GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since this is not motorcycle related, I've tried to reframed from posting any type report. However, I've received (and I appreciate everyone's concern) several emails and PM asking about Cathy's condition. So I decided to post an update. My last post was pre-surgery.

Cathy's surgery went very well. The 6 week surgerical recovery went off with out a hitch. Then she started Chemo (again) scheduled for 12 treatments of 1 a week. At the mid point, she had to skip a week due to blood level (white blood count). Last Monday we had our 8th treatment. With 4 to go, she has started running a fever, which is a sign of an infection. It's unclear at this point if the Chemo can continue until the cause of the infection is found and address. The Chemo has (is) making her very tired and at times very sick (not including the infection).

Once we complete the 12 Chemo treatments, we are then faced with 6 weeks of radiation. This will be 1 treatment a day (for 6 weeks).

I can honestly say, her additude, resolve, and determination amazes me. This has been a very hard 9 months, yet she remains very positive.

I (we) would like to say Thank You to everyone that has called, emailed, and/or PM'ed to express their concerns and prayers. We've heard from people we've had the pleasure to meet and people that we've only communicated with on this board. In either case, it's uplifting to know that others care. This group of people (board members) have demonstrated it's possible to have far reaching friends.

Thank You and God Bless

Terry and Cathy

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Cathy is in our prayers. I am right across the river if you or Cathy need anything.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Terry,
I'm glad I had the chance to meet you and Cathy when I was in Alabama.
My best whishes and prayers continue to be sent in your direction for speedy and complete recovery.
Tell her I said Hi.
Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
We just finished 12 weeks of chemo and 8 weeks of radiation. Her hair is starting to grow back and life is returning to normal, sort of. This changes the way you look at everything. My wife keeps saying, “don’t sweat the small stuff”. Between chemo and radiation we got a break from the doctors and took a two-week ride thru New England. We kept it down to 250 miles a day and got a room by mid afternoon. She had a great time and felt ready for the next round of treatment. You mentioned how great your wife’s attitude is. It always seemed to me that women are so much braver in these situations than men. We tend to lie on the couch and whine, while women will still try to cook dinner. Good luck to you. Having done it we can tell you that it is doable.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
You fellow's have shown what Champions that you truly are.

Sounds as if your Ladies are keepers, and that they have a great support system, "You".

I prefer to be around folks, whom their glasses are always half full or better.

Kudos to the Husbands that support their Ladies. And a great round of applause to the Ladies that are going through this life trial, without so much as a whimper.

Never a good thing to say at a time like this. God Bless You All!

Bulldog

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Terry our prayers are with you and your wife. You will both be stronger and closer when this is all over. My wife has gone through it 3 times ,first time at 17she is now 49, different type each time and she just amazes me with her strength. He will never put more in your wagon than you can pull although sometimes you may think the wagon tongue is getting week,

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Glad to hear that things go well !!!
Best wishes!
Really wishing her to beat it!
Good luck! You are in my thoughts!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the words of encouragment. They are all much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Terry and Cathy we are very glad that you are in the home stretch, it was toughest for us when it was almost over. We are praying for you.

Jeannette finished her chemo last September 25th about 1 year ago. She is heading for NYC on Thursday to walk 26 miles Saturday and 13 miles Sunday in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. She has been training with 20 and 10 mile weekends and I am very proud of her. It is absolutely amazing how big a difference a year makes. Next summer plan something really big for when it is all behind you.

BTW Thanks to everyone who supported Jeannette from this board in her fundraising for the NYC walk, she raised over $3,000 from friends, family, doctors and boards, all for breast cancer.

Check it out here including the roll of folks who helped out, you will recognize several of the names from here.

http://info.avonfoundation.org/site/TR? ... fr_id=1230

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
I have some good freinds who have gone through this and it is certainly not easy. It does amaze me how upbeat the woman are while faced with this. They are a source of strength for us when we should be that strength.

There is so much power in prayer and you are receiving that!!!!!

It will all work out.

Best wishes Cathy!!!!

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
It's sad to say but the women handle it much better than we do. We think that there should be something that we could do to make it better when in reality there is nothing we can do. Prayer does work many wonders.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I like Dice Pilot am just around the corner if you need anything. Glad Mama is doing good. Hope you had a nice ride for lunch today sorry I couldn't make it, would have enjoyed seeing you guys. Let's just keep gettin' her better so we can pick up where we left off last year!!

Charlie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts