GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
In all that's holy, would a dealership put an oil filter on so tight that the Incredible Hulk himself couldn't get it off? A 30 minute oil change is quickly becoming a 2 hour ordeal! Now I'm off to the dealership to get a filter wrench that I hope will work better the one I have, that under normal circumstances should have worked. :mad::mad:

Rant over.
What year is your bike ? Can you get a strap wrench around the filter. It it slips put some sandpaper around the filter first.

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
The Honda torque spec for the filter is too high, 20 or more pound/feet IIRC. Combine that with placing the filter on with a dry gasket and you get this problem. Even with a properly pre-oiled filter they can get stuck pretty tight. I follow the Old School method of oiling the gasket then turning it in to just make contct plus 3/4 of a turn more. That is not very tight, but tight enough to stay put reliably.

On my 2018 today, I removed the Honda filter, but the gasket stayed stuck to the engine's filter boss. Always look for that too.

prs

Reactions: JF11 and INTHEWIND

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
What year is your bike ? Can you get a strap wrench around the filter. It it slips put some sandpaper around the filter first.
The way the 2018+ bikes are made, strap filters with handes are not going to fit. I "assume" his was the later model since this is the 2018+ forum. The pipe clamp trick seems doable since there is a a bit of room toward the rear inner lip of the filter well.

prs

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
The factory filter on my 2018 was put on by the factory gorilla too. The cup type filter tool was going to round-off or expand before budging the filter. I stopped forcing and placed a piece of old bed sheet over the end of the filter. Then I tapped the cup tool onto the cloth covered filter with mild hammer blows. It was very tight, but the filter did come off in one piece and no stripping or tool failure.

prs

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The bike is a 2018.
I did try putting a towel between the filter removal tool and the filter. I then tapped it in place with a rubber mallet. It was very tight but still slipped. Then I
tried some sandpaper but it slipped too. There isn't room for a wrench to get around the filter like on the 2015 models. The oil filter is too close to the block. I then tried the screwdriver through the oil filter.

Out of pure frustration, I walked away and called my 79 year old neighbor who has lots of years of wrenching. . .

He suggested I put a hose clamp around it, tighten it up using a wrench, not a screwdriver, and try it. That worked.
I wish I had thought of the hose clamp idea before I punctured the filter with a screwdriver. It would have been a lot less messy. Oh well, live and learn.

I know someone else will have the same issues as we all have had with the oil filter. Hopefully this will help them as it did me.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I had to use a hammer and a chisel. Tapped on the filter at the base. In no time I got it to start moving. Of course all filter removals since then have been a breeze now that the filters are not overtightened.

·
Registered
8,424 Posts
I believe this is the reason "they say to put oil on the rubber gasket first" before placing on the bike and tight'nnn...
Glad you got it off, and many thanks for the hose clamp idea, good idea (y)

Ronnie
6/24/22

Reactions: Sladep

·
Registered
974 Posts
I use a assenmacher cup and it has never failed to remove a filter, and as a Tech I have seen plenty over torque oil filter's, but if I ever have trouble removing one I will drill holes in it and use self taping screws never thought of this or seen this before great Idea, the problem with most cups is the same as a open end wrench it opens up and rounds of the filter, I have removed many bolts with Snap On open end wrench that the cheap ones rounded off, quality of tools is everything when your working on something.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ok, I got it off with the help of my neighbor. He's 79 and has restored at least 3 cars, not including the 56 Chevy in one of his garages. His suggestion, and it worked like a charm was to put an old screw type hose clamp around the filter, tighten it up good and tight and then tap the adjustment screw with a hammer and punch to get the filter to turn.
It worked like a charm. Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees.

Thanks to all. Please spread the word about the hose clamp. It's a great idea. Giving full credit to my neighbor of course.
With age comes wisdom. Brilliant

21 - 32 of 32 Posts