bit of a rebel and I like doing it a little (or a lot) differently than the norm.
--Just because the owners manual says that I should do it that way doesn't mean I'm going to.

Go figure, :roll: :roll:

DaleC

G
#6 ·
The tire thing had been done so much that I thought this was the poll on whether we liked Pam Andersons new Airstream trailer that was built by the Unique guys on TV.

I hope John Preston watches the Airstream trailer show. He may get some new design ideas from what I hear.

#13 ·
For each of you...
Smitty :WHO CARES? This topic has been done to death.
I care and I think that possibly others care about the WHY? without all the emotion attached to the WHY?

Hal: The tire thing had been done so much that I thought this was the poll on whether we liked Pam Andersons new Airstream trailer that was built by the Unique guys on TV.
Yep - it has been done an awful lot... but I haven't seen the reasons WHY? in a poll that make overall sense.

tomfranken: That is what I was looking for - milage as in durability.
KA7W: Some of the questions had you (and others) in mind. Yes the answers (other) are perfect. Thanks

luckyman: Less expensive could be in milage or other. I was actually looking for someone to point it out.

The overall purpoise is for me to build a picture of the overall usage and market potential of a bike tire that is more "in line" with some of the characteristics of car tires. Like most ideas that come to market - you got to start with questions that bring statistical answers. I do thank each of you who have participated to this point. Please let your friends that ride CT's know about the poll.

Springbike

G
#15 ·
springbike said:
For each of you...
Smitty :WHO CARES? This topic has been done to death.
I care and I think that possibly others care about the WHY? without all the emotion attached to the WHY?

[quote:2fzbw6yt] Hal: The tire thing had been done so much that I thought this was the poll on whether we liked Pam Andersons new Airstream trailer that was built by the Unique guys on TV.
Yep - it has been done an awful lot... but I haven't seen the reasons WHY? in a poll that make overall sense.

tomfranken: That is what I was looking for - milage as in durability.
KA7W: Some of the questions had you (and others) in mind. Yes the answers (other) are perfect. Thanks

luckyman: Less expensive could be in milage or other. I was actually looking for someone to point it out.

The overall purpoise is for me to build a picture of the overall usage and market potential of a bike tire that is more "in line" with some of the characteristics of car tires. Like most ideas that come to market - you got to start with questions that bring statistical answers. I do thank each of you who have participated to this point. Please let your friends that ride CT's know about the poll.

Springbike[/quote:2fzbw6yt]

Here is one question I didn't see:

Do any of the car tire manufacturers or motorcycle tire manufacturers endorse installing a car tire on any motorcycle?

Answer: None that we are aware of.

G
#19 ·
KA7W said:
Hal,

There are guys installing Harley Davidson Engines on two place airplanes, Do you think Harley Davidson would endorse that ??

Of course the tire manufacturers will NOT endorse using them on a motorcycle, they do not want more liabilities in this liberal society !!

There are people installing Volkswagen engines on airplanes, Do you think VW will endorse that ??

We are not unique in any way by installing a car tire on our bikes, especially if it solves problems for us !!

I installed 14 inch car tires on a Stearman airplane because the right tires were not available, They turned out to work better for that style of work (crop dusting) than the designed for and built for airplane tires !!!

So what is wrong with a few guys that like to experiment, and are finding good results and some not so good results in the use of a car tire on a Goldwing !!

Springbike just wanted to know a few things from the people who could tell him from real honest experience ..

Of course, this is your own site and you can just hit a button or two and its all gone !!

JMHO 8)
Do a search on this board. There are hundreds of car tire threads. Just find me a professional tire engineer who will approve the use of a car tire on a GL1800.

I think you should include the following in every post that you make about car tires:

I (KA&W) am not a professional tire engineer. My tire expertise is primarily derived from installing car tires on airplanes. I(KA7W) take no responsibility for my suggestion that car tires are approved for use on a GL1800 Honda motorcycle.

Neither the tire manufacturer or the motorcycle manufacturer approve of what I (KA7W) propose and I (KA7W) do so without any type of liability insurance if you have a problem. Make sure you maintain adequate medical insurance to cover you in case of an accident.

I (KA7W) will be unable to be found if you have a problem.

And don't forget: "the land of 'e pluribus unum.'" Courtesy of the Wizard in The Wizard of Oz, 1939.

#20 ·
And car tires on an airplane relate to this in what way? Unless you were spending a lot of time on the ground, it's apples and oranges.

But then, you're giving out medical advice as well so we shouldn't be surprised.

The questions in the "poll" all imply this is a valid and reasonable idea, which it is not. Has there been one genuine expert endorse this lame scheme? Has anyone with a single credible credential spoken in favor of this lunacy (and the simple fact you've done it and survived does not make you an expert)?

#24 ·
RayJ (Ala) said:
Who cares, ride the CT if you choose, just please talk about something else.
As much as I'm against CT's on MC's, I can always choose not to read the thread.. so can you. Those that care, can read and respond.

G
#26 ·
mattcaswell said:
RayJ (Ala) said:
Who cares, ride the CT if you choose, just please talk about something else.
As much as I'm against CT's on MC's, I can always choose not to read the thread.. so can you. Those that care, can read and respond.
Threads on CT's are like threads on marijuana. Its the gateway to a lot of other elicit stuff. LOL.

Thats an LOL up there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.