GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that when you enter a HD show room and they find out you own a Wing they want to talk you into a trade. I went with a friend of mine yesterday because he was looking for some pipes for his FLHwhatever and the sales manager greeted us while I was checking out the new trike that HD is producing, not an aftermarket kit, very nice looking but I'm not into trikes yet.
Anyway when he asked me what I rode and I told him a Wing he said we will take that in trade, it must be time for you to upgrade. It also came up that I also have a VTX and I got the same thing, we can take that in trade too.
I would never trade my Wing for anything except another Wing is what I told him, thats the only upgrade I would consider.
So why is it they think it would be an upgrade to go to a HD????

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Why is it that when you enter a HD show room and they find out you own a Wing they want to talk you into a trade. I went with a friend of mine yesterday because he was looking for some pipes for his FLHwhatever and the sales manager greeted us while I was checking out the new trike that HD is producing, not an aftermarket kit, very nice looking but I'm not into trikes yet.
Anyway when he asked me what I rode and I told him a Wing he said we will take that in trade, it must be time for you to upgrade. It also came up that I also have a VTX and I got the same thing, we can take that in trade too.
I would never trade my Wing for anything except another Wing is what I told him, thats the only upgrade I would consider.
So why is it they think it would be an upgrade to go to a HD????
Simple really.

Misery loves company.

:twisted:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They want you to buy a $30,000 ultra!
You got that right, they had a used Ultra I think, custom paint, screaming eagle kit the works, 2006 with 13000 miles for only $27K. How can you go wrong it's a $35K bike tha sales guy said.

·
Misinformed Member
2,272 Posts
It is called selling a motorcycle and earning a commission. The poor guy was just trying to feed his kids.:lol:

·
Registered
880 Posts
ignorance.

·
Registered
475 Posts
He probably has never ridden a wing, therefore he does not know the difference.:beer3:

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Let's look at it this way.

1. You are in a Harley dealership looking at Harley.

2. He is a salesman and it is his job to sell Harleys.

3. Most Harley dealerships around me do not take anything but a Harley in
for trade unless they handle other brands. They will put you in contact
someone who will purchase your ???? brand bike so you can purchase
Harley if you want to do it that way.

4. Possibly if he had not approached you, your post would say something
like this: Was in a Harley dealership today when I rode my Wing there and
they would not even talk to me...:joke::joke:

This is all just a thought and a couple ways to look at what took place. Not really meant to flame you..

·
Registered
261 Posts
He knows that he can resell the Wing with no problem and for a good chunk of $$$. Al :yes::yes::yes:

·
Registered
45 Posts
We need to appreciate HD riders. After all riding is riding. If everyone knew how much fun a wing is to ride then they would all want one. If that happened demand would quickly outpace supply and the price would rise to where we couldn't afford it :lol:

Thanks HD riders

·
Mild Hog
585 Posts
We need to appreciate HD riders. After all riding is riding. If everyone knew how much fun a wing is to ride then they would all want one. If that happened demand would quickly outpace supply and the price would rise to where we couldn't afford it :lol:

Thanks HD riders
I gotta go along with this logic. Keep up the good work HD.:yes1:

·
Registered
100 Posts
My theory is this, Ignorance is Bliss. Some people can't see the forest because of the tree standing in front of them. Just my experience.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Maybe his thing had something to do with this miserable economy... Maybe, the guy who was getting paid to sell Harleys was trying to sell a Harley by offering to trade a Wing or and X. Maybe, he figured the worst he could get told is "no", and the best would be - how much will you give me in trade?????

Probably just another poor sot hanging on by the tips of his fingers trying to make ends meet. I wouldn't take it personal, he probably would have offered a trade if you came in driving an 87 Toyota!

Maybe not......:thumbup:

·
Mild Hog
585 Posts
Maybe his thing had something to do with this miserable economy... Maybe, the guy who was getting paid to sell Harleys was trying to sell a Harley by offering to trade a Wing or and X. Maybe, he figured the worst he could get told is "no", and the best would be - how much will you give me in trade?????

Probably just another poor sot hanging on by the tips of his fingers trying to make ends meet. I wouldn't take it personal, he probably would have offered a trade if you came in driving an 87 Toyota!

Maybe not......:thumbup:
I think your reaching here. "getting paid to sell Harleys" Never heard of that.:joke: My Brother tried selling vacuum cleaners years ago.:shrug:

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
You know, I like them both. HD and GW. I think it would be pure heaven to have an Ultra Classic and a Wing. They are both fun rides and for different reasons. Besides, the guy was doing his job.

Get well BEV.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess what amazed me the most was how many bikes they had in the show room, they just seemed way over priced though.
Of course every HD dealer I have ever been to is huge and always full of bikes. Are they required to be a certain size and carry so much inventory? I will say the place was full of people, a lot of them just looking.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I will give HD salesmen one thing. They are usually much more knowledgeable about their entire line than Honda salesmen are. When I was looking for my ST-1300, the salesman said "What's that?" "Is that a Honda." When I bought my Wing, they had to go out and get the Salesmanager because he was the "only one" in the sales dept. who knew anything about Wings. I guess that's because most HD dealers don't sell snowmobiles and 4 wheelers along with bikes.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts