GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of Widder Lectric gloves that I have had about 4 or 5 years. Here in the midwest temps can get down to the single digits on a regular basis. The Widders have been adequate but the only time they are ever "warm" is after I first put them on after preheating them. My hands still get cold when it is in the lower 20's and colder. They never seem to be "warm" although they are tolerable. I am thinking it is time to get new gloves as the harness is showing cracks in the insulation. Practical experience is the best indicator here. Which do you guys think is the "warmer" glove. I have heard the Gerbing will actually burn your skin if one forgets the "liners". That sounds like what I want.

Anyone, opinions?

Thanks
Jerry

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I have the Gerbings and like them alot. Widder is no longer in business.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Gerbings +1

Very warm indeed. I have been meaning to send my jacket back in for a rewire because all of the heat is up front like for a "normal" bike, but the wing puts all the cold air on your back instead. I haven't worn either the gloves or the jacket liner for some time reasons being the discovery of Under Armour Cold Gear, a jacket with Holofil and Honda heated grips.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
There is pretty much no comparison like LD said Widder is out of business. Now the other contender is the Warm and Safe, I have a couple of pairs of their gloves, and jacket liners, and they work extremely well. I have had them out in 16 deg temps, and had wet arm pits and sweaty palms when I got to where I was going :shock: The Gerbings are the same from what I hear as far as performance.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have been using the Gerbing equipment for five years and do not have any complaints. I do have Honda heated grips and if below 5 will use both for a while and switch off the grips. I do not prewarm the gloves, just leave them on the bike. I use a Cascade jacket with a dual controller mounted on the belt. Good luck on your upgrade. Steve Short, Fair Grove, MO

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Widder gone huh?

I'll be darned, Widder is out of business huh? Well that does tell me something about them. I will check out the Warm and Safe, had never heard of them before.

Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been using the Gerbing equipment for five years and do not have any complaints. I do have Honda heated grips and if below 5 will use both for a while and switch off the grips. I do not prewarm the gloves, just leave them on the bike. I use a Cascade jacket with a dual controller mounted on the belt. Good luck on your upgrade. Steve Short, Fair Grove, MO

I see you are also from Missouri so you know the kind of Winter we have had here. I ride all winter (with the exception of snow and ice) so warmth is essential to me. I found this 1800 is WAY colder than my 1500 I just sold. I added the Baker Wings and they helped a lot, but still need to gloves...thanks for the input.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I'll be darned, Widder is out of business huh? Well that does tell me something about them. I will check out the Warm and Safe, had never heard of them before.

Thanks
They went out of business because the founder passed away, and the family chose not to continue.

I have widder gloves, they are not adequate when the temps get below 20. However, I also have the widder chaps and vest, and I absolutely love them.

Mommy has the Gerbing G3 gloves, and she loves them. While she doesn't ride with be if its colder than about 20-25, and she has the ability to tuck her hands in, she says her hands never get cold.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
widder vs Gerbing

I ride a lot in 20 and below and you are right, about 20-25 miles is all I can do with the Widders, I will definetly consider the Warm and Safe (will do some research) but it sounds like everyone has good things to say about the Gerbings...

Thanks

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I have the Gerbing G3 gloves.

Rode in 18 degree tempst at 75-80mph on the highay....hands were toasty warm and were not turned up all the ay

Definatly need the contoller as these gloves get HOT...will make your hands sweat

·
Registered
818 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Widder

They went out of business because the founder passed away, and the family chose not to continue.
Close but not quite true. Since I spoke to Pat a month or so ago I'm pretty sure he's not dead.

Pat decided to retire which some people might think is the same as dying but I like it better.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I got the Gerbing jacket liner for Christmas and already had the gloves. I rode last week at 19 degrees and by the time I got to work (25 miles) I had to turn the unit off. I do not have the tem controllers just the on/off switch but find that adequate. The jacket liner feels warmer than the gloves, however, even at 19, the gloves perfectly neutralized the cold air.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts