GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why I Don't Like Geico Anymore - here's why...

My 2007 Goldwing with a nice collection of after market add ons was totaled July 16th 2008. At the time I had been with Geico for a very long time. Anyway since July we've been fighting with Geico to do the right thing, and pay for my totaled 'Wing.

FINALLY after my lawyer (who by the way served in the Marines - and is a hell of a good lawyer) told Geico - "we're taking you to court" - decided it was in their best interest to pay what the bike is worth. They should be sending a check for the amount we asked for. My lawyer is also taking Geico to court for loss of use. $150.00 (rental amount for a Goldwing) a day since the day of the accident.

Geico Insurance is history. I will never use or recommend them again. Too bad - back when I started with Geico their customer service was top notch. Now they ain't worth two squirts of duck poop.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I hate that little critter too!

lol

·
Registered
475 Posts
Well I can certainly understand your frustration in that situation. I have had geico for about 12 years and have never had any problems. I had one claim where a woman backed into the wing doing considerable tupperware damage. She and I both had geico. They handled it promptly, that has been about 6 years ago. I will continue to use them until they treat me like that. I do not blame you for your attitude, mine would be the same if I were in your shoes. Good luck.:beer3:

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Probably find the same story with any insurance company. Seems like if it is the OTHER guys fault, his/her insurance company takes care of you. If you have to claim against your OWN company, they let you down. At least that has been my limited experience.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Glad to hear you got your money. I am not surprised about Geico. What used to be "Government Employees Insurance Company" became just another cash cow in Warren Buffet's portfolio. Mutual, rather than stock, companies are usually a much better bet for price and service; however, they can also make you lawyer up for your money.

·
Registered
20,947 Posts
Rif are u saying they had made an offer to pay less than it was worth ?

6 months is a long time to be waiting for them to settle, with the regulations i don't think they would get away with that here in wisconsin

·
Registered
330 Posts
Always was sorry we could not get geico insurance here in canada. Aprrantely that is a good thing. Thanx for the information. Hope they never come here.

Happy rides

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Glad to hear you got your money. I am not surprised about Geico. What used to be "Government Employees Insurance Company" became just another cash cow in Warren Buffet's portfolio. Mutual, rather than stock, companies are usually a much better bet for price and service; however, they can also make you lawyer up for your money.
Please enlighten me. What does Warren Buffet have to do with how Geico treats a policy holder?

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
WOW...i have them...they have been good to me for the last 34 years...and several accidents...hope it works out for you...:cool:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Please enlighten me. What does Warren Buffet have to do with how Geico treats a policy holder?
It has more to do with how a stock company, which has to pay dividends to its stakeholders, treats a policyholder. In a mutual company, the policyholder is the stakeholder. More often than not, it is a big deal in the way a company operates.

·
Vendor
21,871 Posts
Are you aware that Gieco donates Radar Guns to small towns so they can write more speeding tickets.

Just one more reason not to do business with them.

If you're looking for a good motorcycle insurance company, I don't think you will find any better than Markel (Bike Line). The company is run by folks who actually ride. I had a claim with Bike Line and they paid it with zero fuss and gave me top dollar. I couldn't have been treated better.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
God Bless and hope you Get R Done.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I've had Progressive insurance on the bike for a few years. No idea if they're any good, haven't needed to file a claim. Rates are low thou.

Hope you get your settlement quickly

I've heard bad stories about every insurance company, lol

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rif are u saying they had made an offer to pay less than it was worth ?
Correct - they tried to low ball me. Quoted on the entry level Goldwing, and something like pennies on the dollar for add ons. Even after being shown quotes for Comfort/Nav 'Wing, and receipts for all the add ons. BAH!

:trike:

6 months is a long time to be waiting for them to settle, with the regulations i don't think they would get away with that here in wisconsin
Took being taken to court before they decided to do the right thing.

:wrong:

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Probably find the same story with any insurance company. Seems like if it is the OTHER guys fault, his/her insurance company takes care of you. If you have to claim against your OWN company, they let you down. At least that has been my limited experience.
Yep, had that happen with Allstate - yeah, the "good hands" people. I'll not say anything about where they tried to put those hands! :shock:

RiffRaff - Yep, stinks to have to do that; it seems that's the only way now a days.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've had Progressive insurance on the bike for a few years. No idea if they're any good, haven't needed to file a claim. Rates are low thou.

Hope you get your settlement quickly

I've heard bad stories about every insurance company, lol
Be careful - I think (and I may be wrong), but Warren Buffet also owns Progressive Insurance.

:22yikes:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Don't really understand how you are going to sue for lost use, motorcycle rental, on a bike that was totaled? If it was being repaired that would make sense but not on a bike that was totalled.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts