GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see posts and pics with phones mounted. I thought it was for GPS, but I see some with Navi systems and even other GPS mounted. Why are you mounting your phone then? If it's for something cool, I don't want to be missing out! :grin2:

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
PHone mounting

I use my phone as a stand-by GPS, as a music source, a tire pressure monitor, a ride log recorder, to update SpotWalla, as a camera and probably a few other things that I have forgotten. It is easiest for me to have it mounted on the handlebars. The big thing I have is FoBo to monitor my tires and Waze to notify me of traffic hazards. Having the phone on the handle bars makes it pretty easy to change playlists or Audible books as I go down the road.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
What can you do with a small computer on a motorcycle?

I see posts and pics with phones mounted. I thought it was for GPS, but I see some with Navi systems and even other GPS mounted. Why are you mounting your phone then? If it's for something cool, I don't want to be missing out! :grin2:
Sending text messages
Answering calls
Playing music
Finding gas stations or motels (try that while moving with that built-in GPS)
Knowing if my speed is accurate (current bike is good; other bike wasn't so good) on Iron Butt rides
Sending data crumbs so others can track where I'm at (spotwalla.com)
Google searches for...oh lots of things!

So, that's a start.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll have to look into this SpotWalla thing... sounds interesting.

Do you text and google while riding using like bluetooth and speech to text, or it just makes it easier when you are stopped to not have to fish the phone out of your pocket or cubby? My last wing was a 2004 and I didn't do much long riding on my 2014 Valkyrie so I am kinda out of touch.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Went on a recent 8 day ride to Northern Calif. The ride leader did not have a CB. He did not use his GPS but instead used his phone. The destination was to be a surprise. It sure was. He lost cell service and we all got lost. Had to fire up our GPS's to get to the destination. When he got cell service the phone argued with the GPS. I'm not sure what AP he was using. The detour was however scenic!!!

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
I'll have to look into this SpotWalla thing... sounds interesting.
Depending on your situation, you may need a smart phone (and corresponding app software) or a satellite tracking device (e.g. SPOT, DeLorme, etc.)

Do you text and google while riding using like bluetooth and speech to text, or it just makes it easier when you are stopped to not have to fish the phone out of your pocket or cubby?
Both.

"Google, call Matt" - and before you know it, @Matt(BCNV) is on the line.

On a bike, voice activation isn't such a good thing, so I do have a button to press that will get the attention of the phone. Once that's engaged, I can do quite a bit with it.
@networkguy3 mentioned a couple of other things; just recently added tire pressure monitoring function that's bluetoothed to the phone as well.

Note that just about all of this requires add-on power to keep the phone charged. Plenty of threads sprinkled around here that gives ideas on how to do that, when you're interested.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I have the stock GPS, I use it with my ultimate destination punched in.
I have a Garmin Zumo that I use to enter the entire trip in, I also use it to locate gas, food and lodging on the fly.
I have my phone in a ram X phone holder, I use it for texting, using a weather app, a weather radar app, using Expedia for lodging. I also use it as a back up GPS using an offline GPS app that works even when I do not have cell service.

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the enlightened ideas. All I've added to my bike so far is Kuryakyn pegs. I have the left hand pocket power and Garmin Zumo to install. Just starting all over.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I mounted a phone on my bike when I first got my bike to use my Apple maps. Works great for my use. I have a charging cord routed to it so I get the benefit of a charged phone also.

The down side is it’s butt ugly, not rain proof, the desert summer sun cooks the phone and it’s a distraction to boot.

But the distraction is no different than GPS in a car. I guess society has deemed it appropriate since you can buy vehicles GPS built in.

But I guess eating a Big Mac and driving is also appropriate. Drive-thrus everywhere.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I use my Samsung Galaxy Note for receiving calls and playing music via Bluetooth into the bike system. I also run Waze traffic App, and whe weather becomes questionable I fire up the weather radar App. I've also used the camera to record the license plate and erratic driving of a harassing car.

Greg
2004 GL1800
Rider 123, 2019 Tour of Honor
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Mn voted in a ‘hands free law’ in August. Anyone caught doing more than a 1 touch to wake it up can be ticketed. $50-up/offense. I wonder how it affect riders, especially when they see a guy with 8-10 devices mounted in front of them. State is getting goofier. They did a ‘slow poke/left lane law’ too.

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
Yea I want to look cool lol :superman1:
I like it for
Radar
Maps
Music
Phone

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Mn voted in a ‘hands free law’ in August. Anyone caught doing more than a 1 touch to wake it up can be ticketed. $50-up/offense. I wonder how it affect riders, especially when they see a guy with 8-10 devices mounted in front of them. State is getting goofier. They did a ‘slow poke/left lane law’ too.
I have a feeling that in MN now having a phone mounted may give you some extra attention by the law enforcement folks. Probably not a ticket, unless you are actually interacting with said phone, but you may get followed and observed for a longer than usual time.
I've had enough of dimwit "distracted drivers" but I don't feel the new MN "hands free" law is going to impact the problem causers much. But, it will generate a ton of revenue and allow the law enforcement more reason(s) to stop and check for DUI, warrants, etc. which maybe isn't such a bad thing. I dont really like the new law as it doesn't address other distracted driving habits and singles out phone useage no matter how careful and controlled.
The new enforcement of the "left lane law" I applaud very much. Idiots that spend all their time in a left lane should learn what it's really for.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
I use my Samsung Galaxy Note for receiving calls and playing music via Bluetooth into the bike system. I also run Waze traffic App, and whe weather becomes questionable I fire up the weather radar App. I've also used the camera to record the license plate and erratic driving of a harassing car.

Greg
2004 GL1800
Rider 123, 2019 Tour of Honor
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
This is a great point. The waze app is a awesome tool for safety. It will warn you of stopped Vehicles parked on the shoulder of the roads another road hazards

·
Registered
1,159 Posts

The hands free law doesn't affect me in the least. My phone, whether on the bike or in my truck is connected via Bluetooth. If i want to make a call, play music or ask for directions I use voice commands. I support the slowpoke law. Too many people "park" in the left lane and IMHO create a traffic hazard. If you have ever been on the Autobahn you pass and get over into the right lane. You may be going 100 MPH but that guy coming up behind you may be doing 150 MPH. The left lane is for passing, the right lane is for driving. Another pet peeve is the driver who is on cruise control and slowwwwwly gains on the car in front of him. He pulls out to pass and refuses to use his accelerator to complete the pass in a reasonable time. Arrrrgh!!!

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
If Ohio enacted the slow poke left lane law the state would have a huge surplus. Wherever I go, I can almost always count on a Ohio driver clogging the left lane and doing 10 MPH under the speed limit. :smile2:

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
1st hand experience has now lead me to believe it (slow poke law) is mislabeled, it should be the ‘bullying law’ as it now gives discourteous drivers right to go what ever speed it takes to move you over. Then THEY sit there right beside you. It’s a disaster. I feel it should read so that those doing less than posted are at risk of the ticket. I run 5+ a lot, no issues, but as soon as I pull out to pass, an a-holer exercises their bully rights. The good car or bike just cranks up and walks away, but the winter beater can struggle a bit. Those left laner’s now are going 85 in the 70 since the new law. No courtesy on the roads anymore. I’m old school for sure. Now about those mounts on your bikes dash...My GPS 7” nuvi sits on the center bar of my Heli-bars. Phone is in my pocket, no Bluetooth. I’ll call them back when I get off the road.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts