GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife traded in her 2005 VTX1300R for this F650GS. If you ever have a chance to test ride this bike, do it. She "let" me ride it around some and it handles great and can really move!

Can you tell she is happy?

Here is another....We stopped in Celina, TX to get dessert at Lucy's.

What a fun bike!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Looks like it would be very agile and limber for some spirited riding :cool:

·
The Boss
1,289 Posts
VERY nice!!!

I went the other way... went from an R1150RT BMW (which is for sale btw) to an VTX1800R :lol:

Loved the BMW - just too tall for me... it's a great bike for sure.

Congrats!

·
Premium Member
19,872 Posts
Stokes tell her you want to make sure it can really ride in the dirt and head down to Terlingua/Big Bend area or (closer to you) Muenster Tx for a little dirt road action.

I would love to have a dualsport also. Either a KTM 990 or a BMW 650/800/1200 Adventure

·
Registered
101 Posts
Wife's new bike

Great looking ride! :joke:

·
Registered
21,341 Posts
a very good friend of mine from California has a YELLOW 650GS

he has put over 80,000 miles on it so far

believe it or not he averages a little over 70 MPG !

i felt really good a couple of times when i got over 50 MPG in the mountains with my wing but when we figured out his MPG and it was over 80 !

do u know who actually builds the engine for the 650GS ?

he will b riding the 650GS to Sturgis this year

your wife has the first blue one i ever saw, didn't even know they made that color, looks very nice !

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Congratulations. I have an '03 F650GS (Factory lowered) and really, really like it. It's got a great seating position and is almost as comfortable as the
Wing for highway riding. But it really shines in being able to get off the the pavement into the gravel/dirt situations.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I had a 2003 F650GS in Blue, mine was a lemon, it ate batteries and BMW had it apart more times than it was together, they never did solve to problem, I sold it with under 300 miles on it.

When it went it was sweet, quick, quiet and surefooted, I was unlucky and got a bad one.

I hope you enjoy your's, they really are fun to ride.

John

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Actually, the motor is no longer made by Rotax. It is made by either a Chinese or Korean firm. I read this and had it confirmed by a BMW employee when I was at the Cycle World show in Chicago Sunday. They are reluctant to say the words but the magazine who spilled it says it's made to the exact specs the Rotax was and you should not see a bit of difference. Now we could go on and on about the 800 cc 650 bike.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have to admit that calling the bike a 650 with an 800cc engine is a bit confusing. One guy on the BMW forum put F800Gs stickers on his bike to avoid the confusion.

Her bike is factory lowered with a low seat as well. It puts her in about the same position as her vtx1300 did. A nice transition for anyone moving from a cruiser to a dual sport type of bike.

She is still loving the bike and looking for some dirt roads.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Sweet ride, is that the 2 cyl 800?
Enjoy,
Bob VanNess
All newer BMWs starting with the letter F are twin cylinders. F650GS would be a 800cc parallel twin.

All G series BMWs are single cylinder. G650GS is a 650cc single

All R series BMWs are also twins, but boxer style

All K series are four cylinder inline engines

Probably just a matter of time before most of BMW's line is manufactured in China, and not just the F and G series...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts