GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you guys who have ridden both know the difference and why Honda made it standard? I remember the ST1100 got them to reduce back pressure, is that it? Or is it just venting? Anybody know?

·
Chard Member
12,962 Posts
All I can tell you is that air runs upwards inside the windshield all the time with the '04 vented shield. If you open the vent to the first notch the air in the drivers area is calmer than with the vent completely closed. It's like raising the windshield a little.

I'm sure glad they did it again. I missed the vent, especially down here. It depends on how far you open the vent on where the air might hit you. I sit head & shoulders above my shield, but the vent it still great.

P:S
The vent has been easy to keep clean the first 4,000 miles. Love bug season might be a little different! LOL... I liked the 1500 vent and missed it. I have heard some people say they are worried about bugs flying through and hitting them. Excuse me, but we're on a motorcycle here! Bugs, rain, and wind is part of the experience isn't it? LOL...

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Red said:
I have heard some people say they are worried about bugs flying through and hitting them. Excuse me, but we're on a motorcycle here! Bugs, rain, and wind is part of the experience isn't it? LOL...
ROFL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good one RED!!!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Red said:
Excuse me, but we're on a motorcycle here! Bugs, rain, and wind is part of the experience isn't it? LOL...
Speak for yourself, Red. I'm on a couch rocket! :wink:

John in Vegas

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Red said:
All I can tell you is that air runs upwards inside the windshield all the time with the '04 vented shield. If you open the vent to the first notch the air in the drivers area is calmer than with the vent completely closed. It's like raising the windshield a little.

I'm sure glad they did it again. I missed the vent, especially down here. It depends on how far you open the vent on where the air might hit you. I sit head & shoulders above my shield, but the vent it still great.

P:S
The vent has been easy to keep clean the first 4,000 miles. Love bug season might be a little different! LOL... I liked the 1500 vent and missed it. I have heard some people say they are worried about bugs flying through and hitting them. Excuse me, but we're on a motorcycle here! Bugs, rain, and wind is part of the experience isn't it? LOL...
Red,
Did you manage to get an '04 shield and make it fit on your '02? If so how much did you have to pay for a used one and what did it take to make it fit?
Thanks in advance,
Wayne

·
Registered
148 Posts
i just received the vent from HDL. i need to cut the hole in my 2002 shield. anyone have a template for the hole. you can order the honda vent from HDL. 64150-mca-a20 grille, two 64205-mca-a20 grommets, two 90118-mbb-000 bolts, four 90504-964-000 washers, 64170-mca-a20 visor. total price 33.95.

·
Registered
553 Posts
to hiteccher

where at hdl did you find the vent ..i have an o3 1800 ..have you installed it yet ? i didnt find just a vent on the hdl site,,??

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
The '04 windshield fits all previous model years with no modification. Simply don't use the two unneeded mounts on 2001-2003 machines. When existing stock is depleted, the '04 shield will be the only one available for all GL1800s.

Stu

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Got it figured out.

First, put in the foam tunnel covers to stop the air flow up the windshield.

Now, cut a hole in the windshield to get the air flow up the windshield.

Did I miss anything?

Guess I'll go smash some bugs.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I dont know about why a vent in the 04. But I do have a vent in the Tulsa. It helps for me to get some fresh air. It also seems to help when the shield fogs up for no reason. As my SO says, it seems to be less air for her when it is closed. But then I just open it a notch.

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
<<<When existing stock is depleted, the '04 shield will be the only one available for all GL1800s. >>>

I sure hope that isn't true..... because IMO the vent on the 04 windshield is unsightly looking. I prefer the cleaner look of the non-vented windshields.

·
Registered
148 Posts
all of the part numbers i listed are honda numbers. you have to call HDL direct to order. it is not listed for sale on the web.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
I like the vented winder on my 04.

Yep, the bugs do come through the vent. I had a butterfly come through and get caught in the circular vortex of air in front of me. The buterfly smacked my face shield a couple of times and POOF was gone...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts