GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had a chance now to really ride my 04 Wing with the Wilbers shock and linear rate fork springs. The bike is taller but still maneagable. I am 5'7" and weigh 165 lbs. I have steel plates welded onto the feet of the side and center stands. The bike corners beautifully, is very stable in turns and very confidence inspiring. The front may be a tad harsher but the shock is damped beautifully and the ride is comfortable. The major difference is in the cornering clearance. I have not yet dragged a peg or exhaust shield at lean angles that before the mods I would have been leaving a lot of metal on the tarmac. Much more fun to ride and I believe that it is safer also. Many a missed turn could have been avoided if the rider could have just leaned it further and concentrated on making the turn. If you dont like dragging body parts and can tolerate a little higher seat height, dont hesitate to try the Wilbers components. I understand that Works is also ,makiing a shock that works more seamlessly with the Wings hydraulic preload adjuster. Fred H is quite enthusiastic about it. I am really glad I did this mod--Carl

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
If you have that much clearance now, won't you run out of tire if you use all that added lean angle. You might have to look for some real sport tires now! LOL... :D

I had very little, if any, chicken stripes on my Stones with the stock suspension. Now that I have the Progressives in front, I have no chicken stripes! :)

Enjoy..........

1 - 2 of 2 Posts