GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a M109R,I was riding my 06 Wing,but after having 3 strokes,I had a hard time handling it around town. My wife informed me that if I wanted a new bike,she would take the Wing over,and get it converted into a trike. She just sold her S40 (didn't like the way it handled). She can ride the Wing(if I'm on the back and put my feet down,not easy). I say she's short 5'1" (she dosen't like that) so I'll just say she's vertically challenged. She like the CSC conversions,so are there any tips we should know before having one installed on the bike? I've heard that the "ground effects are prone to breakage" so I'm not sure about that,but what are the options you guy's have and really like. Thanks Ron S

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Ron, as you see, I triked my GW after four years of riding it as a two wheeler. Have a bad knee and it concerned me if I got off balance and tried to hold it up. Always liked the looks of the trikes and figured this was the time. Triked it last September, nearly a year now. LOVE IT!

There are many CSC trikes on this site and you will be getting all kinds of stuff about them. I doubt if anyone will tell you not to trike. I know I would not go back to two wheels.

I don't have the ground effects attachment, I like mine the way it is. You can always add the attachment later if you don't want to put it on with the installation.

Installation is the key word here as far as I am concerned. If you get a poor installer, you will have a poor trike, regardless of the brand of kit. After 600-1,000 miles it may need some adjustments, tightening of bolts, etc. My Motor Trike installler checked mine at 600 miles and again at 5,000 (he wanted me back sooner, but I was on a trip). No charges on either check which included bleeding the brake fluid. Good luck.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply,George. She likes the "looks" of the CSC. Both of us have never rode a trike before. I'm sure that most all kits are good,she is just going by what she thinks looks best to her :) (a woman thing)! She looked at the Lehman Trikes,and didn't like them. I think we will need to get the rake,or steering kit installed at the same time so it will steer a little better. I don't have any experience with trikes,so I know about as much as she does(well only on the subject of trikes :D ).

·
Registered
792 Posts
Yes the easy steer is a good thing, it does take a little upper body strenght to steer one. Not that it's overly hard or anything like that. When I picked up my, they told me to run 36psi in the front tire, it steered harder than the 18 wheeler that I drove for a living, put 41psi and it about 3 times better than before. I know why they wanted 36psi in it but I'll trade the softer ride and better grip for the easyer steering, after two or three hours of keeping it on the road it was tiring on the shoulders. One more thing you well proably want to get is some trike wings to help keep the wind from the rear passenger, wind comes around the front of trike and hits the rear fenders and blows up into the passenger. If your in a cross wind it hits so hard that if your hair isn't nailed down it could be some place else. Good lucky do some homework and don't go on looks alone. Dealer and installer are very important, and remember you can always have things added later. ENJOY

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
As far as the Ground effects or Aqua Shields (MT) the CSC are NOT weight bearing. Just for SHOW. They do the job but you cant stand on them. The Motor Trike are on the other hand. I don't have them on mine but there are times that I think they would be nice, like yesterday in the Rain.

Which ever you get you will Love the Trike.

G

·
Ron S said:
She like the CSC conversions
Well Ron, you have answered your own question.

We men all know, “When Mama ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy.” Conversely, “When Mama’s happy, Papa’s happy.”

I don’t think you could go too wrong with any kit, providing you have a good installer. You will notice from the poll however, that CSC is leading with Champion nipping at our heels.

Having said that – the following comments are MY opinion – so you other folks don’t get you panties in a knot when you read this. It’s MY (maybe not so humble) opinion.

My wife and I rode a year and 12,000 miles on our Wing before having it converted to a CSC last March. We think it is simply the best trike going – period.

The ride of the CSC is very comfortable. The Independent Rear Suspension is a big factor in that but also the extended wheelbase putting the rear axle behind the passenger’s back.

The handling is unbelievable. And you won’t believe me until you ride one for a while. You will be able to take the curves faster than you ever rode a Wing on 2 wheels. Wilson told me before I got mine that it was “A real curve carver.” Ken L. rode with a group of 2 wheelers and was riding so fast his front tire was smoking. My wife and I rode the Dragon last June (14:42 from the overlook to the store). When we rolled into the parking lot at the store, the smell of burning rubber wafted up. It was sooooo cool!!!!

As to the running boards (ground effects). No, they are not rated for weight bearing like the Lehman and some others but they won’t break off if you happen to stand on them. Anyway if you did stand on them, you would scratch the paint and you don’t want to do that. The best thing about them is they provide a “finished” look to the Cobra. The Cobra looks good without them, it just looks better with them. Also, I like to take my feet off the pegs when cruising and put them in the board’s foot wells. It is very comfortable.

You definitely want the steering kit. Period. And get the 3 ½ gallon auxiliary tank too.
And get the new optional wheels. They match the front wheel and are beautiful.

I could go on and on but I’ll stop here so as not to overwhelm you. Email me if you can handle more.

Don aka Beastie

·
Registered
127 Posts
Another tip I would suggest is to have Reg risers put on when you have the easy steer installed. On a trike I find it much easier in the turns to push with one hand and pull with the other hand. This requires the handlebars to be closer to you than on a 2 wheeler.

She will love it!

One thing I would think about on the CSC is the limited trunk space. We tour and camp out of the trike so the larger the trunk the better. I do not want to tow a trailer since in Cali the speed limit is 55 if towing, even on a motorcycle. I have a Champion with one of the larger trunks and even then I use a Revco 18X30 hitch rack (works great!) for extra camping gear. Since the extra weight does not bother me on the trike we completely load the trike and then the Hubby takes the light weight stuff on his bike. Of couse we are packing and camping for three (husband, me, and daughter) so it might be easier for you. Also we winter camp with full wiinter gear so you will just have to consider what your plans are.

Have fun!
Jill

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the information,I really appreciate it. I need all the info I can get,since I know nothing about trikes. We live in Lawrenceville,Illinois,and there's a Honda dealer in Evansville,Indiana that sells trikes,and hopfully does conversions,The other option is Neihause Honda in Litchfield,Illinois. If the one in Evansville pans out that would be great for service,since it's only 58miles away from us. Thanks again! Ron S

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hey Ron, I second that idea about Pete Hatfield in Muscatine, Ia. he would do you a real fine trike build.
No connection, just a satisfied customer. Harry

·
Registered
581 Posts
Ron, yes the Honda dealer in Evansville is a "CSC" installer. My wife also picked ours. she said "I like that one", I said where do I sign. One good thing is that the installer is a Honda Dealer, they can work on the Whole Bike!

Ken L.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Ken L. said:
Ron, yes the Honda dealer in Evansville is a "CSC" installer. My wife also picked ours. she said "I like that one", I said where do I sign. One good thing is that the installer is a Honda Dealer, they can work on the Whole Bike!

Ken L.
Ken, what type of trailer do you have. "Inquiring minds want to know"?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ron,
The Honda dealer in Evansville sells and installs both the CSC (COBRA) and the Champion. You'll be able to see, demo, and discuss the features of both there. It's great that you live so close. A good, experienced, close Honda dealer is the best of all worlds. No warranty issues. Two Honda dealers in INDY do trikes. One is CSC , one is Champion. They are relatively new at this. (the Champion dealer is brand new and has done 1, the CSC dealer has been at it for 2 years). Because they are more expensive with installation cost, I've opted to go to a private installer in Louisville. It's quicker than winding my way to Evansville.
Happy Triking
Mike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts