GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remember this from Top Gear? A Reliant Robin three-wheeled car tipping over around every corner? So, why don't trikes do that? I remember H-D saying they were very concerned about the stability if their Tri-Glide, until they realized they were cornering faster on the trike than the base bike! How can that be?

:shrug:

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
1. Low center of gravity

2. Wide rear track

3. Wide rear tires

4. Advanced riding skill over two-wheelers :joke:

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
1F/2R trikes do tend to understeer and can tip over under extreme conditions. Understeer usually causes the rider to back off. On the other hand, 2F/1R trikes tend to oversteer, all else equal.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah, over steering. Lots of tricky fun!

:trike:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I have not personally heard of or seen proof of a GL Trike flipping over unless it was hit by something, it hit something, or it ran off the side of the road, all of which would have been worse on a two wheeler. Although I purposely chose a long, wide, IRS kit to limit the possibility, the Tri-Glide is too narrow for my liking. And (blaming this on being one of the youngest Trike owners) I regularly explore the cornering threshold of the Hannigan, drifting its rear around corners is lots of fun and has changed the view of Trikes for many an "I'll never" two wheel riding naysayer.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Any vehicle can be turned over if you try hard enough. Years ago I saw two guys discussing whether a go kart could be turned over or not. The bet was placed and one guy took off down a dirt path. Sure enough he turned the steering wheel the opposite way in a curve. The go kart flipped over and he got up dusted his clothes of and collected the money.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I have not personally heard of or seen proof of a GL Trike flipping over unless it was hit by something, it hit something, or it ran off the side of the road, all of which would have been worse on a two wheeler. Although I purposely chose a long, wide, IRS kit to limit the possibility, the Tri-Glide is too narrow for my liking. And (blaming this on being one of the youngest Trike owners) I regularly explore the cornering threshold of the Hannigan, drifting its rear around corners is lots of fun and has changed the view of Trikes for many an "I'll never" two wheel riding naysayer. .
Generally speaking, they are quite stable as long as the rider is anywhere near "in control" of the machine. However, we did have one flip during a parking lot training a couple of years ago, but it was caused by rider error more than anything else.

·
Vendor
18,690 Posts
Trikes are less likely to turn over because their weight is mainly inline with a center axis running front to rear, and in the weight in the rear is mainly between the axis along the rear tires. In the video, his weight is always on the side it flips to, making that little 3 wheeled car unstable. If it had equal weight in the passenger seat, it'd be more stable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts