GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in the Carolinas, I see 20 Electra Glides for every 1 Gold Wing. Up in the mountains, the ratio goes down to, maybe, 15 to 1. Now, I like the Electra Glide well enough, but for about the same money, it ain't no Gold Wing. What gives? :shrug:

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Simple it's a Harley and not an old man's bike and it's "American". Also remember it makes noise.:wrong::wrong:

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Here in the Carolinas, I see 20 Electra Glides for every 1 Gold Wing. Up in the mountains, the ratio goes down to, maybe, 15 to 1. Now, I like the Electra Glide well enough, but for about the same money, it ain't no Gold Wing. What gives? :shrug:
Different strokes for different folks. It's all good :thumbup:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Most Electra Glide owners I know, 200 miles in a day is a long ride......but then again, it's an air cooled v-twin. Nothing matches a wing for the long haul.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The answer for me would be, I like both. If I had to sale one it would be a tough decision.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
We have a lot of bikes in the Carolina's for sure. Most of them are Harley Davidson bikes.

They are tradition, the real iron horse, the original motorcycle. They are about just having a good time, going for a ride and the enjoyment of life.

It was a Harley that started me on motorcycles and I suspect the same for many riders of the current Wing.

They are simply tradition, what a motorcycle is viewed to be, a Saturday ride and a bit of time and fun away from the job, life, and the trials of the world.

Ya should try it sometime, leave your helmet on the shelf, wrap on yure do rag and an old levi jacket some old engineer boots and go for a lazy ride down to the BBQ place. Listen to that engine run as you dawdle along the back roads.

It is not just hype, it is about our freedom of spirit, to get out and enjoy a small amount of time, separate from the daily BS. Be a bit of a rebel, and spit in the eye of what society figures you should be. The ole American spirit and freedom of choice, so sad it is fast vanishing.

Ole fart high society Wing Riders, who order Geritol by the case and wear bright yeller suits.........and stuff socks into the mufflers to quiet their ride, just do not understand. They have forgotten it used to be all about a bit of fun, now they just cannot comprehend, life has led them a new way, and they belong to the committee to go green against noise. :lol::lol:

When you forget that ........go get a BMW and a yeller suit. :joke::joke:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think most of yall talking about all day ride, have not ridden one. I have an 03 EG and me and the wife have a lot of 600 mile days...as a matter of fact, alot of times my EG is more comfortable than my wing

Attachments

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
rented an '09 Ultra and put 600 miles on it in 1.5 days. Found the seat to be a lot better for me than the '04 Wing I have, found the vibration at idle to be wild, but once moving, vibration isn't a problem. Loved the feel, didn't think it was underpowered, even two up. Heat, yes, more on my legs than on the Wing and my Yamaha Venture Royale. But that can be dealt with one way or another. I want one eventually. I find it a completely modern motorcycle with the single exception or being air cooled. If they ever water cool the Ultra, I think it will still sell great. I know I would line up quick to buy one.

I know a lot of others would rebel and wail and cry, but not me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Harley riders are dedicated, no matter what the cost. Its all good thanks to the Bill of Rights. I prefer the comfort, and power of the wing. This bike (to me) is an awesome ride. I have tried the EG and it was definitely lacking in both power and comfort. Ok, the comfort part may be opinion, but you cant hide the results of stock against stock in a 1/4 mile run. No comparison.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I rented and rode a EG for 3 days and I loved the experience except the heat from the exhaust pipe cooked my leg when riding in slow traffic or sitting at a light. I too would like to have one. But I still love my wing. :thumbup:

·
Registered
197 Posts
We have a lot of bikes in the Carolina's for sure. Most of them are Harley Davidson bikes.

They are tradition, the real iron horse, the original motorcycle. They are about just having a good time, going for a ride and the enjoyment of life.

It was a Harley that started me on motorcycles and I suspect the same for many riders of the current Wing.

They are simply tradition, what a motorcycle is viewed to be, a Saturday ride and a bit of time and fun away from the job, life, and the trials of the world.

Ya should try it sometime, leave your helmet on the shelf, wrap on yure do rag and an old levi jacket some old engineer boots and go for a lazy ride down to the BBQ place. Listen to that engine run as you dawdle along the back roads.

It is not just hype, it is about our freedom of spirit, to get out and enjoy a small amount of time, separate from the daily BS. Be a bit of a rebel, and spit in the eye of what society figures you should be. The ole American spirit and freedom of choice, so sad it is fast vanishing.

Ole fart high society Wing Riders, who order Geritol by the case and wear bright yeller suits.........and stuff socks into the mufflers to quiet their ride, just do not understand. They have forgotten it used to be all about a bit of fun, now they just cannot comprehend, life has led them a new way, and they belong to the committee to go green against noise. :lol::lol:

When you forget that ........go get a BMW and a yeller suit. :joke::joke:

Nice.....:yes1:

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
I wouldn't want an Electra Glide, been there, done that! But I wouldn't mind having a CVO Road Glide with a 110 inch motor and a 6-speed tranny! In addition to my Wing of course. ;)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hey Kit I love your reply. I went out to a Harley demo day 2 weeks ago, first time I ever threw a leg over one. Rode a Deluxe and then an Ultra Limited, short version is they are different but a hell of a lot of fun. Kind of like comparing apples to oranges. If I had the money I'd own one to go with the Wing and the Vstrom.
Of course the same day I demoed a FJR, I need one of those too!

PS that Ultra seat was made for my big butt, that is what the Wing needs on it.

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
rented an '09 Ultra and put 600 miles on it in 1.5 days. Found the seat to be a lot better for me than the '04 Wing I have, found the vibration at idle to be wild, but once moving, vibration isn't a problem. Loved the feel, didn't think it was underpowered, even two up. Heat, yes, more on my legs than on the Wing and my Yamaha Venture Royale. But that can be dealt with one way or another. I want one eventually. I find it a completely modern motorcycle with the single exception or being air cooled. If they ever water cool the Ultra, I think it will still sell great. I know I would line up quick to buy one.

I know a lot of others would rebel and wail and cry, but not me.
I agree. If Harley had water cooled the Ultra for 2012, I would have bought one. However, I just bought a 2010 Gold Wing, Level 3, so may consider switching to Harley when they finally offer liquid cooling. Without a doubt, the fun factor on Electra Glides is greater. I see the Wing as much more sophisticated and reliable!

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
Hey Kit I love your reply. I went out to a Harley demo day 2 weeks ago, first time I ever threw a leg over one. Rode a Deluxe and then an Ultra Limited, short version is they are different but a hell of a lot of fun. Kind of like comparing apples to oranges. If I had the money I'd own one to go with the Wing and the Vstrom.
Of course the same day I demoed a FJR, I need one of those too!

PS that Ultra seat was made for my big butt, that is what the Wing needs on it.
It seems like you love every bike you ride, much like me. I've never ridden a bike I didn't like.:thumbup:

·
Registered
476 Posts
You pegged me Treeman, some are more fun than others but I enjoy every one I get on. It all started with a Sears 26" bike with a tank and built in headlights about 47 years ago.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think most of yall talking about all day ride, have not ridden one. I have an 03 EG and me and the wife have a lot of 600 mile days...as a matter of fact, alot of times my EG is more comfortable than my wing
Had an '04 roadglide. Great bike. 1254 miles in 24 hours. Put over 30K on it. Great bike. Comfortable. Just not a fan of an air-cooled v-twin. Not for the long-haul anyway. I will admit to a "stirring" of my soul when I walk into a HD dealership. Very few motorcycle dealerships have learned to capture that spirit. Al Lamb's Honda dealership in Dallas TX has done pretty good but still not the same. I wish HD would put that v-rod revolution motor in one of their tourers.

1 - 20 of 178 Posts