GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an unusual problem in getting my 02 wing to start. if she has been setting for a few days there will be about a 5 second delay from when I press the start button and when the engine actually turns over and starts. once the engine starts I will not have another problem with it until it sits for a few days. I had a repair man take all the switches and buttons apart and cleaned them. the problem went away for about a month. now it is back. the mechanic said he now believes the problem will be the switch assembly which requires the entire harness to be replaced. anyone ever run across a problem like this before. why would sitting for a few days make any difference. thanks for any input. David

·
Registered
665 Posts
Start Problem

By pass the switch with a jumper wire before replacing the whole harness. This will tell if switch or harness. Also battery good be weak after sitting a few days and when switch is pushed it takes a few seconds for the battery to "heat up" to put out enough power to start. Had that situation on older cars years ago.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
sitting

Sitting for a few days, could be a battery problem. I'm going to take a different wild guess. After you've not started it for a few days, give the fuel pump a chance to get the pressure up before you try to start it.

Richard

·
GL1800 Doctor
19,604 Posts
My guess would be the battery as well. There's a simple test for the starter switch. Turn on the key, turn on the radio, push the starter button. If the radio mutes immediately, the switch is OK. If the radio mutes after a delay, then the switch is dirty or there's an issue with the wiring.

While you're at it, take a volt meter and measure the battery terminals before you go to start it and then while you are trying to crank the engine. The resting battery(key off) should read no lower than 12.2V and no lower than 10.1V while cranking it.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
My guess would be the battery as well. There's a simple test for the starter switch. Turn on the key, turn on the radio, push the starter button. If the radio mutes immediately, the switch is OK. If the radio mutes after a delay, then the switch is dirty or there's an issue with the wiring.

While you're at it, take a volt meter and measure the battery terminals before you go to start it and then while you are trying to crank the engine. The resting battery(key off) should read no lower than 12.2V and no lower than 10.1V while cranking it.
Rob, in my next life want to be your bike, I figure you would know exactly what would make me happy. :lol:

·
Registered
8,476 Posts

·
GL1800 Doctor
19,604 Posts
Yep, but it does look like he already tried cleaning the switch. If the battery is good, then his "A" starter relay could be weak, but I'm still leaning toward the battery or it's connections.

·
Vendor
21,576 Posts
I agree with Techdude, I'd check the battery first.

If the battery turns out to be good, then you can take apart and clean the starter switch. I found a lot of dirt and grit in mine when I did. I have some photos of it here:

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/starterrelays

You could also have one of the starter relays sticking and hanging up.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did post this problem earlier and the recommendations was to try cleaning the switch first which I did and it seemed to have fixed it for a few weeks. but it started acting up again yesterday so I thought I would pick your brains on what to do next. I will put your recommendations to the test tomorrow. I did ck the battery with a voltmeter and it read 12.5 but I didn't try it while pushing the starter button. the battery is only three months old but I know that doesn't mean anything. I will let you know what the final outcomes is. thanks for your help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts