GL1800Riders Forums banner

Why Won't Honda Bring This to the United States?

5K views 51 replies 35 participants last post by  keysyrider 
#1 ·
Varadero 1000 - Why Won't Honda Bring This Motorcycle to the United States?

The Honda Varadero 1000 has been produced for 10 years and is extremely popular in Africa, throughout Europe, and as of 2008, Canada. It is considered a very good long range touring bike with outstanding reliability, excellent ergos and legroom, especially for tall riders above 6'2".

I know this post has nothing to do with a GL1800 - I'm just venting over Honda's marketing decision to keep this proven bike out of the United States.

See less See more
#5 ·
I love my Triumph Tiger the Honda looks similar and is probably a great all around bike from back roads to highways,as is the Tiger!

Engine Type Liquid-cooled 90-degree V-twin

Displacement 996 cc

Bore & Stroke 98 mm x 66 mm

Compression Ratio 9.8:1

Valve Train Chain-driven DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder

Fuel Delivery PGM-FI electronic fuel injection

Transmission Six-speed

Final Drive O-ring-sealed chain; 16T/47T

Front Suspension 43 mm telescopic fork; 155 mm (6.1 inches) travel

Rear Suspension Pro-Link single shock with spring preload and rebound-damping adjustability; 145 mm (5.7 inches) travel

Tires 110/80R–19 radial front; 150/70R–17 radial rear

Brakes Front dual 296 mm discs with triple-piston calipers and Combined Braking System with ABS; rear 256 mm disc with triple-piston caliper and Combined Braking System with ABS

Seat Height 838 mm (33 inches)

Seating capacity Two

Wheelbase 1,560 mm (61.4 inches)

Curb Weight 276.7 kg (610 pounds) including required fluids and full tank of gas – ready to ride

Fuel Capacity 25 litres

Colour Concours Black Pearl, Storm Silver Metallic

#7 ·
You answered your own question. Marketing decision. Marketing gets paid for convincing their own companies that they are geniuses. No mater how stupid their decisions. Then the execs must brag about what great ideas they bought into. No mater how stupid they were and how much they hurt the company.

That's the way the business world works.

Don't you read Dilbert?

#9 ·
When Honda drop importing the Transalp years ago it said there was not a big market for it in the USA, I think their timing was off a bit looking back over the years with a lot of riders into the dirt road riding. They should take a look how great KTM been doing. Anyone has any doubts about the great riding in the back country should take a look at the rides the boys have done on www.advrider.com . The wing is fun on the pavement but when that ends the fun part usually ends also!:eek:4:

Dennis
02 orange
06 KLR 650

#10 ·
You answered your own question. Marketing decision. Marketing gets paid for convincing their own companies that they are geniuses. No mater how stupid their decisions. Then the execs must brag about what great ideas they bought into. No mater how stupid they were and how much they hurt the company.

Don't you read Dilbert?
So they decide to sell us a DN1 & a chopper :twisted::twisted::twisted:

#11 ·
Africa Twin

On Saturday, I went to my local Honda dealer to take a look at my new Goldwing, still in the crate (yeah!). When I was in the back of the dealership, I noticed a Honda I'd never seen before. The manager told me a customer from overseas brought this bike to the states with him. It's called a Honda Africa Twin, and I took a picture of it with my cell phone. It's a great looking bike, and there is quite a following world wide if you google it.
Here's my photo::yes1:

Attachments

#12 ·
On Saturday, I went to my local Honda dealer to take a look at my new Goldwing, still in the crate (yeah!). When I was in the back of the dealership, I noticed a Honda I'd never seen before. The manager told me a customer from overseas brought this bike to the states with him. It's called a Honda Africa Twin, and I took a picture of it with my cell phone. It's a great looking bike, and there is quite a following world wide if you google it.
Here's my photo::yes1:

they make a 750 and a 1200

#14 ·
the Varadero looks interesting but pleeeeaase get rid of the chain drive, then i might buy one and ride it to Prudhoe bay

the Transalp they used to sell here but very few folks bought them, times have changed i think they would sell better today

dilbert ? yes u sure got that rite

#15 ·
You can't just throw saddlebags and a trunk on a bike and call it a touring bike. That doesn't look like any more of a touring bike than if you slapped saddlebags on a Nighthawk.

Besides, Honda already has two touring bikes, and neither one is at the top of their sales charts. They aren't going to introduce a bike to compete with a low production touring bike they already have, the ST1300.

The Varadero would attract the type of rider that goes for the Suzuki Bandit. As great a bike as the Bandit is, it doesn't sell well either.

The US has a fascination with cruisers, and until that dies down, Honda and the rest of the manufacturers are just going to continue focusing on that demand. We are stuck. There are simply too many riders want to play out their Easy Rider fantasy.

#16 ·
You can't just throw saddlebags and a trunk on a bike and call it a touring bike. That doesn't look like any more of a touring bike than if you slapped saddlebags on a Nighthawk.

Besides, Honda already has two touring bikes, and neither one is at the top of their sales charts. They aren't going to introduce a bike to compete with a low production touring bike they already have, the ST1300.

The Varadero would attract the type of rider that goes for the Suzuki Bandit. As great a bike as the Bandit is, it doesn't sell well either.

The US has a fascination with cruisers, and until that dies down, Honda and the rest of the manufacturers are just going to continue focusing on that demand. We are stuck. There are simply too many riders want to play out their Easy Rider fantasy.
You nailed it, Dude.:yes1:

#18 ·
I owned a Honda Transalp, and rode it quite a bit. My experience was a negative one. It was a crappy trail-bike way to heavy and top heavy as well. It was a Very crappy road bike with very little power and pathetic dirt bike brakes:eek:4: . That thing nearly got me killed on road (the only time I ever "over cooked" a corner and went into the weeds).
I just assumed it was longing for a woods trip.
And it was very easy to drop off-road. I have plenty of off roading experience and this bike was a death trap. Also, it is the ONLY honda that ever left me stranded. Of all places right on Top of "the SkyWay" bridge here, over Tampa bay. Yes, I did coast it down the other side. .......Don

Dirt bikes for dirt, street bikes for the highway. They can keep those GS
types.

#19 ·
The only reason Honda does not sell this bike here is because of the bean counters and the marketing people have decided for whatever reason they would not sell enough of them here.
I sure would take a hard look at buying one.

#20 ·

Don't you read Dilbert?
There is a lot of truth in what you said! When marketing and/or finance gets a firm hold in company, you can be generally be assured of many stupid decisions, if not outright failure.

#21 ·
Honda missed and Suzuki is selling

The Honda Varadero 1000 has been produced for 10 years and is extremely popular in Africa, throughout Europe, and as of 2008, Canada. It is considered a very good long range touring bike with outstanding reliability, excellent ergos and legroom, especially for tall riders above 6'2".

I know this post has nothing to do with a GL1800 - I'm just venting over Honda's marketing decision to keep this proven bike out of the United States.

I bought a V Strom to supplement my GL 1800; never have regreted it and unless we are two up the V Strom is my choice to hit the road with.

#22 ·
Why Won't Honda Bring This Motorcycle to the United States?

Why doesn't Honda bring back the Cub to the entire North American market? I'd buy one to ride back and forth from work on. Those little things are indestructible. Apparently I can buy a brand new on in Mexico but that's a bit far to go for me.

#24 ·
This brings back memories of when Yamaha first introduced the FJR1300. Because of their stupid reasons, they had it available in Europe, but not in the US. They thought that there was no market here, then kicked themself in the a$$ when they realized how well it was accepted once they decided to bring it here.

Stupid is as stupid does and Honda's R&D is full of stupid people. Of course, as always, this is just my opinion and your mileage may vary!

Mike

#25 ·
#26 ·
Honda is in business to make money and that has to be. They pretty much know how many units it takes to be profitable and evedently this bike would not be one of the money makers. I feel it wouldn't work just as the Trans Alp did not work. Lack of buyers.

To me it's just ugly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.