GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks...if you truly want a peaceful, laid back holiday in pristine surroundings with no big city traffic and absolutely astounding scenery you must go to Newfoundland, Canada. The countrysides are simply awesome and the people are friendlier than any you may have encountered any other place in the world... Probably the most motorcycle friendly place in all of Canada. Twisting biways through quaint communities with breathtaking seascapes and natural lanscapes make it one of the best kept secrets in North America if not the entire world. Check out the tourism site and if you need any further information, you can email me. Do it once and and you will surely want to go back again. try "www.newfoundlandandlabradortourism.com"..Check it out and the AMA runs two tours in there each year and have a log posted on their website.

·
Registered
403 Posts
We did it in 2004 and found it just as you described. We were fortunate to have ridden from Toronto with a Harbour Grace native and had a guided tour. One of your hidden treasures is Rose Blanche. We hope to visit again soon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Topster.. Thanks for the comments...but I have been to Coastal and inland parts of Labrador and I wouldn't describe the area as "desolate" in any way.

It is home to some of the most remarkable people you could ever meet who take pride in their surroundings and help in preserving the natural beauty of the area.

The landscape,while not largely inhabited,is very unique and offers some of the best scenery and outdoor adventure to be found anywhere.

As the definition of "desolation" states below, it is far from bleak is not decayed or destroyed in any way. The opposite is true in that it is a very vibrant and unspolied area.

"desolation
n 1: the state of being decayed or destroyed [syn: devastation,
ruin]
2: a bleak and desolate atmosphere [syn: bleakness]"
Probably a poor choice of words but appreciate your qualification by referring to Labrador as "a beautiful place" and it truly is..

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Jack, being I live in New Jersey which is a hell of a lot more developed than Newfoundland will ever be, Labrador is desolate to me. To you they were the wrong words, but to me, they are the proper words. May not be decayed etc , but sure as hell is a a bleak and desolate atmosphere type of place for the majority. Just like some areas of Newfoundland. Some areas are occupied, but I sure didn't see any large inhabited areas in central Labrador. Goosebay and Churchhill Falls? They seem to be the only areas of any size that are inhabited. What other areas are there in central Labrador? Did they move some towns into central Labrador? There are only 2 somecalled main roads in the whole country, Rte 500 and 510. The rest is mainly all bleak and desolated country, no one living anyplace except for fishing and hunting camps. The road along the Belle Isle Straits does have some very small towns, but no large areas of inhabitation. The road from Blanc Sablon to Red Bay was no traffic area when I was there. Passed maybe 2-4 cars the whole time from Sablon to Red Bay. It is a beautiful country in spite of being bleak and desolate. Maybe with no one really living there, that is the reason it is so beautiful.....

·
Registered
375 Posts
You need to stop pushing Newfoundland. We cannot let out the secret! I want to get back there before all the tourists discover what a wonderful place it is to visit. I hope to return in 2008 after I retire.

My wife and I occasionally rank our vacations good, better and best. After 40 years of marriage, we have been to more than a few places. :D The motorcycle trip to Newfoundland always ranks as number 1 :D :D

I would highly recommend Newfoundland as a tour destination for anyone. Be prepared for the weather, and plan to spend at least two weeks. We rode all the way, but there are ferry boats from Maine.

Did someone say potatoes? The best you have ever eaten.

Icebergs, ferry boats, beautiful scenery, great people.

Here is a place to stay if you get all the way over to St. John's.

http://www.ohwhataview.com/

Go! You'll never regret it.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Don't tell anyone about Gros Morne National park or the tablelands. I found the Western part of Newfoundland to be my favorite. I stayed at CornerBrook , Hawkes Bay and St Antony while on that side. OUTSTANDING country and people. Took a boat ride down a fjord someplace on the west side, wish I could remembr the name but it was near GM park. I was amazed at the high cliffs coming right down to the water. Watching waterfalls spill over the edge and never make it to the bottom. Truly a "once in a lifetime" trip to be repeated over and over. Made 10 trips it Nova Scotia and PEI, but NF Labrador seemed to overpower them.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Topster

Western Brook Pond? We took the boat ride on WBP. Beautiful is all I can say.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Twillingate and the road to it is quite nice also. That's where we went iceberg watching. Unfortunately the fog got us in Gros Morne so that we couldn't take the cruise. I think we really missed something there. Dang! Now we gotta go back.

·
Registered
285 Posts
there are ferry boats from Maine
Like, from where in Maine to where in Newfoundland, me son?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Yep, I've been to all the places everyone has mentioned. Fantastic!!!! The wife and I have a special affection for Twiingate! Good memories.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Sorry about that. Yes, one needs to go through Nova Scotia first. There are two ferry options from Nova Scotia to Newfoundland, both depart from North Sydney, NS. The short ferry (3+ hours as I recall) takes one to Port Aux Bask (SP??), which is in the southwest corner of Newfoundland. The other ferry is 11+ hours to Argentia (again, SP??) which is on the eastern side of Newfoundland.

We took the short ferry over and the long ferry for the return. Personally, I would not do the long ferry ride again. But, we were on vacation from work and time was an issue. We'll be retired when we go again.

Of course one need not rush across Nova Scotia, as one could easily spend 2 weeks touring. Nova Scotia is more populated, very scenic, and has great resturants. Newfoundland is beautiful in a different way, has very friendly people, and the best potatoes one will eat anywhere in the world.

·
Registered
31 Posts
lovetoride said:
Newfoundland is beautiful in a different way, has very friendly people, and the best potatoes one will eat anywhere in the world.
Couldn't agree more. Met a lady while we were doing laundry and ended up at her 75th birthday party.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Newfoundland

You betcha 7thwing...like I said and others agree, the most friendly people on the face of the earth..!!...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts