GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wave at every rider, even sometimes give a friendly nod if my hands are occupied. It doesnt matter what kind of a bike it is, and while some choose to wave back in the brotherhood of the fellow motorcyclist, I have never had a police officer on a motorcycle wave or nod back.

What's up with that?

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Or, maybe they want to keep both hands on the bars, and see no reason to wave at every passing person.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Wave

I pulled up next to two of our Motor Officers here in Round Rock TX and nodded to them. They were in single file and I was next to the first one. They nodded back and said "nice bike". I grinned and said "You wanna race?" and he relayed the challenge to the other one. They were both smiling and I said "I could beat you to the other side of the instersection but not much further" And they both waved and laughed and said "We will see you later!"

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Some do.
I met a pair at an intersection in Austin yesterday that did.

·
Banned
792 Posts
I have had one or two give me a nod even here in stuck up SoCal. They were city cops and not the CHP.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I saw a couple of bikes with the riders standing next to the them pulled over to the side of the five lane freeway (on my side) and being the conscientious rider than I am I made my way through traffic and pulled over from the number 2 lane.

As I got closer to them, I realized that they were CHP!

Rather than being rude and just riding off, I pulled in behind them and asked if everything was ok and if there was anything I could do to help! :doorag:

They looked at each other, laughed and one replied, "No, but thank you for pulling over to check on us, enjoy your ride!"

Jennifer

·
Registered
73 Posts
In Kiezer, Oregon they do. I have even had some of them initiate the wave. But I drive the same road through Keizer almost everyday.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I was leading a group of 6 last Saturday and a CHP on a Beemer coming at us initiated the wave.

·
Registered
20,955 Posts
Have gotten friendly waves from many Moto cops and also cops in cars, many around here a nice friendly folks.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
I wonder if all the cops that I never wave at go home at night wondering "why didn't that guy on the Wing wave at me". :shrug: I doubt it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Most wave back at me. I even wave to squad cars and get head nods.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I wouldn't wave to them. Just want them to leave me alone.

·
Registered
584 Posts
When I was a motor cop, I waved at bikes. In fact we taught new motors to wave, often, and also talk to kids, people, etc.

Because, most people only talk to police officers when something bad happens (ie: getting a citation from a motor cop) and we want people to realize that police are human and can be approached outside of those bad times.

I taught this in all my training classes.

BUT, things seem to be changing in the police field and the new, younger officers are getting more 'intense' and have less time to patrol and get to know the normal (non-bad guys) public due to budget restrictions, manpower loss, and desk jockey Commanders who have the next bright idea on paper that doesn't really work. Combine that with the constant stresses of day to day police work, the new officers are not thinking about public relations or waivng, but getting the next task assigned to them completed and STILL get their primary work done.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts