GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously considering buying my wife the Honda Aero 750. It will be her first one. It sits low, medium weight, V-Twin, drive shaft, 5 speed,and it seems to be a better bike for the money than the Shadow VLX 600. Any feedback out there? She's not very strong and only 5'4".

·
Registered
280 Posts
Small wife on big bike

I put my 5'1' wife on a 750 Shadow ACE. Her first bike after she took the MSF course.

She dropped it twice on side hill stops. She needed to get her riding skills going before handling a big bike. I bought a 250 Rebel for $2500 and she has ridden it for almost a year. Her confidence is much higher and she is about ready to move up to the '04 Areo. (lower seat than her Rebel)

The saleslady at the Honda dealer warned us about buying her too big a bike the first time out. But I did not listen, get her on a Rebel first and grow into the 750 - remember none of us started on 1800s.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I agree with you Kenn, I personally started on a Trail 90 about 100 years ago. :?
My adult daughter wants a bike, and started out looking at a 600 Shadow. I have her convinced :?: to start with a 250 Rebel. We found a nice used one in the SF Bay Area for $1900. After a MSF course and a year or two of experience, we will look for something bigger.
Good luck Ken, my wife just navigates. That makes her a VERY expensive GPS :D :roll:

G

·
0 Posts
Have to agree

with Chipmunky. If you want to get your wife to ride, take it easy. If you scare her you may not only frighten her from her riding a motorcycle, but she may become afraid for you to ride a motorcycle. Look into who provides the MSF course with their bikes as you may be able to pick up one these very cheap. Best of Luck and Ride Safe.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, my first thought was to get a Rebel for her to gain experience on. She sat on the Shadow VLX and loved it. It's about 150lbs. more than the Rebel and the Aero is about 50 lbs. more yet, but sits lower. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do. I'm afraid that 1 bad experience might ruin it for her forever, but I also have confidence in how she will ride.

·
Registered
12 Posts
A Woman's Perspective

Just thought you might like to hear from a woman rider with a little riding experience. I started out on a 250 Rebel, moved to a 600 VLX, then to an 1100 Shadow Spirit, and now I have an 1800 Wing. Wouldn't take anything for the experience gained from riding the smaller bikes first. It really helped build my confidence being able to handle the smaller bikes before moving to larger ones. Never dropped one until I got the Wing, and I was sitting still on banked pavement when I dropped it. Oh, and I didn't lose a penny when reselling - I took very good care of my bikes and they all sold quickly, so please don't push your wife to get a larger bike than she needs to start out. I had great fun shopping for the bigger bikes as I outgrew the smaller ones. Sure hope she enjoys riding as much as I do.

Sharon

·
Registered
615 Posts
Ken, I think the VLX is a great starter bike. I came back to biking on a VLX and in one year I traded up. It was too small (engine) I think she will do fine on the small shadow as it is a low bike, easy to handle, and a very nice confidence builder.
Just throw this into the mix. Joy

Might be wise to let her decide what she wants, though.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The 250 rebel is a perfect first bike for a lady. My wife wants to take the MSF course this summer. The rebel will be her first ride as well.

Got to walk before you can run. She sat on my VL800 and she thought it felt very big for her.

·
Registered
188 Posts
when i bought my wife's first bike i went out and found and ole beater as i call them.. a 1980 cb650..low enough for her to get on it and i wasnt concerned about it if she tipped it over and that she did once on a hill..missed a shift..but after a year on that bike i went and bought her the yamaha v-star 1100 silverado. she loves it and it is easy for her to handle it.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
I watch these discussions closely on what you guys see & do when a woman steps up to her own bike from a passenger.

My wife of 31 years tells me she has no interest to step up to her own bike.

In a couple of years she will be 50 and I am wondering about a mid-life change in her.. ;)

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I got my wife on a Suzuki 650 Burgman. Automatic
and very smooth a 60 MPH. I talked her into a bike,
she was always content being a passenger. The bike
got totaled, and she has some life long scars. Hind
sight is 20/20. Although she had insurance, it has
been a costly mistake. I think I wanted more
independance.

·
Registered
85 Posts
VLX 600

Bought wife a VLX 600 in 99. Great bike except for turns too many revs for much freeway or extended high speeds. Could have used a fifth gear.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I agree that the 250 is a great starter bike. I used to own its predecessor, the 185cc TwinStar. However don't expect your wife to ride alongside on the freeway on a cross-country trip on her 250. There won't be any touring togetherness until she's comfortable with a bigger bike.

rchawk49, I also started out on a Trail 90! It was a great little bike. I used to ride it to high school. I got constantly teased though because the other kids said it "sounded like a sewing machine." Well, it did, I suppose. (If those kids could only see me now on the Wing!)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi Bob,
When I rode the Trail 90, I got some razzing as well, but the other kids only had bicycles. Yeah, if they could only see us now.
:D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Honda SilverWing

You should take a look at the Honda SilverWing. It's an automatic ("twist 'n go"), and I have no problem at all keeping up w/ Jon's GoldWing. I'm vertically challenged, too, and had to get the seat lowered. As long as I stay away from GRAVEL and stopping on hills sideways (hush up, JON), I'm okay.

It's a fun ride!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Do it right the first time. Buy the Aero 750. My wife is 5'4" and her first bike was a '95 Honda Magna. Anything smaller she would of outgrew after 2000 miles. Try a Kawasaki Vulcan 800 and go to scootworks and buy a lowering kit and a set of risers. The first accessory to buy for the bike are risers with at least a 1 1/2" pull back. How about a used 750 or 800 and use the extra money on a Corbin seat and risers. The seat will lower her by at least 1" and the risers will bring the handlebars back 1 1/2".
Randy F
Concord, NC

·
Registered
615 Posts
Randy, I agree. I think if you can afford it you can keep upgrading to a bigger bike, but it is a quick need to stay up with hubby or the crowd. By being so cautious you might not give her the confidence she needs. Joy

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well folks, thanks for all the input. We went to the dealer today and she sat on the VLX, Magna, ACE, Rebel, and the Aero. We now own a Candy Red 750 Aero. $6188 out the door. Time will tell. :wink:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Congratulations Ken's wife. Enjoy Joy

1 - 20 of 29 Posts