GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In all that's holy, would a dealership put an oil filter on so tight that the Incredible Hulk himself couldn't get it off? A 30 minute oil change is quickly becoming a 2 hour ordeal! Now I'm off to the dealership to get a filter wrench that I hope will work better the one I have, that under normal circumstances should have worked. :mad::mad:

Rant over.

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
Yeah @Captain Jim was just remarking about that. He had to screwdriver punch it to get it off.

Reactions: Captain Jim

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, Im back from the Honda shop. The new wrench is the same as I had. I put channel lock pliers on the filter and tried to turn it. It's now bent and leaking oil. Any Ideas other than the obvious one of trailering it to the Honda shop and paying them 200 dollars?

I'm all ears.

·
Registered
2009 Audio,Comfort,Navi,Abs
1 Posts
Well, Im back from the Honda shop. The new wrench is the same as I had. I put channel lock pliers on the filter and tried to turn it. It's now bent and leaking oil. Any Ideas other than the obvious one of trailering it to the Honda shop and paying them 200 dollars?

I'm all ears.
Since it's already damaged you have nothing to lose. Punch a large screwdriver through it and try to hammer it off.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Keep at it, it will come off. No mercy now. + 1 on the screwdriver. Last tight one I did I used a longish flat bladed screwdriver. Hammered it through and out the other side just left of center. It ripped the case a bit as I applied pressure. Had to make several holes and destroyed the old filter case. Had to use poly grips on the remaining center post of the filter but off it came. Take care not to damage the area where it contacts and seals to the engine.

·
Chard Member
13,393 Posts
I’ve torn filters in a hundred pieces just leaving the filter base stuck to the engine. I’d slowly remove the base of the filter with my air chisel cursing the installer the whole time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I’ve torn filters in a hundred pieces just leaving the filter base stuck to the engine. I’d slowly remove the base of the filter with my air chisel cursing the installer the whole time!

Who does this to our fine machines? What kind of people are being hired to work on Honda's premier machine? Are these the best and brightest our dealers have to offer? Incredible.

·
Administrator
5,678 Posts

Speaking of an air chisel, I saw a YT video where they used just the center rod minus the chisel, and run it against what they were trying to loosen. In this case a clutch from the shaft of a mower engine. Vibrated it loose.......

·
Registered
2021 6 speed Wing, 2021 Kawasaki Z900RS, 2019 Road Glide
2,530 Posts
I had to do the same......long screwdriver and about 1/8 of a turn on the filter. I put about 6 holes in it before it was loose enough to turn by hand.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, I got it off with the help of my neighbor. He's 79 and has restored at least 3 cars, not including the 56 Chevy in one of his garages. His suggestion, and it worked like a charm was to put an old screw type hose clamp around the filter, tighten it up good and tight and then tap the adjustment screw with a hammer and punch to get the filter to turn.
It worked like a charm. Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees.

Thanks to all. Please spread the word about the hose clamp. It's a great idea. Giving full credit to my neighbor of course.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
His suggestion, and it worked like a charm was to put an old screw type hose clamp around the filter, tighten it up good and tight and then tap the adjustment screw with a hammer and punch to get the filter to turn.
It worked like a charm.
Where did you put the clamp? At the end close to the engine, in the middle of the filter, or toward the bottom closest to the ground?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I placed it on the bottom of the filter (closest to the ground) where the filter wrench would go. After tightening it up tight, it holds the filter better than the filter wrench and it wont slip. Then just tap the clamp screw with a hammer and blunt instrument and it will turn.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
See this old thread I started for all your answers to save a lot of misery.

Botched Transfusion Ends Well, She's Alive!!!

Drill a few holes in your oil filter wrench and if it the filter fights you juse put in several self tapping screws into the filter and it'll come out.

And get one of these from Home Depot for backup.

·
Registered
2022 Goldwing DCT Non Tour
81 Posts
See this old thread I started for all your answers to save a lot of misery.

Botched Transfusion Ends Well, She's Alive!!!

Drill a few holes in your oil filter wrench and if it the filter fights you juse put in several self tapping screws into the filter and it'll come out.

And get one of these from Home Depot for backup.

I have one of those. It didn't work on mine. Screwdriver hammered thru the filter worked and also help ease my frustration.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts