1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
380 Posts
My faceshield looked exactly the same when I went over the top of my windshield and landed on my face. If it wasn't for the shield, I would have ground my nose down to nothing as I slid down the pavement. That's why I wear a fullface helmet.

·
Registered
407 Posts
When you do a faceplant in a 3/4 or half helmet and leave your nose and chin on the pavement, guess where they get the skin to replace it? Gives new meaning to the nickname Bu**face...

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have a similar looking helmet - been riding for approx 35 years and never used full face helmets until this past year. Glad we switched or I would be missing some facial parts after an accident that left me tumbling on the interstate.

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
I wounder how one of the flip fronts would have done in that crash? I wear a full face and love it. Evan in 100 degree temps.
Mick :yw1:

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
Also, I hope that guy was wearing more than shorts and a t shirt when he went down.
Mick :yw1
:

R

·
0 Posts
helmet

i had a seer lift up type on a 3/4 pro police in oct of 03 no bound on i-75 out side of macon . got hit by police car that got hit in rear by a car at over 100 mph that was being chased by police, he knocked police car across i-75 and took me out. if i had not been wearing protective gear, boots, jacket pants and helmet i might not be writing this, i now have new nolen full face, but the seer full shield saved my face. ride safe.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I always wear a full face. A couple of years ago I bought a set of 1/2 helmets. It was so hot out. I wore them once. Felt like I had nothing on at all. Proper protection is the different between pain and suffering and walking away hurting but not mangled. You not going down on a 700 pound bike and get nothing unless your extremely lucky. In a slow crash a helmet may make the difference between having a brain that works or not.

I like to eat, and I have enough problems without adding no face to them. To me the beanie (clam dip helmet) looks cool on a cruiser or chopper but offers little protection. Some don't want a helmet at all and have various reason why... we all heard them before. Kinda like loud pipes saves lives. Yeah,, Experience, skill and watching your ass saves lives. Educating the puiblic saves lives. Loud pipes give everyone a headache and a ringing in the ears. Those that choose not to wear a hemet and I do respect their choice most likely have little to protect anyhow but regardless its their choice and ultimately the burdon will be on their family and friends should they mess up there brain.

I don't want to get in a helmet debate but a full face is the only way to go as far as I'm concerned. On a GW it look great too.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Regarding the full-face flips -- in my situation, both my wife and I were wearing HJC Symax full-face flips and they performed exactly as advertised. I impacted the pavement on the left, right, and front of the helmet leaving gouges and scrapes all along the way. For the front, the scrapes started above the face shield and continued across the facial area. I had no qualms in replacing the helmets with new HJC Symax's.

S

·
0 Posts
Although my wife (SO) :wink: and I always wore helmets we never owned full face except for snowmobiling.
Two years ago we made the unanimous decision to dodge a Dodge and promptly put the bike on the ground (high side) I landed first - on my head and my wife on top of me. I ended up scraping off part of my forehead and she lost a portion of her chin. Both helmets were smashed and scraped but we both walked to the ambulance unassisted. I have two brand new full face helmets now. Still ride in shorts and teeshirts so please don't get the idea I have retained any common sense. :lol:

·
Registered
561 Posts
Helmets

I was hit from the side by a truck doing 40mph, right across the fairing on my GL500i and was tossed into the air like a rag doll when the front wheel of the truck drove over mine. Instinct took over and I hit the ground shoulders first, having tucked my head out of danger's way and rolled several times before coming to a stop. It was pure instinct, as there was no time to formulate a plan of action. My bare (un-helmeted) head never touched the ground. I credit it to martial arts training, and I had not had a lot of it at the time.

Before you take this as an anti-helmet post, its not! I wear a 3/4 helmet regularly now, but learning how to fall helps as well.

So, take a summer Judo class as part of a protection strategy. :D

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Full Face

Stopped in traffic and hit from behind by a drunk at 35+ mph. Honda 750, and myself were shot ahead and slammed underneath the rearend of a Chevy. Was wearing a full face helmet. Everything got wedged under gas tank of Chevy. They had to lift rear end car to get me and what was left bike out from under the car. My life was saved by the FF helmet no doubt. It was wedged under rear axle. Without a FF would have be killed no doubt. Spent 6 mos intensive care etc, but kept helmet and hung it on garage wall to remind me of how quick it all can be over with and the to NEVER ride without a FF helmet. ALso had a friend who did a face plant at speed with a 1/2 helmet. He lost his face from the nose bridge down. He has no face from nose down. He died years ago, but always wished he had been killed in the accident that took his face.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I am in the full helmet camp, even in 100+ heat in the desert. I have found that the helmet acts as an insulation so the brain does not get so cooked...even if really hot at a stop. My choice was leared the hard way, as when younger I did the no helmet thing and the one time a truck turned in front of me the bike (Triumph Bonnieville at the time) caught the back bumper. Totalled the bike, totalled me-spent a week in a coma, covered with road rash. So since that experience, when I ride, it is protective gear....if no gear, no ride. So simple and a personal choice.

:yw1:

·
Registered
90 Posts
WIfe and I both wear full face helmets. And it gets real hot here in Florida.

:yw1:

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Lots of great testimonials here. Both Meesh and I went down real hard in 96.

I kept our damaged helmets, and have them hanging in the garage as a sign for Haley buds and as a reminder for me when I want to jump on the crack bike with just a tortoise shell.

Unfortunately, I have extreme claustrophobia, and a 3/4 is pushing me to my threshold. Sometimes we have to make sacrifices, to make it work!

I will say though, that you will never see me riding with "NO helmet on!

Bulldog

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
While I have always worn a helmet, it has been a 3/4 style. Twenty + yrs. ago I tried 2 different FF helmets and just couldn't get comfortable with them. After seeing these pictures and reading about the accidents that riders have had, well.....guess where I'm going this afternoon. With all the vast improvements and choices of FF helmets I'm sure I'll be able to find one that suits me this time. Common sense tells me that I've gambled long enough and up to now I've been lucky, but the question is: "When will my luck run out". Thanks for the reality check.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I have 2 retired half helmets and 2 retired 3/4 helmets, 3 in excellent condition and I just cringe when I think about wearing any of them. My 3/4 helmet does have one deep gash in it from a large rock that hit it about 1 inch above my eye. I got one night riding home from work on the freeway. I've often thought about that moment and sure wonder sometimes when I see what people wear for a helmet (and don't get me started on not wearing one at all)....

Love my full face!

DaleC

P.S. Oh, the 3/4 helmet with the gash is the nice looking one to the left on my bike.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I got used to full face helmets riding on mountain trails in Alaska. There is lots of Alder brush with branches overgrowing trails as fast as lyou can clear them out. No full face = no fun in the brush. Even in the high summer temps down here, the full face is doable.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Bulldog said:
Unfortunately, I have extreme claustrophobia, and a 3/4 is pushing me to my threshold. Sometimes we have to make sacrifices, to make it work!
Hay Bulldog, Sandie is claustrophobic also maybe not to your degree but her shoie gave her the hebe gebes and her Schuberth helmet doesn't affect her that way. In the pix below notice the space in front of her face and the side of her helmet at eye level, she says beings she can't see the side of her helmet helps with the claustraphobic stress.

Al

1 - 20 of 35 Posts