GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When buying a car or truck, I opt for the full gauge instrument panel so I don't have to worry about the idiot lights. I was disappointed to find the Goldwing lacking some critical gauges.

I'd like to see photos of those who have added OIL PRESSURE and/or AMMETER gauges. I've already seen the VOLT gauges but would like them all together rather than different designs. I like the voltmeter and ammeter so I can see the static condition of the battery as well as discharge status.

Is there a plug-in on the engine block for an oil pressure gauge or will I have to drill and tap?

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
Red need to change his handle to Ee-oor. :lol:

Hmm, I don't know that those are "critical" or vital; but nice to have. I would add oil temperature to my list and maybe throttle body vacuum. How 'bout it Lewis? Can y' work-up a neat package of gagues to look OE?

prs

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
I'd be happy if the ones on there really worked!

... my temp gauge
riding on hot day
riding on cold day
going fast or slow
day or night
parked in traffic until the fans come on
... it reads in the center

I think it's a decal.

Dennis

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
WingWing .... Dennis .... :lol: ROTFLMAO .... decal .... agreed !!!!

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
wingwing said:
I'd be happy if the ones on there really worked!

I think it's a decal.

Dennis

I think it is too.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Just exactly what would an "oil pressure" gage tell you? Where is it listed what the oil pressure should be? How much/little should it fluctuate before you call it a problem?

On my Shovel Head an oil pressure reading below 10lbs was cause to stop and let the bike cool down. That was just a guess on my part.

Gages are great if you know how to read them. If you don't they will just get you in trouble. The best combination is a gage and a light. You will notice the light, but not necessarily notice a gage that moves a little.

I like my Jeep. It has both. Once I was in danger of overheating and the "Check Gages" light came on. It notified me early enough to not cause damage to the engine. Then I was able to monitor the gage to see how it heated up.

The temp gage on my wing is definately not a sticker and I've seen it move plenty. I would like to have a light as well.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Why not FULL GAUGES?
MORE Gauges are better when outside factors are not critical
... i.e.
an airplane crossing the Atlantic at 39,000 feet with a controller watching out for traffic for you.

On the bike, I think FEWER gauges would be safer.

On the bike, need to be riding "head-up", not "head-down".
more gauges would equal more "head-down" time.

On the bike, a speedo and a big red light when something is not right would be enough.

Dennis

·
Registered
65 Posts
wingwing
Gotta disagree with you on 2 points.

1. When you're over the North Atlantic, you are not in radar coverage so there is no controller looking out for you. He is meerly monitoring the position that you and your fellow aviators tell him.

but on the point of the subject

2. IMHO, I would like more gauges that really worked (unlike the temp gauge -- mine also stays centered regardless of conditions) so that I could monitor trends in the engine. Trend analysis is a good way to monitor engine health.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Busflyer - that controller is doing one more thing - he is reserving you a block of airspace in which you can play. And if someone else wants to play, he gets his own block of airspace.

But on to the point - we know about air guages. So how many use them? We have gas guages, and then deliberately push beyond the warning point. We have speedometers, them drive past the limits. Just how many people would notice a 5 pound drop in oil pressure over 5000 miles if they had a guage? About the same number that notice a 30 pound drop in air pressure over 10000 miles? Hey, it still starts, so battery must still be good.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
busflyer said:
Gotta disagree with you on 2 points.
sorta gotta disagree with your disagreement ...

You do have a block to yourself ... that's the point.

and some airplanes are being "watched" ...
check here:
http://flightaware.com/analysis/map_day.rvt

lot's of airplane "blips" in mid-Atlantic ... and mid Pacific

I do agree with trend analysis ...
but let's use the technology ...
On the bike give me a BT connection that I can download later.

for "real time", I think less head down would be better.

Dennis

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
busflyer said:
2. IMHO, I would like more gauges that really worked (unlike the temp gauge -- mine also stays centered regardless of conditions) so that I could monitor trends in the engine. Trend analysis is a good way to monitor engine health.
Why do you think your temp gage is not working? It merely indicates the temp and if that isn't fluctuating then it won't move.

Water cooled engines are a closed system and are pressurized. This increases the boiling point and all but eliminates outside influence. This is a good thing because now the temperature of the engine is constant and therefore more efficient.

Trend analysis is always a good measure of engine performance. I always monitor my mileage. It's the best early indicator of problems. However, I don't believe temperature fluctuations too small to indicate on the Wing's gage will make any difference in performance or efficiency.

Your gage is working and your Wing is running perfect. Don't look for problems where there aren't any.

·
Registered
242 Posts
busflyer said:
I would like more gauges that really worked (unlike the temp gauge -- mine also stays centered regardless of conditions)

Does it? Really? After the bike sits overnight, before you start it to go ride, the temp gauge is centered? I'd get it checked.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I would suspect that by far the majority of Wing owners check the essentials (fuel, oil, air pressure) and don't give a hoot about vacuum intake pressure etc....I know I don't.

I spent all this $$$$ on this motorcycle to enjoy it and the ride, not to worry if my engine oil temperaure is + or - 10 degrees. If it craps out...well that is what the warrenty (sp??) is for.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I've got an idea...

How about those whining about their temp gauges not moving at all trade their bikes with those that cry "OVERHEATING!" every time their gauges move one mark higher? Then maybe you'd all be happy! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
137 Posts
+1 For more comprehensive gauges...

I added a volt meter, head temp gauge, and a gear indicator (all digital). I would like to have additional gauges as well, to include an ammeter, oil pressure & oil temp. I like knowing what's going on with my engine - in real time... but then, I'm just an old gearhead.

There's a reason they're called "idiot lights"... :wink:

·
Registered
9 Posts
More gauges on a gold wing , would be like watching grass grow. With all the engines blowing up really need to watch they closely. :roll: David

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
I'm with the "idiot light" crowd.... besides being an idiot, I have enough head down time as it is working the cappuccino machine.

LEO asks me, "Do you know how fast you were going?" My reply is always, "Not exactly, sir, I watch the road, not the gauges." This has saved my butt on more than a few occasions.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts