GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
The shock will work and the spring will add a bit of extra strength over stock as the new ones have a heavier spring. They are going from 250-300 on eBay.

it will make a huge difference.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
Yes it will work just like a brand new actuator, I never heard of anyone wearing out the actuator, mine has over 400,000 and works just like new, I have a 2013 rear shock and it works significantly better than the earlier rear shocks I've had.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yes it will work just like a brand new actuator, I never heard of anyone wearing out the actuator, mine has over 400,000 and works just like new, I have a 2013 rear shock and it works significantly better than the earlier rear shocks I've had.
Thanks Mike!! I was doing a search for this info when I came across this. I installed mono tubes last spring and knew right after my first ride that I needed to do something to the rear also. So, I have found this 0-miles 2013 trike take off shock and I didn't know if it would fit because it is a different part number from the 2006. Now I know! I won't be able to install it for awhile though, so maybe you could take care of it for me and tighten all those hose clamps (I read someplace that you have first hand experience with this) while you are in there.:joke::lol: Just kid din'. Lucky for you, huh? :lol: I bet you would rather be out riding!

I am not sure when things will get back to normal around here, as I have an appointment to see a neurosurgeon on Tuesday to find out about taking care of a pinched nerve in the C5-C6 area. My left hand is useless the way it is, but tinkering with the bike will give me something to do while I am recovering after the surgery. Zero miles on the bike so far this year.:cry:

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
I am not sure when things will get back to normal around here, as I have an appointment to see a neurosurgeon on Tuesday to find out about taking care of a pinched nerve in the C5-C6 area. My left hand is useless the way it is, but tinkering with the bike will give me something to do while I am recovering after the surgery. Zero miles on the bike so far this year.:cry:
Wishing you all the best my friend !!!!

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
Thanks Mike!! I was doing a search for this info when I came across this. I installed mono tubes last spring and knew right after my first ride that I needed to do something to the rear also. So, I have found this 0-miles 2013 trike take off shock and I didn't know if it would fit because it is a different part number from the 2006. Now I know! I won't be able to install it for awhile though, so maybe you could take care of it for me and tighten all those hose clamps (I read someplace that you have first hand experience with this) while you are in there.:joke::lol: Just kid din'. Lucky for you, huh? :lol: I bet you would rather be out riding!

Pinched nerve yikes !!! I sure hope they figure out a way to get it working like it's supposed to again so you and the wife can put on a couple hundred thousand more miles.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Wishing you all the best my friend !!!!
Pinched nerve yikes !!! I sure hope they figure out a way to get it working like it's supposed to again so you and the wife can put on a couple hundred thousand more miles.
Thanks guys for the well wishes.

Now onto the subject of the thread. I bought a 2013 shock and actuator for a really reasonable price from Northwest Honda in Rice Lake just a few days before I had the surgery, while I was still able to drive. They have more take-off parts available as they have been converting bikes over to trikes with Hannigan kits for at least the last few years and maybe even longer. So, if anyone is looking for trike take-off parts, Dan, the owner, is the guy to talk to. I am not affiliated with him or Honda in any way, but wanted to mention it in case someone needs something for the GL1800.
Now I just need to learn how to top off the reservoir and then get well enough to start working on the bike again to change out this shock and tighten all the hose clamps that are under the gas tank while I have the tank removed.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Well...I have been able to tinker a little bit once-in-awhile on the bike and before I knew it, the old shock was out of the bike and the new one was in its place. The actuator has been filled to the brim and now starts to raise the bike at the 0 count on the display. I think I will like that a lot. I also came up with an easy way to raise the bike off the floor while working on it. I don't know why I didn't think of this a lot sooner. It sure is a lot faster, easier and safer than trying to use floor jacks.
I also tightened all the hose clamps that I could find. This was much harder and time consuming than the shock replacement.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403045101.215065.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403045169.253709.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403045246.006395.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403045318.290799.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
483 Posts
I wasn't able to get good photos showing the hoist set-up because of the limited work space in my shed. Here are some more that might show it better. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403046096.304656.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403046123.847211.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403046137.319863.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
I never saw anyone use that method of lifting the wing before :thumbup:

Most just use the center stand for changing rear shock , that's what I do :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
When I moved to this house 20 years ago I made a beam to support a 2000 lbs electric chain hoist from each rafter the entire span . I lift everything with it . Sure makes it nice way off the ground on my back . Now with pitbull the only time I use hoist is lawnmower and odd shaped bikes with no decent flat surface on the under side . Sold my cherry picker shortly after making hoist. Never missed it either , which is good as it took pup much needed space .

·
Registered
483 Posts
I never saw anyone use that method of lifting the wing before :thumbup:

Most just use the center stand for changing rear shock , that's what I do :thumbup:
I have never seen anyone use a cherry picker to hoist the Gold Wing either. We have several cherry pickers at work because of their flexibility in tight spaces. That is where I got the idea as I needed something to lift the bike because I can't get it out of the HF wheel chock. I am limited to no pushing or pulling and my lifting limitations were increased to 25 lbs. just last week. You will have to check out the X-rays on my "Bad Timing" thread, post #24, to see why.
When I moved to this house 20 years ago I made a beam to support a 2000 lbs electric chain hoist from each rafter the entire span . I lift everything with it . Sure makes it nice way off the ground on my back . Now with pitbull the only time I use hoist is lawnmower and odd shaped bikes with no decent flat surface on the under side . Sold my cherry picker shortly after making hoist. Never missed it either , which is good as it took pup much needed space .
I wish I had a nice shop like yours. Maybe someday, but I doubt it. I have a jack similar to the pitbull, but I don't have the space in the shed to get it under the bike. And I can't move the bike right now. Actually, the bike hasn't moved since last November. :-( Give me another month of physical therapy and we will see where I am at. The muscles in my left arm hurt quite a bit since the numbness has left my arm and hand, but I would think that should be getting better soon. And then it will be ZOOM ZOOM!!:thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts