GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am going to put a 205/60-16 on my vtx 1800. will the smae tire fit on the wing? i searched but had a hard time finding the answer. most guys use a 205/55/16 on the vtx, but i want to stick to the same dia.. i think the 205/60/16 will corect the speedometer.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Only going from things I have read, I belive 205 is to wide you need a 195 to fit the 1800 wing. Don't know about using a 60 seems most that I read about use a 55. Maybe someone who has used a C/T on their bike will comment.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Most of us are using 195/55's. The 205 will clear the swing arm but might rub against the wheelwell. If it does, you will need to figure out how to pull some material back. 205's are much easier to find so you will have an advantage there if you make it work.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i don't want the speedometer off more than it is. i will just have to do it on the vtx and not the wing. i just put new skins on the front of both bikes. i am going with a a 205/60-16 goodyear tripletread on the back of the vtx.

·
Registered
973 Posts
hitechrr - It is my understanding that a 205/55 will fit without rubbing the swingarm. It may rub the inner fender which would then need to be held back with wire ties. I believe Alan Moore, a contributer to this board, is running or has run a 205/55 without any modifications to his bike. One should check with him directly to make sure my information is correct.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am running a Michelin Harmony 205/55-16 on my 1800 with no modifications. I have a Hannigan sidecar so there is no leaning. There is a little over 27,000 miles on that tire with a lot of tread left. It will make it through the 2007 riding season. I can only state that it fits but not to the handling since the sidecar stays on all the time.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
does it rub on anyting? or should i ask if you had to modify anything?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have never removed the 205/55-16 since it was installed in 2004 so I don't know if it has rubbed anything. When I installed it, I spun it in place several times and there was no touching or rubbing at that time. For my sidecar application it is ideal and when it is worn out I will replace it with another Michelin Harmony. Based on previous wear, I expect about 40,000 miles out of this tire. I have seen NO downside to putting the car tire on the sidecar rig.

·
Registered
6 Posts
BTW, My speedometer is still off using the 205/55-16 Michelin car tire. A GPS speed of 70 MPH shows a Honda speed of 74 MPH. Very little difference from the original OEM bike tire. Sorry, if that is one intent to changing then this size is not for you.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
D Brown said:
BTW, My speedometer is still off using the 205/55-16 Michelin car tire. A GPS speed of 70 MPH shows a Honda speed of 74 MPH. Very little difference from the original OEM bike tire. Sorry, if that is one intent to changing then this size is not for you.
Looking at sizes, I think a 65 would correct the speedo but it would be softer and might rub on the forward part of the swing-arm and wheel well. The speedo error is even lower than the cost savings on my list of reasons to use a C/T.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts