GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why some posts are wider than the screen? Is there anything you can do bring them back to a size that is easier to read?

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's because some people post pics that are TOO LARGE. Most digital pics nowadays are way too large to post analtered, but apparently few realize this. There are free pic resizing utilities available from numerous sources on the net. Resize your pic posts to 640x480 or less and the screen formatting will be fine for the majority of readers.

Eric

·
Registered
879 Posts
I open my original picture in paint, select image/stretch and skew and then stretch by whatever % it requires to get to the smaller size. 50% usually does it. I then save the picture with the same file name with the addition of X in the file name in jpg format. I then have the original picture and the resized picture.

Follow up for Tiger-FL
Go to start and click. From the menu select programs. From the next menu select accessories. From the next menu select paint. (You could put a shortcut on your desktop to avoid going through all the menu selections.) Now, from the paint toolbar select file, open and then browse till you find the photo you want. (you will want the file type set to all so you can find you photo regardless of the format it is in.) Now with your photo open, from the toolbar select image then attributes. A dialouge box will display the file size of the picture and you can decide what percentage you need to resize to get the size you want. Now, cancel that dialouge box and from the toolbar select image then stretch and skew. In that dialouge box set the percentage to get the size you want. Half size 50%, etc. When you have it resized to what you want from the toolbar select file, then save as. When the dialouge box opens it will have your original photo file name it the space for the file name to save to. Type in the file name you want. I usually just add an x to the original name, make sure the format is set at .jpg and hit the save button. I now have the original photo and a resized photo designated by the x in the file name. Probably sounds like a lot of work but after you do it a couple times it becomes easier. Also, puting a shortcut on your desktop will make it quicker to get to paint.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Size

You not only want to limit the dimensions to about 600 x ... pixels, but also limit the bit size of the image (ie, resolution). For most computer displays (particularly on a board like this), using .jpg low resolution results in an image that is still very good for display, but ends up being only 15-50k, which makes the images download much faster, particularly for those using dial-up. Lots of programs out there to do this. I use Adobe Photo Elements as well as a couple of other programs.

One of the members earlier posted that they use the following, which is a free download.

http://www.winsoftmagic.com/

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Another thing that happens, some people are ignoring LaMont's rule about the avatars. LaMont says that the avatars shouldn't be more than 120 pixels wide, some people are grossly exceeding that, and it pushes the whole thing over to the right. As an example, there are oversized avatars in this message string, to check the size of an avatar, right click on it, and select properties, look down the list and it will give you the size of the avatar in pixels. Digital cameras usually come with software to edit photos, photo scanners come with the software also, if anyone doesn't have a program to edit photos, do a search, there are free programs available to resize photos.

Several people have mentioned that it is annoying to have to scroll over to the right to read posts, if we keep the avatars within the limits LaMont has asked for, and keep the pictures a reasonable size, that will not happen.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Oh here we go again. There are some people on this board and yes even on this page (not kickback) who are always complaining about the size of photographs etc... Get a larger monitor, a high speed connection and a fast computer. It's like the guy who is trying to keep up with all the 1800's on a 550 and thinks everyone else should slow down a little NOT

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I always resize photos for email and posting to 500 x 375 because they upload and download faster. I didn't realize the pic's were making these pages wider. I have very fast high speed access but I email a lot of people who do not have high speed available.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Believe me kickback you are just fine. Like some have said just keep any image in the body of your posts to 600X... pixels or a little smaller. The larger images that you sometimes see come from people who have their own websights and can upload photos from there. There probably should be some restrictions on that.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Big D you seem to have missed the point, when we join this board we agree to certain guidelines, 99% of the people fall within the guidelines, a few post oversize avatars not realizing they are outside those guidelines, a friendly reminder normally takes care of it.

Thanks for resizing your avatar. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.