GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Technically, even regular brake modulators are illegal in most states (including Florida unfortunately). However, most LEOs will leave you alone if the modulator stops flashing after an initial sequence (i.e. flashes a certain number of times and then goes solid until the next time you apply the brakes). Wig-wags are far more likely to attract unwanted LEO attention. There is no guarantee that some LEO may not have had a fight with his wife that morning and be out to get someone but most of them are understanding about us wanting to be seen.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
? Is the Trailblazer legal in most States? That's what I have, I Like! Easy install and I've not read any complaints.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I detest following a bike with the wig wag. To me, it always looks like he is starting to apply the brake. I see the stop light light up, and think the brake is going on. One time it might be, and I will rear end him!!!!!
Also very illegial!!!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I have had Wig-Wag brake light modulators on all my Gold Wings since 1991 and have never had any LEO even ask me about them let alone tell me they were a problem. I do set them up to cancel after one cycle so it is not obnoxious to the person behind me if I have to keep the brakes applied at a stop. I have options available to me when dealing with most traffic problems in front of me but I think motorcycles are sitting ducks from attacks from the rear and my personal opinion is that Wig-Wags help others notice you in a good way (instead of the way loud pipes get attention). :mad1:

I have also never had any complaints from other vehicles but there were several occasions where someone mentioned that they were "pretty cool" and another said they were definite attention getters. No one was irritated that I could tell. I am annoyed by oncoming headlight modulators but following a Wig-Wag equipped bike doesn't bother me in the least. Maybe my mind is wired differently than others responding to this post.

The issue with flashing lights is that they are only suppose to go on emergency vehicles, especially red and blue colors. They do not want anyone confusing a non-emergency vehicle with flashing lights for an emergency vehicle. The Left-Right-Left-Right-Both-Both-Both-ON Steady sequence could only be confused with an emergency vehicle by a blithering idiot. In my mind, that is why I have never been bothered by a LEO for my brake lights flashing.

If you are hard pressed to worry about something, please, don't let me interfere with using this as an object of your obsession. For me, this is so far down in the noise that I find it hard even to imagine giving it a second thought. I am going riding tomorrow with my wife on the back and the temperature is suppose to get up to 69 degrees F. :yes1:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I've got my wig wag set up that the "box" is on the back wall under the flap of the passengers seat. I ran extra "dummy" wires back to the lights, That way I can switch from both set ups on the wag wag or back to stock. I'vr traveled in over 40 states and never had a problems from LEO no matter what wig wag set up I had running at the time.
BTW my wig wag is set up to run on the trunk lights only.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts