GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously thinking about a new 2018-19 Goldwing because at least on paper and on the dealers showroom floor, it seems a better design than my new 1997, 2001 and 2012 Goldwings I have owned in the past:laugh:

Having owned BMW's with the Telelever and paralever suspensions that were fantastic, I look forward to trying the technology out on the new GW because it addresses the POOR front suspension on my past wings and even on my recently sold 2014 CTX1300D, that rode like a 50 year old Honda Trail 90:surprise:

The lighter weight sounds good but is the design still a touring bike or has it become a portly Sportbike?

They are selling right now, for less than I paid for my 2012 so the price seems right and I know I must ride one other than just sitting on the seat at the dealers but I have some consternation about flaws in the front end design and operation as addressed in many Youtube videos on the subject:surprise:

What say you?????

I currently ride a new Indian:laugh:

Sam:nerd:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Love mine

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A man of few words????:grin2:

·
Love The DCT
12,024 Posts
What say you?????
This is what I say.

Don't believe everything you see in youtube videos concerning the so called "Flaws in the front end design and operation as addressed in many Youtube videos on the subject."

Go out and ride one.

:doorag:

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
"Flaws" in the front end design? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! Says who?? Someone with money to make by selling "upgrades"?? Someone with money to make from click bait??

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Only you can answer that for you. My thoughts for my self are that I would love to have one. Understand that I've been riding an 1800 since 2009 for around 300k miles. Most with suspension upgrades to the front.
My riding bud has a dct and we switched for an afternoon last spring. For me a dct would certainly be the best choice. We were in Florida so Twisties really weren't available, but the suspension felt good enough to not make me think that I would need to budget for upgrades right away. The dct, in my opinion makes this big bike really easy to ride. Go take a ride. You're the one with your experience. That's why you're the only one who can say what's right for you.

Richard

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am certain that you would enjoy the new Goldwing from your first ride and even more each time you ride it. The more you ride the more you enjoy it, it does it all very well in a much lighter package. The DCT model is a must for pure pleasure.. Give it a try..!

·
Registered
584 Posts
What’s wrong with the indian?
LOTS of heat from the rear cylinder. Was a deal breaker for me

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Like everyone else has already said go take a few test rides, I believe you will be very impressed just like I was. The new front suspension is amazing ! I definitely would choose the DCT tourer .

·
Registered
83 Posts
LOTS of heat from the rear cylinder. Was a deal breaker for me

One of the reasons I got rid of my Roadmaster. Along with mediocre performance (engine checks out about 3500 rpm), rattling windshield, rattling fairing, squealing drive belt, peeling chrome trim and bubbling paint due to rust in a fender seam.

I can't offer any input on the new ones, only had the pleasure of sitting on one. But the foot/knee position seemed a little more "relaxed" than my 08.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
The 2012 would be a better choice than the new model for me at least. Smaller and lighter does not excite me. I would just buy the Yamaha FJR1300 before buying a new goldwing if I wanted to downsize. DCT? I don't think so in this lifetime.

·
Registered
466 Posts
One up, most are very happy. Two up, most say the previous was far better.
Where’d you get your data?

It looks to like nearly all the whiners are riding two up, but that’s not the same as saying most who ride two don’t like it. From what I’ve seen most prefer the new one with pillion or without.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I just picked up my 2018 and only have 500 miles. The suspension is way better than my stock 02 and 06 but not as good as my 08 with Traxxion. It effortlessly holds a line in a curve, way easier to make 180's, and takes railroad tracks and man holes smoothly. On back roads it bottomed out a few times and felt too loose on washboards. At times it jarred me enough to cause me to twist the throttle causing a good bit of gear lash in the rear. Probably due mostly to my inexperience with the feel of the throttle. As I get used to the bike I'm sure I will like it more although I will add Traxxion next year. I like the bike very much. Don't like the wind management or the pos stereo. My wife doesn't like it at all.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Let me start by saying that I have a BMW GSA (this is my second) and I've had several Wings. I have the 2018 DCT and was also excited by the new front end design but quickly found out the suspension was the absolutely WORSE that I have been on. It was like riding a pogo stick where I would go over a bump and instead of getting one bounce I would get two bounces that were way out of sync. I hated the ride and on one bump, my wife was actually launched and fortunately came back down on the seat and not completely off the bike. The fix; the Traxxion suspension upgrade. Was it cheap, no, but I plan on keeping this bike and now that I have the upgraded suspension I love it.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
I am seriously thinking about a new 2018-19 Goldwing because at least on paper and on the dealers showroom floor, it seems a better design than my new 1997, 2001 and 2012 Goldwings I have owned in the past:laugh:

Having owned BMW's with the Telelever and paralever suspensions that were fantastic, I look forward to trying the technology out on the new GW because it addresses the POOR front suspension on my past wings and even on my recently sold 2014 CTX1300D, that rode like a 50 year old Honda Trail 90:surprise:

The lighter weight sounds good but is the design still a touring bike or has it become a portly Sportbike?

They are selling right now, for less than I paid for my 2012 so the price seems right and I know I must ride one other than just sitting on the seat at the dealers but I have some consternation about flaws in the front end design and operation as addressed in many Youtube videos on the subject:surprise:

What say you?????

I currently ride a new Indian:laugh:

Only you know what your requirements are. The new bike has attributes that appeals to some, and the older bike or other touring bikes has attributes that appeal to others. Personally smaller, sportier was not characteristics that brought me into the Goldwing world, but that does not make the new bike a wrong choice for those who like it. It seems that there are things that appeal to you about the new Goldwing. I would suggest that you try one, I don't think you will be disappointed.
I've never been on two wheels of any kind and not been happy, and believe me I've been on some real dogs.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Where’d you get your data?

It looks to like nearly all the whiners are riding two up, but that’s not the same as saying most who ride two don’t like it. From what I’ve seen most prefer the new one with pillion or without.
Really? Where'd you get YOUR data?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Reactions: GWilly
1 - 20 of 30 Posts