·
15 year Member
6,906 Posts
Geeze said:
Zonker said:
http://www.usatoday.com/weather/temppic/wtempusa.htm
Why People Leave Florida :lol:

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Study/ ... e_fran.jpg

This put a huge smile on my face this morning!!! It's 16 here in Boston right now and I am leaving to go to work, I am cold but at least my house will be here when I get back from work!!! When you see that graphic , the cold dosen't seem all that bad!!!

Matt(Ashland,MA)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Re: Why We Live in Florida

You know being a native Floridian and having been through dozens of hurricanes in my short 52 years, I can honestly say that despite the potential threat of a hurricane, this is one of the better places to live.

We prepare down here for hurricanes unlike a lot of people in New Orleans that live in a big bowl and rely on the government to do everything for them. You will find that many of us natives and most long term transplants have no fear of hurricanes, just a healthy respect. That comes from being prepared and not buying a house on a river, or in a flood zone, or right on the beach.

Sure beats the hell out of shoveling snow, driving on ice slick roads, garaging the bike for 6 months out of the year, massive tornados (tornado alley area), or all of that other marginal weather north of georgia.

We don't have the hills, or twisties, but we still love living here and riding all year round.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I thought it was to give house insurance companies their money. LOL's

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've lived in Miami for 60 years. When Andrew hit in 1992 that was the FIRST hurricane we had in 27 years. The last one before that was 1965.

I have never suffered any damage from a hurricane (that's not to say it won't happen someday).

2 years ago was a "History First". Not only is it very unusual to see 5 hurricanes in one year, but Florida saw 5 hurricanes in 2 weeks.

Yes, right now our homeowners insurance is climbimg rapidly and the Florida legislature is in session right now attempting to get insurance rates lowered. But....I predict (me personally) that everyone (nationwide) will see their homeowners insurance go up in the near future (5-10 years).

We will all be paying for these hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes, wild fires, floods, etc.

Just my humble 2 cents worth........ :D

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
For folks livin in MIAMI/DADE, hurricanes are the least threats to their personal safety. :roll:
JMO,
the hobo

·
Registered
76 Posts
Re: Homeowners Insurance

It is high but supposedly our state legislatures are working the problem. Of course, I don't believe anything they say, so I guess we will have to wait and see.

My homeowners insurance is not as bad as some, thankfully, but some are getting hammered.

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
Yeah! You tell 'em Defiant! and Zonker and Red! We prepare for the worse, and hope for the best when it's hurricane season...at least we have some warning...not like earthquakes, tsunamis, tornados, volcanoes, etc....it is 77 degrees today and the sun is shining...I do miss a lot of things about "up North" but would never live there full time again...maybe just those three months of the year it is nice...I went through three of the hurricanes (Frances, Jeanne and Wilma), all direct hits...sounded like trains rolling over my roof...but would not trade it for a blizzard, ever...

·
Registered
679 Posts
I've lived in three countries and moved 17 times, so I kinda have a little experience with living conditions in various places. I moved from Raleigh NC to south Florida the year before Hurricane Andrew. I also recall Hurricanes Hazel, Donna and a couple others that hit my home in Philadelphia. Mostly I can say the folk in south Florida are far better prepared for weather disasters than anywhere else I've been. As for insurance rates..if you are foolish enough (or wealthy enough) to live directly on the coast, or on a flood plain, or east of US 1, then you are gonna get hammered by the insurance. My very good homeowners policy in Broward/Ft Lauderdale was $305/year for an 1100 square foot house before Hurricane Andrew. In the 13 years after that it climbed to $2600/year for less coverage, plus $485/year for flood insurance. In 2005 I moved 350 miles north and 50 feet higher and the same very good policy on more than twice the house (3700 square foot) dropped to $730/year and no flood insurance. Oh, yeh, Florida has no personal income tax, a relatively low sales tax (6-6.5%) and low property tax with increases limited in the constitution to 3% or the inflation rate, whichever is lower.

As for living better in Boston, well, I lived there too, and I remember -30 windchill, and the worst drivers I've ever seen, and $3000/year car insurance policies, coupled with sky-high taxes. Yeh, tell me all about living in Boston.

The fact is, a place is a place, and everywhere has good and bad to it. If I had a choice, I think I'd live in Buena Vista, CO in the summer, and Ponce, Puerto Rico in the winter. Ooops, I forgot, they don't have winter in Puerto Rico.

Ride long and safe..and had a wisdom tooth pulled yesterday, so I suppose I've lost IQ points, eh?

John
ETC (SW) USN ret
The Sabre Group ret
EDS ret
'06 GL18HPNAC6

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Gordy, just saw a article in the WSJ. A $150,000 house in Miami costs about $5,000 per year for home owners insurance, if you want it to cover wind damage. In our neck of the woods that is very expensive for home owners insurance.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I moved here to avoid Michigan's state and local income taxes as well as their inflated property taxes.

Year around boating, flying and motorcycle riding are just an EXTRA bonus!

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
blinkin357 said:
Year around ... motorcycle riding (is) just an EXTRA bonus!
Being able to ride 360 days a year is worth ANY amount of annoyance from Insurance, etc.

Those 6 days you cant ride? Usually the days the temp dips below 70F... hehehehehehe

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Arn Butt Bill said:
This is why I moved to Florida:

This is why I left:
I think the one half way down on the left (in the turquoise top) is a Tranny....

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
Zonker said:
I think the one half way down on the left (in the turquoise top) is a Tranny....
She doesn't look like a transmission to me :wink:

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Now Denny - tell me again what day of the year you people in Florida have to turn on your air conditioning because it is so dang hot and humid down there? A good friend of mine always seems to turn both of his on in April. I'll pass on the humidity and all of the frequent changing of wet sweaty clothes too.

I'm curious, where in Florda do you have some roads and sites like these?

Thanks, but no thanks,

DaleC

1 - 20 of 35 Posts