GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm ready. Have had my 04 ABS in the shop for past 2 mos, having a Wilbers rear shock and fork springs installed. Because of snow, ice and bad weather, my mechanic has not been able to test ride it and I have not been able to get it home(shop is 40 miles away). Talked to the shop today and it has now been tested and is ready to go. Front and rear are elevated about 1 inch. Had to weld pads onto side and center stands. Mechanic has not been able to really test it on challenging roads but says he thinks it will be have much better cornering clearance. I am PSYCHED!!! I spent 2 hours deicing my driveway today and since it will be almost 40 degrees tomorrow, I am planning on bringing the beast home tomorrow. Doubt I will be able to really test it as I will be riding on the NYS Thruway and immediately home(dont want to look for troulble). Will keep the forum informed. Think SPRING!!-Carl

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fred--Your comments were very interesting. It sounds like the Works shock may be the best way to go. You are correct in that the Wilbers is not totally compatible with the hydraulic preload adjuster. My preload numbers now start at 13 and go to 25. However, the adjuster does run the shock through its full range of preload adjustability. The ride height adjuster is a nice touch and the bike sits about 7mm taller at minimum preload. When I get a chance to ride it, I will report on all the other considerations. Front end is also higher and firmer with the Wilbers straight rate fork springs. Cant wait to ride the damn thing. Winters are getting harder to tolerate every year!--Carl

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree with you completely Fred. I am a sport bike rider and could not tolerate the peg scraping. The Wilbers shock is custom made for each situation and rider and passenger weight, riding style etc are used to determine the set up. The ride height is adjustable as is the rebound damping. I did not order the external compression damping adjuster. And, by the way, I could replace the OEM shock if I wanted to. All that is necessary is to reset the diaphragm to 0 and add more hydraulic fluid. Apparently the volume of fluid necessary to max the preload is less with the Wilber shock. I believe it is also necessary to raise up the front of the bike if cornering clearance is to be increased and the Wilbers fork springs seem to bedoing this quite well. I will let you know how it works out when the weather is more permitting--Carl

1 - 3 of 3 Posts