GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I new I had a Hot spot , but didn't know it was that hot. Its near the connector. I guess I was So cold coming back from Key West that one day I never noticed that It actually Burned me to a Blister, through a Quilted shirt and a Tshirt :shock:
This is really uncomfortable now . Funny thing is I didnt' even notice it till last night while sleeping.
I opened the assembly seem to look inside, But don't see anything obvious.
Any suggestions short of getting a New Vest?

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Usually a hot spot on a resistive heating setup would be a corroded connection or a wire that is broken and still touching together. This would set up a higher resistance and thus more heat produced at that point.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Your vest is saying "Replace me, put me out of my misery" lol

Wiring problems can be a real pain to track down. Widder has strange wiring designs to.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
About five years ago I had exactly the same problem you described; blistered my skin just left of my navel. Sent the vest back to Widder for repair but they said no problem was found. The vest still got too hot in that same spot, so I got rid of it. Instead, I wired my First Gear jacket liner with 33 feet of 28 gauge teflon coated wire and have never had a problem since.

;)

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
i sure hope that burn is getting better, that kind of thing can take a long time to heal, might b a good idea to have a doctor take a look at it

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The blister is healing up fine. I'm typically a fast healer.
I do NEEED a Warm Vest. Actually I need a Warm Vest Pants Glove hell why not just warm the arms and Toes too :D

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
foot warmers ?
i have Gerbings heated socks but prefer these
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Grabber-Treat-Warmer-Insoles-3-Pack/dp/B001KYQE64/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1233254239&sr=8-13[/ame]

about 1/8" thick ,they work great, for me they always last longer than the 6 hours they claim

around here Fleet Farm has them on sale a couple time per year for $1.99

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
foot warmers ?
i have Gerbings heated socks but prefer these
http://www.amazon.com/Grabber-Treat-Warmer-Insoles-3-Pack/dp/B001KYQE64/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1233254239&sr=8-13

about 1/8" thick ,they work great, for me they always last longer than the 6 hours they claim

around here Fleet Farm has them on sale a couple time per year for $1.99
Thats pretty cool or should I say Warm. :D
If it were for say a Trip or something that Might work. But I need something for my daily commute to work. I wouldn't like having something that I would be wasting 5 of the 6 hour they are suppose to work. Electric Socks would be Great I would just have to pull them off when I got to work. Another step in gettin dressed but at least My feet would feel better. Funny. This morning it was 26 degrees on part of my ride.
I started the morning off with cold hands and that didn't help. Halfway through my 50 mile commute, My fingers were killing me. Then they started feeling better. Guess the Grips finally caught up or they went numb. Feet were fine except for my right ankle I didn't snap the bottom of my chaps. My fault. Electric glove may be on my wish list. Someone posted about a brand that didn't heat the thumbs? I dont want those , thats the worse finger of all when it comes to gettin cold for me.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I've had Widder vests for years....like 15+, and I have been burned by them. The culprit? Fat rolls on your body which trap part of the heating element. Solutions? Loose a lot of weight, or ride without the zipper zipped, and be sure there are no bunches in the vest fabric.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Keep burning in the same spot and it will turn to scar tissue and you won't feel a thing.
Hmmm. I'll give that a shot.

I've had Widder vests for years....like 15+, and I have been burned by them. The culprit? Fat rolls on your body which trap part of the heating element. Solutions? Loose a lot of weight, or ride without the zipper zipped, and be sure there are no bunches in the vest fabric.
Fat rolls????
I'm looking for them, Can't really find one. 6 foot 185 lbs.
But I did have so much stuff on that the vest was pushed pretty hard against me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts