GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a ride yesterday & stopped into a Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki Dealer in Odessa, Texas. They had both a CB1100 and a CTX 700 that I've been sort of considering, so I asked to ride the CTX. Salesman told me they didn't allow any bike to be ridden before it was purchased, but they did allow you to ride it LESS than 30 miles and if I didn't like it, I could trade it in on another bike.

Is this practice common at Dealers nowadays? I bought my Wing from a private party so I didn't deal with a Dealer then. I was flabbergasted & told the guy no way would I buy a bike without riding it.

Has anyone else run into this?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Dealers often claim that it's an insurance issue for them. Too bad. If they want to sell bikes, people have to ride them. I won't buy a bike I can't ride, and I'll ride it as long as it takes to satisfy my concerns, if I have any. Take a look at the new Indian dealerships, they are advertising for scheduling your test rides! They are "encouraging" test rides. The insurance is a cost of doing business for dealers and they pass it on to you anyway, so it's a lousy policy that unfortunately is practiced by a lot of dealers.

·
Registered
498 Posts
That's obviously a dealership that doesn't want to sell motorcycles. I'd go back there and ask the salesman is: "Would you buy a pair of SHOES without trying them on?" "Then why the (insert cuss word of your choice here) would I buy a motorcycle without riding it?" Then proceed to tell them to shove their bikes up their a$$ and take your money else where. Come on over here to Shreveport/Bossier LA, show 'em your license & sign a piece of paper...ride any bike you want! When the new Valk came out, I had no plans to buy it, I just said I wanted to take it for a spin. They said here's the keys...tell us what ya think!

·
Registered
32 Posts
What an incredible idea Harley Has!

As far as i know almost every Harley Dealer still rents (Maybe covers the cost of insurance?) bikes for 1 to 3 days, gives plenty of time to live with the bike, take it home park it in the garage, see if it fits, whatever,AND The rental if free if you buy a bike. I really don't mind paying for a test ride ESPECIALLY if I am thinking of investing $20 ~ $30,000 or so (I would call that common sense) And if Honda would wise up with MORE COMMON SENSE they might be able to sell and be as profitable at selling bikes as Harley is...What part of DUH does Honda NOT understand?

·
Registered
938 Posts
BMW let's you test ride and I have heard many Harley dealers do also but I have never been in a dealership to know. Very few Japanese dealers I have been to let you test ride.

I rented a GL1800 a couple times before buying one just to be sure it's what I wanted.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Definitely would not buy any bike I haven't test road. I would Find another dealer! Salemen said ride less than 30 miles and you would have to trade it on another bike! Was salemen going to depreciate the bike. What a a$$.

·
Registered
352 Posts
When I bought my wing, it had been a long time since I had bought a new bike, so long that test rides were common then. So I waltzed into Maxim honda in Allen TX never considering that a test ride might not be allowed. I told the salesman what I wanted, asked if he had a demo bike that I could take for a spin, he asked to see my scooter license and off I went. My buddy was looking at ST1300's at the time so they put him on one to follow me. If I had run into what you did I would have 1) been stunned and 2) been out of there like a shot. Once purchased elsewhere I would have made a point to go by and show him my new wing however.
This dealership has probably done you a huge favor by showing their colors before you gave them any of your money. Shake the dust and mosey on down the road....

·
Registered
724 Posts
Around here the dealers that want to stay in business will let you ride their used bikes, at the very least. Show up with a M endorsement on your license and sign a liability waiver, ride whatever you want to. I did go to a local Suzuki shop a couple years ago, wanted to test ride a used Boulevard 800, the sales doof tells me that I had to buy it first, if I didn't like it I could return it. Needless to say, I didn't play their game and proceeded down the highway to Honda of Russellville and rode 3 different Goldwings. Funny thing, they are still in business, but Freedom Suzuki is not......

Joe

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I've test ridden all three used bikes I've purchased from Sunrise Honda in Searcy, Ar. I called the other day about a new model and my salesman said to be sure and bring my riding gear because he had it ready for a test ride. Some do, some don't. I purchase from some, and some not. Their decision.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I called SD House of Motorcycles looking for a specific bike and color (used GL1800 yellow) and they had it. A half an hour later I was test riding it and less than an hour after that I was riding it home.

SD BMW let me ride a couple of bikes but I didn't care for them (the bikes). The folks at the dealership were decent. Plus, they had great coffee.

I visited NC Yamaha last year and rode the Triumph Trophy SE for a while and loved it. I'm buying that bike when I return from deployment late next year. However, while shopping around for the Trophy I found myself at South Bay Motorsports in Chula Vista. To say that I have a low opinion of that dealership would be an understatement. I rolled up on my GL and told a salesman exactly what I was looking for. The guy obviously wasn't interested in selling a bike that day. I had cash in hand and dude wouldn't let me ride the Trophy. WTF? I will NEVER step foot in South Bay Motorsports again.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Same experience with MAXIM HONDA in Allen, TX north of Dallas. They are a large dealership and have several demo bikes. First time I went in, wife was wearing sandals and said that was a no-no. Went back a couple of weeks later wearing long pants and regular shoes, and rode demo Wing two up by showing M/C license and insurance. First time on a Wing in 23 years and the weight and mass scared the crap out of me, especially sharp turns. I ended up buying a current model bike with 126 miles on the clock from an individual that had $3000 worth of accessories on it for much less than the dealership wanted but gave up a year of warranty to get it. I take my parts and what little warranty business to MAXIM they seem happy to help me.

Johnny S

·
Registered
297 Posts
Kawasaki has "Test Ride" program. I have test rode every bike that I have bought new, even my Roadsmith Trike! NO RIDE, NO SALE!!!

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
As far as i know almost every Harley Dealer still rents (Maybe covers the cost of insurance?) bikes for 1 to 3 days, gives plenty of time to live with the bike, take it home park it in the garage, see if it fits, whatever,AND The rental if free if you buy a bike. I really don't mind paying for a test ride ESPECIALLY if I am thinking of investing $20 ~ $30,000 or so (I would call that common sense) And if Honda would wise up with MORE COMMON SENSE they might be able to sell and be as profitable at selling bikes as Harley is...What part of DUH does Honda NOT understand?
:agree: If they won't let me ride to see if it's what I want, they can shove it.
Never bought a bike, car, or truck without a test drive, and never will.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've test ridden all three used bikes I've purchased from Sunrise Honda in Searcy, Ar. I called the other day about a new model and my salesman said to be sure and bring my riding gear because he had it ready for a test ride. Some do, some don't. I purchase from some, and some not. Their decision.
The same family owns Shawnee Honda Motorsports in Shawnee, OK. This is how they treat me in Shawnee, give me the keys to anything I want to ride. I've bought several bikes & 1 trike from them. The only shopping I do, is, if I'm looking for a used bike, I'll shop CL. If I want a new one, I go to Shawnee and buy it. I don't shop dealers. Shawnee has treated me & my family well and taken good care of us.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Honda has something like "Demo Ride Days" where all dealerships give test rides, I think they advertise it on their national website. I was only nominally considering a Wing as I figured it would be fat, slow and handle like a pig. Quick trip around block was all it took. Did not buy from that dealer because they did not have the Yellow Airbag I wanted. Don't know their general policy about test rides though.

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
I was able to do a test ride on a Harley Sportster at a dealer years ago, no problem. My Honda dealer in Dallas allows test rides too.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
My dealer will allow test rides... To me at least. I could see that it may not be such a great idea to turn a 900 pound motorcycle to someone who has not rode one before. Even if a dealer's insurance covers a wreck, I'm sure their rates would go through the roof. They may not even have insurance for that type of thing. Who knows. Maybe I'll ask. Anyway, as far as wings go, I really would not even need a test ride there anyway. Funny thing... A few years ago they had a salesman who was a die hard BMW guy and had rode just about everywhere. When he would give me a loaner for warranty work it would always be a BMW. He sure wanted to sell me one. I finally did buy one. :lol:

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I always have been able to test ride any bike I've been interested in, no questions asked, just show my license and sign a piece of paper and have a helmet. At the same time at one dealer, a couple guys had to settle for a ride on the back given by the salesmen, probably because they didn't have a motorcycle endorsement on their license.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts