GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, out for a stroll on the girlfriend sun is out and just cruzin the backroads. Life is grand girlfriend is running great traffic is light. Time to stop for some grub. I find a little burger joint I have never tried. Well it's a knot hole of a place 3 tables and a tiny little parking lot. I order my burger and take it go as the tables are full and I know a spot down the road to enjoy this lunch of mine.

Out of nowhere this voice (the type that goes up your back and hits that nerve, that tells you strangle whatever is making that noise) states out of the blue I WILL NEVER RIDE A MOTORCYCLE MY BROTHER DIED ON A MOTORCYCLE. I look to see a homely looking lady, with a burger in one hand and holding the hand of what I knew had to be her kid, greasy hair snutty nose dirty from head to toe. I looked, said in a gentle tone Sorry about your brother. I figure that's the end, I don't want to know anymore details, and again she does not talk in tones, SHE YELLS so everyone can hear her including the folks that live 2 blocks away, I WOULD NEVER LET BRADLEY RIDE ONE EITHER, as she yanks on the hand of the kid which I take for Bradley poor *******.

I'm thinking I did ask your opinion, You decided you wanted my attention so you yell, I did not want to know the name of your kid or what your future plans include for your child. I scan the parking lot, and see one pickup I figure for the loggers eating I see one nice looking Audi which I take for the lawyer looking guy and his girlfriend and one sky blue Pontiac which looks like it has been threw 2 world wars and a buzzard screwing. BINGO must be hers and Brads.

Slowly I take off my sunglasses, and tell her my brother was killed in a traffic accident, (I have no brother) She replies, oh was he riding a motorcycle too. I reply no he was driving a Sky Blue Pontiac and started talking ****, to a motorcycle rider who was minding his own business. One of the loggers just about fell over from laughter, the lawyer guy stiffled a smile. The lady gave me a look of your an ass, ( I have seen this many times) and just about yanked off poor Bradleys arm as she stormed towards her Sky blue Pontiac to leave. I really dislike people who start conversations, I knew so and so and they are dead because of a motorcycle. I just lost a friend last month due to motorcycle accident. I don't start off this as a conversation piece. And I certainly don't yell about what people drive. Oh well just another road adventure with the public ------ Burger was pretty good though.

·
Registered
205 Posts
God love ya John... we are all plagued with folks that have "issues" and simply don't know when/where it's appropriate vent them and when to quit. Your response was harmless enough and in any event, there wouldn't have been any more graceful way to handle it. FYI, you get points for making the lawyer crack a smile. Carry on!

·
Registered
342 Posts
I feel sorry for Bradley.

That being said we get this now and then. Normally I tell them that we reduce the risk by riding smart etc, but the hard core get my "better to die doing something you love than to to rot in a rest home like my uncle Fester(no, not really:joke:)".

·
Registered
232 Posts
Why do people do that, tell you about an accident where a person died that you or they don't know, just because they were killed riding or rather falling off a motorcycle, it infuriates me, I will often reply, did you see that car crash last week, three people killed, you drive a car don't you, could happen to you! :?
What do they want to achieve, do they think it will make me stop riding a bike, for Gods sake, shut up and just go back to bed.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Why do people do that, tell you about an accident where a person died that you or they don't know, just because they were killed riding or rather falling off a motorcycle, it infuriates me, I will often reply, did you see that car crash last week, three people killed, you drive a car don't you, could happen to you! :?
What do they want to achieve, do they think it will make me stop riding a bike, for Gods sake, shut up and just go back to bed.
DANG! I ain't goin' back to bed! My aunt Susie died in bed...:eek:4:

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
I too feel for the kid. The lady has issues

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
We are different. We accept the risk, we enjoy life and the ride when we can.

A great many people never leave their fear, they worry about anything from that burger killing them to the motorcycle killing them.

They watch Dr. Phil and take it to heart. :joke::joke:

I am just nice to them, with a smile, they do not understand me, but I understand them.

Great way to tell it, you made me smile too.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
My brother died within a week after eating carrots.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Today, out for a stroll on the girlfriend sun is out and just cruzin the backroads. Life is grand girlfriend is running great traffic is light. Time to stop for some grub. I find a little burger joint I have never tried. Well it's a knot hole of a place 3 tables and a tiny little parking lot. I order my burger and take it go as the tables are full and I know a spot down the road to enjoy this lunch of mine.

Out of nowhere this voice (the type that goes up your back and hits that nerve, that tells you strangle whatever is making that noise) states out of the blue I WILL NEVER RIDE A MOTORCYCLE MY BROTHER DIED ON A MOTORCYCLE. I look to see a homely looking lady, with a burger in one hand and holding the hand of what I knew had to be her kid, greasy hair snutty nose dirty from head to toe. I looked, said in a gentle tone Sorry about your brother. I figure that's the end, I don't want to know anymore details, and again she does not talk in tones, SHE YELLS so everyone can hear her including the folks that live 2 blocks away, I WOULD NEVER LET BRADLEY RIDE ONE EITHER, as she yanks on the hand of the kid which I take for Bradley poor *******.

I'm thinking I did ask your opinion, You decided you wanted my attention so you yell, I did not want to know the name of your kid or what your future plans include for your child. I scan the parking lot, and see one pickup I figure for the loggers eating I see one nice looking Audi which I take for the lawyer looking guy and his girlfriend and one sky blue Pontiac which looks like it has been threw 2 world wars and a buzzard screwing. BINGO must be hers and Brads.

Slowly I take off my sunglasses, and tell her my brother was killed in a traffic accident, (I have no brother) She replies, oh was he riding a motorcycle too. I reply no he was driving a Sky Blue Pontiac and started talking ****, to a motorcycle rider who was minding his own business. One of the loggers just about fell over from laughter, the lawyer guy stiffled a smile. The lady gave me a look of your an ass, ( I have seen this many times) and just about yanked off poor Bradleys arm as she stormed towards her Sky blue Pontiac to leave. I really dislike people who start conversations, I knew so and so and they are dead because of a motorcycle. I just lost a friend last month due to motorcycle accident. I don't start off this as a conversation piece. And I certainly don't yell about what people drive. Oh well just another road adventure with the public ------ Burger was pretty good though.
You are good, really good!! What part of Washington?

·
UBposting IBchatting
1,018 Posts
We all do that! :D
Don't use this oil, use THAT oil!
Don't wear this gear, wear THAT gear!
I would NEVER let anyone wear that brand of helmet!
Don't run a c/t, you'll crash, burn, and cause harm to innocent children!
Wear MY brand of underwear or you'll die of heat exhaustion!

We all know better than anyone else, and yes, I've had the same thing happen to me while talking motorcycles. I just tell them about how I felt the same way about bikes until I was 44 years old, but once I finally got my courage up to try them, I was hooked instantly, in spite of the fact that the friend who convinced me that it was safe to ride was killed on his bike two years later. By being patient and positive, I've actually convinced a few women to try riding motorcycles, too. I often get a wink and a thumbs-up from their husbands, when the wives aren't looking! LOL

I suspect there isn't any hope for 'Bradley', though. ;)

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Hospitals, most people I knew that died were in a hospital at the time or shortly after getting out of one.

Try that the next time someone complains about how dangerous motorcycles are.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
That was a funny story. Thanks. My story would have been far more boring because I would have just kept walking after offering condolences.

I agree with QueenB. I think she should join this forum. Sounds like she would fit right in.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
You get an A+ for composition, A for presentation and B for spelling.

Thanks for a well written entertaining short story....keep it up, you are a future O Henry, Edgar Allen Poe or John Updike.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Of course we have all had that happen to us at one time or another. I tell them ' WHEN GOD SAYS MY TIME IS UP, IT'S UP, DOESN'T MATTER WHERE I'M AT OR WHAT I'M DOING SO I MIGHT AS WELL BE DOING SOMETHING I ENJOY INSTEAD OF ROTTING ON A COUCH"

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
You've "seen that look before"? Why would that be? Hmmmm...

We've all got issues John. You could've helped her deal with hers. But no.

Been there, done that, too. But people are brought into our path for a reason, and sometimes we just miss the point.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Been there many times too... I'm gonna try to remember that one. Heh. heh, heh. :twisted:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts