GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PA Route 72 is a major north - south two lane route where I live. There are roads which parallel PA 72 on the east and west. Since I live west of PA 72, I normally take the western roads to eliminate travel on the main road.

Today, I was in the car due to rain. At the time I was headed north, there was a four car crash on 72:

http://www.wgal.com/news/29085456/detail.html

It is Labor Day and alcohol may have been involved. Plus, I was in my new car and had just done my first fill-up!

Imagine what might have happened if a motorcyclist had been caught up in this!

Funny thing is; there is little traffic on the alternate routes and travel time is about the same, or better if you have avoided city traffic.

·
DSI Keeper
9,185 Posts
Unless I can stay completely off the main path, this is the reason I never ride the Friday before and the day before everyone needs to be back at work. You have your least experienced drivers out, driving longer than they are used to, distances. Never mind alcohol and drugs in the mix.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Backroads are the best, I was riding on Hwy 2 in ND this summer and this song came up on the xm so I had to take a picture.

Attachments

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Isn't it really difficult to ride backwards?

Oh, wait; you said "backroads." Never mind!

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Did not go to Rockies Gold this year, primarily b/c of the timing--would have had to travel long distances on Labor Day holiday--I am just not going to do that. Heck, I just don't really ride around any major holiday on the bike.
However, probably heading west this Thursday after work for 6-8 days--no holiday traffic!:thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts