GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ask this light heartily. Yesterday a friend of mine showed me a full page picture in his latest Wing World mag. and asked me if I noticed something odd about the pic. It jumped right out at me as soon as I saw the pic. One of the GW's in the foreground had a CT on the back and what looks like it might be a BT45 on the front. Knowing how anti CT the GWRRA is I am surprised this pic made it to the mag.:eek:4:

Reactions: Ratster

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
OHHH NNNNOOOOOOO!!!!!

giggle giggle, snicker...

:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
That's funny! Yeah, the home office is pretty opinionated on this, but the rank and file still tend to do what they want. >:)

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
A friend of the owners cousins brother in laws boss said the tire fell off the rim on the way home from the photo shoot, he has third degree burns over 120% of his body and the bike blew up a fire truck. The mans insurance wont pay as the wonkiness of the tire’s bead shredded the sidewall, causing the accident. He was ticketed for the tire and the modulating headlights that blinded the police bike’s rider who ran into the crashed motorcycle. Pictures in Wing World next month with accompanying warning and an announcement of the photo retraction...

·
Registered
488 Posts
Okay, let's play nice. I belong to GWRRA because I believe in and promote riding for Fun, Safety and Knowledge. I have many friends that are like minded that I enjoy a RTE, a weekend ride or a ride across the country with. The only seminars I've sat in on that promoted only MC tires on the Wing were given by Bridgestone and maybe Dunlop. I've slept too many nights to remember if Dunlop presented one. Other than some on this forum I've not been chastised by anyone for the tire I run on the rear of my Wing. Maybe there's a reason for that picture showing up. Maybe not...but I'm still gonna keep riding with a CT on the back and the reasons are the same one's that we all share. Ride Safe and Ride Often.:wink2:

·
Registered
788 Posts
I ask this light heartily. Yesterday a friend of mine showed me a full page picture in his latest Wing World mag. and asked me if I noticed something odd about the pic. It jumped right out at me as soon as I saw the pic. One of the GW's in the foreground had a CT on the back and what looks like it might be a BT45 on the front. Knowing how anti CT the GWRRA is I am surprised this pic made it to the mag.:eek:4:
I didn't know that GWRRA was anti Car Tire.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I don't have the issue in front of me so I can't know either way BUT was it a Trike ????
They run car tires on the rear of those Trikes ya know !!!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I m sure that the individual in the picture has to have been killed by now doing such a horrific thing. LOL
Which horrific thing, taking a pic of a GL with a CT or riding a GL with a CT?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I didn't know that GWRRA was anti Car Tire.
Several months ago they published a member letter in WW to the mechanic who replaced Stu Oltman. The letter was a commentary from a member who is anti-DS. The mechanic agreed with the member. BTW, the member admitted to never riding DS. The member and the mechanic HAD ABSOLUTELY NO FACTS TO SUPPORT THEIR POSITION. They simply didn't like DS and could not understand why anyone would do it.

So, they may not have an anti-DS policy but they certainly have an anti-DS bias.

·
Registered
788 Posts
You might think that they are anti-darkside and they may very well be but that is not sufficient proof.

The workbench column in Wing World magazine is sponsored by D&D Discount Motorcycles, 617 S. McClintock Drive, Tempe, Arizona 85281. It specifically states, "The opinions in Workbench do not necessarily reflect those of the editorial staff, publishers of Wing World, GWRRA or their agents."

·
Registered
685 Posts
--

How about someone posting a screen shot.

--

·
Registered
788 Posts
I do not have a screen shot but if it is the car tire on the wing you are interested in, check your December 2019 issue.

It is on page 7.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
You might think that they are anti-darkside and they may very well be but that is not sufficient proof.
They are as pro- and anti- darkside as any other gaggle of people who post pro- and/or anti- darkside on this, or any other media site.

And, BTW, the boilerplate disclaimer is legalese CYA for the Association, that is all.

·
Registered
788 Posts
They are as pro- and anti- darkside as any other gaggle of people who post pro- and/or anti- darkside on this, or any other media site.

And, BTW, the boilerplate disclaimer is legalese CYA for the Association, that is all.
I agree. We probably don't even need to be discussing it at all. It is a moot point.
And yes, I know it is just legalese for CYA for the Association.

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
I m sure that the individual in the picture has to have been killed by now doing such a horrific thing. LOL
Maybe the tire "committed suicide"?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Several months ago they published a member letter in WW to the mechanic who replaced Stu Oltman. The letter was a commentary from a member who is anti-DS. The mechanic agreed with the member. BTW, the member admitted to never riding DS. The member and the mechanic HAD ABSOLUTELY NO FACTS TO SUPPORT THEIR POSITION. They simply didn't like DS and could not understand why anyone would do it.

So, they may not have an anti-DS policy but they certainly have an anti-DS bias.
My thoughts on the W.W. comment. . . .

(1) D&D is putting their business in jeopardy if they make any comment that counters a manufacturer's manual of "authorized" or "suggested" equipment on their product.

(2) If you don't think some lawyer wouldn't use D&D (or any other PUBLISHED company) to feather their case and reach into the companies pockets, think Bayer and the lawyer advertisements telling you if you ever used Round-Up you are going to get millions of dollars.

Riding DS is completely a personal matter. I don't care if you do or don't ride a CT as long as you are not cutting me off, riding all over the road as if you can't find your "track", and you are not telling me I am wrong because I am comfortable with my MC.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
My thoughts on the W.W. comment. . . .

(1) D&D is putting their business in jeopardy if they make any comment that counters a manufacturer's manual of "authorized" or "suggested" equipment on their product.

(2) If you don't think some lawyer wouldn't use D&D (or any other PUBLISHED company) to feather their case and reach into the companies pockets, think Bayer and the lawyer advertisements telling you if you ever used Round-Up you are going to get millions of dollars.

Riding DS is completely a personal matter. I don't care if you do or don't ride a CT as long as you are not cutting me off, riding all over the road as if you can't find your "track", and you are not telling me I am wrong because I am comfortable with my MC.
But yet no one questions pulling a trailer with a GL, despite that act SPECIFICALLY being called out in the owner's manual.

The easiest thing for D&D was to not reply to a NON-TECHNICAL letter. The member who wrote the letter wasn't asking for help with a bike problem. He was airing his OPINION on something he HAD NO EXPERIENCE WITH. The D&D guy offered his OPINION in response. Then he spouted TOTALLY UNSUBSTANTIATED claims of tickets, accidents, insurance refusals, etc. Unless that was some other anti-DS person on another forum. I sometimes lose track of all the fake news about DS users.

But hey, GWRRA is free to do what they want, as is D&D. As am I. I dropped my GWRRA membership because it lacked value FOR ME. And I don't DS.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts