GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a couple of pieces of perfect Illusion Red Tupperware pieces that I have been unable to find on EBay. So, I was looking at new parts in HDL's parts phish. Just for grins, I ran out the total of all the painted plastic parts. $7700. No chromed plastic, no support pieces, just IR plastic. I don't know if HDL prices are list or discounted but either way, that is gouging by Honda, no if and or buts. Also ran black and it is about a grand less but still crazy.

Very easy to see that even a minor lay down can total a bike.

I've been buying different colored parts for about a year now and almost have a complete bike set. Going to paint them probably Durango Red and put the IR pieces on the shelf.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Its all a supply and demand thing. And Honda knowing that if you screw up those parts you really need them. Cars are the same way though. Stop by your dealer and ask them how much a head light assembly is, or a tail light assembly. This is a big way for the auto manufactures to make some of thier costs back. They dont make alot of money on the parts when they sale the bike or sale to wholesale repair shops. Or shall I say they dont make as much money.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Years ago, I heard of someone that priced out the expense of building a Corvette using body shop prices for parts. Mind you, they were looking to order every nut, bolt, and fastener, as well as the frame, body parts, etc. At the time, list price on a new Corvette was in the $30000 range. The cost of buying one piece by piece was well over $100000.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hmmmmm....makes me wonder if I should just sell my bike piece by piece.... 8)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hmmmmm....makes me wonder if I should just sell my bike piece by piece....
My last bike was an '85 Goldwing Limited. I was speaking to someone that makes a living out of parting out bikes, and they told me that they snatch up all the '85 Limiteds they can find because they're worth so much more as parts than as complete bikes.

·
Registered
343 Posts
parts

I agree with all, my little fender bender that was initially estimated at $1500 has turned into a $9600 monster. It appears, according to my dealer, that Momma Honda will not sell complete parts, such as a saddlebag, but the dealer must order parts separately, and get this, I was told to expect a bunch of the parts to be on backorder. If memory serves me correctly, Honda has been making the GL1800 for a few years now and the tupperware has not changed, only the colors and "yaller" has been around for a while, so what's the big deal? I would look for used parts but I am going to end up forking out my deductible regardless,as I was recently informed by my insurance company.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Harley is no different. Had a swerve for a deer incident that ended up being a laydown in gravel at 10mph. Almost kept it upright but once in the gravel down she went. Anyway, nothing broken or bent. Just scratches in chrome and plastic on the bagger parts. $8,500 to repair and took a couple months to get parts. For whatever reason, motorcycle parts get replaced rather than reworked/fixed/repainted.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Had a run in with a SUV awhile back with my 2002 Yamaha V-Star 1100...

To repair to as was, $7,500...2 hard shell saddle bags were over $1,000 alone. Gas tank $700.00...

To total out and give me check, $4,500

Labor rate was almost half of the total bill...

I think the motorcycle world is gouging in general not just the goldwing sector...

They took the cheap way out. I could not even buy it back as salvage...

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
They Make a New One everyday --Junk it and move on --

·
Registered
335 Posts
Why don't you put all the different colored parts on the bike and take a picture and send it to me.
I have been thinking of picking up a rebuildable 1800 and doing such- i think it would be neat. You could name the bike Ebay!

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I think that if you talk with a paint mixer, he/she will tell you that red is a very expensive color to begin with (has every color of the rainbow, plus a few from the black holes in space). The illusion colors (or pearl, or candy, etc.) will be even more costly, as there is so much more ingredients that go in there.

As for having to buy each part individually for your saddlebag (for instance), you could scream RIP OFF if all you needed was the outside door, but you had to buy the whole thing. It's like when the little relay on your furnace bites the dust, but you have to buy the whole circuit board just to get the new relay.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How about if it is so easy to junk one how come when you call many junk yards no one ever seems to have GL1800 parts - hummm :?: I am in need of a rear front fender section do not even care if it has a scratch, no paint, or even fixable crack in it, but all salvage yards I call say they have nothing. Honda needs $170 for a simple piece of molded plastic :x

Highway robery I say highway robery

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
gizmocool said:
Hmmmmm....makes me wonder if I should just sell my bike piece by piece.... 8)

Back when I had a Hayabusa, I monitored the Busa board. Those guys over there, put their bike up for sale, and if doesn't sell quickly enough, they tear them down, part them out and claim they can actually make more money. Of course it is time consuming.

So many of that style bike gets laid down, etc. that there is a ready market for fenders, etc. Go Figure. :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
All this makes perfect sense to me. If you are building bikes off an assembly line, you know how many of which parts you will need and how often you will need them. If you order them from your suppliers to arrive just in time for them to be assembled, you will avoid or minimize any stocking of parts and inventory costs.

If you are buying repair or replacement parts through a dealer, then you should realize that they will be subject to stocking, inventory, parts managment, obsolesence, handling damage, packaging, and shipping costs for each and every piece. There are real dollars being spent just to have stuff sit on shelves, whether you believe it or not. No, I am not in the retail or production industry, but I was in a manufacturing plant (TRW) many years ago.

You can avoid all of those costs if you do like Red does. Just replace your bike every couple of years with a new one. Hell, I don't think he even has to worry about replacing crush washers!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Re: parts

Hey Terpen, gonna be watchin' for pics of that new paint color.
Not many 1800's around with a complete color change.
DC
Vetteman said:
I would look for used parts but I am going to end up forking out my deductible regardless,as I was recently informed by my insurance company.
Hey Buck, didn't you get clipped in the rear?
Too bad the Insurance folks won't write you a check for that 9600
minus your deductible, and let you fix it.
With all the Triking going on I would think you could pick up the rear stuff pretty reasonable.
Sometimes things just won't work out until ALL THE MONEY is spent. :lol:
DC

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I wouldn't mind getting a new bike every 2 or 3 years but I'm <censored> if I'm going to give the state $1000 each time I buy a bike.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
you will avoid or minimize any stocking of parts and inventory costs
In the 60s I took a Parts Department correspondence class from Ford Motor Company. At that time the costs of keeping inventory in a dealership was $1 per day for each $1000 worth of inventory. 36.5% per year. We tracked parts usage by hand with the help of index cards.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I got bumped while sitting at a red light. It was such a small bump that my wife who was on the pillion didn't even know that we were hit.
It was a Kawasaki Voyager not a Goldwing, but it still cost $1,700 to fix. The cager was furious when the estimate was presented, and swore that I was a thief and was taking advantage of her and it had to be insurance fraud. The adjuster signed off on it and my bike was returned to new.
Honda isn't the only member of the "break it and you will pay dearly" club.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I just hit some ice a week ago, bike went down on the left side, fliped to the right side and slid 60 to 70 feet.
No damage to the frame, forks or engine except for the valve covers. And there saying it will cost $18480.00 to repair.
I was only going about 25 to 30mph and I thought the repair would be about $6000 to $7000 HA!! what a joke that was.

Wht Lightning

1 - 20 of 22 Posts