GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why they don't want you to use syntheic rear end oil in a csc trike.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I asked CSC about that and could not get a answer very good answer but they said not to. Maybe u could get a better answer from them, than I.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I called about 6 months ago and they told me the only reason they don't recomend it is because they haven't tested it in their differental.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Csc trike

i asked csc about that and could not get a answer very good answer but they said not to. Maybe u could get a better answer from them, than i.
i've e-mail csc a least two times. They say get back to you in a few. Been waiting two days. Nothing

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
i've e-mail csc a least two times. They say get back to you in a few. Been waiting two days. Nothing
Might want to check your junk mail. Have had some of their replies get trashed on my end before. They have always replied to me very quickly.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Unless (doubtful at best) CSC differentials are equipped with exotic materials and unique components, my guess is that the company isn't sure that the seals will not leak since as it says, it hasn't tested it's differentials with synthetic lubes. Performance wise synthetics are compatible with natural lubes that meet the same standards, though they sometimes manage to seep where natural lubes do not.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
It is like all things, it is O.K and not O.K.

Many synthetic oils and grease and products have a great deal of moly in them. So they are designed for use other than in a wet clutch or rear differential. The product will cause slippage problems.

I use Mobile one oil in my bike. But not just any ole Mobile one. I use the 10 W 30 extended use oil as it is moly free, non energy conserving as so we all know it by. It is the only surviving one that is free of the additives.

So it would be the same with any rear end oil.

They are designed for gears, not slip clutches.

So to be safe regular ole url is the deal in a differential. Unless it specifically says otherwise on the container. And with gear oil it generally does not.

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
Kit. Don't you mean 10w40 Mobil??????????? The one mentioned 10w30 has the non friction additive in it and not recomended for wet clutches. I use 10w40 because of that and it does not have the non friction additive in it. Here in Canada 10w30 oils all have the non friction additive in it. All oils above 10w30 do not have it. Roger

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Kit. Don't you mean 10w40 Mobil??????????? The one mentioned 10w30 has the non friction additive in it and not recomended for wet clutches. I use 10w40 because of that and it does not have the non friction additive in it. Here in Canada 10w30 oils all have the non friction additive in it. All oils above 10w30 do not have it. Roger
I dunno. Been to Canada pretty place to ride. Do not know much about the url up there. :doorag::doorag: I am sure different areas have different things.

In the US of A Wally world, the auto parts stores and so on stock an 10 W 30 extended use mobile one. The only one you will find on the shelf that does not contain the stuff that creates the energy conserving label. So I have been using that one.

Used to yes they had a 10/w/40 that was ok. Simply has not been available in the USA for some time, at least around here. I used to use that one , and Delo and others.

Main thing with a wet clutch and or discs in a rear drive is not to put something in there that can or might or could bond to them and cause them to start slipping.

Modern oils , new cars, engineers, all good, the average engine can now hit 300K if regular service is done. Even an old service van will go 300K, you may go through a couple transmisions, but the engine will still go.

So closer tolerance, thinner oils, polymers , and other inventions in it to cause the moly to bond to the parts.......are not good for slip clutches.

So guess main thing is read the container. If it has those additives, can be harmful to slip clutches.

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
Kit. Last jug I bought of 10w40 Mobil I got it from Wally World in Ocalla Florida just before I came back up North this spring. Things can change since then. We have the 10w40 up here to but pay about 30.00+ a jug for it. [4.4 litres] Buy it down there for 15.00 to 20.00 a jug. I have about ten jugs of oil in my garage. Bring back one to three jugs every year. Roger

1 - 12 of 12 Posts