GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the problems,bad seat,cupping tires, bad suspensions,heat on riders,tranny gears,radios that suck,storage problem have to pull a trailer,light that need upgrade,handle bar to high to low,fan that blow wrong,saddlebag and trunk not fitting or closing right and on and on. everyday someone come on here saying about all these troubles then say its the best bike around. Kinda like a guy beating his wife everday telling her he love her so much...HUH.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Slow night at the funny farm? :popcorn:

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Most wing owners have no problems at all...like me....I have never had a problem of any kind with mine. Never touched it with a tool except for oil, spark plugs, air cleaner and tires. I just ride it and enjoy it. Best thing I have ever owned.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Most all of us have complained one time or another about our wives/girlfriends, and vica versa, but it doesnt mean we dont love them or would rather be with someone else. This world is full of folks that look at things differently. Some people are perfectionist and expect everything to be perfect, others just want the best performance,comfort and or beauty they can possibly get, and then there are those that dont have a very high expectation and as long as it cranks, rolls, and gets them there and back is ok with them. None of the 3 are wrong...just different.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
With all the problems,bad seat,cupping tires, bad suspensions,heat on riders,tranny gears,radios that suck,storage problem have to pull a trailer,light that need upgrade,handle bar to high to low,fan that blow wrong,saddlebag and trunk not fitting or closing right and on and on. everyday someone come on here saying about all these troubles then say its the best bike around. Kinda like a guy beating his wife everday telling her he love her so much...HUH.
:agree:

Slow night here too.... but I too have always been amazed at the number of people here who absolutely rag on this bike, yet own it and wouldn't have anything else.

I have an essentially stock wing, and I'm very happy with it. Needed a back rest and hwy pegs... ?the bike's fault?... not really, more the fact that my body needs these creature comforts.

Best bike I have ever owned....

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
I'm assuming that you are not voicing your displeasure with the bike, but rather commenting about all the whining that goes on here.

There isn't anything wrong with wanting to improve a particular area of a vehicle that you think should perform better. It's been a ritual for men with both cars and motorcycles as long as they have existed. Even a top of the line vehicle can be improved. Otherwise, everything would be Rolls Royce's and Ferrari's, and nobody could afford one. The aftermarket is a multi-billion dollar industry, and most of the parts are NOT for Goldwings. That should tell you something about the Goldwing vs everything else.

The difference is that on most car and motorcycle forums, members just ask what they can do to improve the vehicle, whether it be the suspension, the radio, or whatever. Here, they either whine and complain about it a dozen times before doing something, or don't do anything and just keep whining. The worst are the ones that mess the bike up, and then complain about it. The perplexing complaints are the ones by those who complain about a problem when their bike doesn't even have the problem. I have never understood that one.The only posts that really get to me is when unsuspecting members are duped into believing they have a problem when they don't.

Things break on all makes and models. If yours breaks, it doesn't mean that everyone else's broke too. Get it fixed, move on, and thanks for the heads up. Don't dwell on it. Life's too short.

It's no secret that Goldwing owners are opinionated. Most people become less tolerant as they get older, and there is no doubt that the average age of a Goldwing owner is higher than with other bikes. It comes with the territory. (He says with a sigh.)

But on a more compassionate side:

Sometimes people are just frustrated with a problem they are having, and need to share it to relieve the anxiety. That's ok. We should accept that and try to help them. Message boards are a funnel for complaints. SIG forums draw far more people looking for solutions to problems than people just looking for a social site, so it is natural to see a flood of complaints. Many times, what seems to be a constant flow of whining is just the result of the type of medium this is. You have to keep it in perspective. I have been here a long time, and yet even I forget that sometimes.

It's like a doctor's office. Everyone there is sick in some way, or was. If that was all you were exposed to, you would think that everyone in the world was sick.

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
show me a better tourer
the bmw comes close but come repair time better have a sack of hundreds:popcorn:

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
I bought mine because it is the best motorcycle that money can buy for comfortable long distance travel as well as day rides or daily short trips.

It has been proven durable, reliable, reasonable to service and maintain, and has an excellent resale value over many years and millions of miles.

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
I bought mine because it is the best motorcycle that money can buy for comfortable long distance travel as well as day rides or daily short trips.

It has been proven durable, reliable, reasonable to service and maintain, and has an excellent resale value over many years and millions of miles.
That pretty well sums it up, M/Chief

I don't even own a Wing yet, but when I do make the plunge, I'll be using your logic!!

·
Registered
474 Posts
How many Harleys have you seen with a 100,000 mile plus on them? Case closed

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Trell, you have belly-ached about the 'wing since you joined this board. Are you trying to help yourself feel better about trading it off for a VTwin so that you fit in with the cruisers? Does it bother you so much that many of us really love the GoldWing? Sell or trade yours and get a VTwin if it is what you want. We won't mind, honest. There are plenty of good roads to ride! You must ride US 27. All of those stop lights through Somerset would make anyone upset.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I'm assuming that you are not voicing your displeasure with the bike, but rather commenting about all the whining that goes on here.

There isn't anything wrong with wanting to improve a particular area of a vehicle that you think should perform better. It's been a ritual for men with both cars and motorcycles as long as they have existed. Even a top of the line vehicle can be improved. Otherwise, everything would be Rolls Royce's and Ferrari's, and nobody could afford one. The aftermarket is a multi-billion dollar industry, and most of the parts are NOT for Goldwings. That should tell you something about the Goldwing vs everything else.

The difference is that on most car and motorcycle forums, members just ask what they can do to improve the vehicle, whether it be the suspension, the radio, or whatever. Here, they either whine and complain about it a dozen times before doing something, or don't do anything and just keep whining. The worst are the ones that mess the bike up, and then complain about it. The perplexing complaints are the ones by those who complain about a problem when their bike doesn't even have the problem. I have never understood that one.The only posts that really get to me is when unsuspecting members are duped into believing they have a problem when they don't.

Things break on all makes and models. If yours breaks, it doesn't mean that everyone else's broke too. Get it fixed, move on, and thanks for the heads up. Don't dwell on it. Life's too short.

It's no secret that Goldwing owners are opinionated. Most people become less tolerant as they get older, and there is no doubt that the average age of a Goldwing owner is higher than with other bikes. It comes with the territory. (He says with a sigh.)

But on a more compassionate side:

Sometimes people are just frustrated with a problem they are having, and need to share it to relieve the anxiety. That's ok. We should accept that and try to help them. Message boards are a funnel for complaints. SIG forums draw far more people looking for solutions to problems than people just looking for a social site, so it is natural to see a flood of complaints. Many times, what seems to be a constant flow of whining is just the result of the type of medium this is. You have to keep it in perspective. I have been here a long time, and yet even I forget that sometimes.

It's like a doctor's office. Everyone there is sick in some way, or was. If that was all you were exposed to, you would think that everyone in the world was sick.

What he said. My wife calls me a crotchety old man. I tell her I've always been crotchety - has nothing to do with age.:joke:

·
Registered
420 Posts
This is my 3rd season owning my 08 wing. Complaints -0. Just switched tires for the first time at 14000 miles, Went with the stones. Got them from Directline $300.00. Best price around. It is a JOY riding. And with the new tires, It seems to ride a little better. So far No WOBBLE. I will be monitoring and running 41 pounds. There's nothing like a JET on 2 wheels. :thumbup:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Still the best bike i ever owned. Some will never be happy with anything they have.:agree:

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Because I like it and it's my money.

I'm one of those funny-headed people who likes what I like and really doesn't worry about what others say or think.

Other than routine maintenance (fluids, battery, tires) and adding a few functional farkles, I haven't had complaints.

At 6'3", I'm certainly not "average", but I'm comfortable -- able to ride 500-1200 miles a day without discomfort.

Maybe I my standards are just too low...

1 - 20 of 57 Posts