GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like knee replacement is in the future, maybe later in the year. I know a lot of you have had this and are riding, but I was wondering about weight lifting limits, and activities like hiking with a backpack, and dirt bike riding. The hiking, and dirt biking are on hold now. Can still ride a dirt bike, but if I put a foot down and it tweaks the knee a little I end up peeing my pants, and I can't have that.:shock:

Dr. says I can go without as long as I can stand the pain, but before I do I want to know how life will change, Other than the pain will hopefully be gone.

Thanks Mike

· Registered
9,099 Posts
Time to start thinking about a trike. When it got really hard for me to hold up a wing with wife aboard, I had to do some soul searching. Decided to try a trike, now wish I had done it 20 years ago. Completely new ball game.

So, don't give up. Trikes are a lot like GL1800s - not necessarily for the decrepit and old fogies.....

· Registered
216 Posts
Id ask the Doc or possibly the rehab tech you would be working with about any limitations you my encounter with a knee replacement before asking people on a board. I know they would mean well, but they arent your doctor.

· Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, but doctors seem to be like truck, or bike owners. They drive one, but wouldn't think about owning another brand.

One was like "I wouldn't do that", and the other was "you'll know when to quit when it hurts."

Just thought I would check with some real world participants to see how they cope with different situations.

· Registered
1,883 Posts
I'm 60 years old, both of my knees have been replaced ( my right knee twice ). I put 20,000 miles a year on motorcycles. Carry a big bottle of Advil.

· Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
10,230 Posts
A friend of mine at work had a knee replaced at age 35. He missed work for around 4 months and had a lot of pain during his rehab, but now he walks better and straighter than he did before the knee replacement..you would never know he had the knee replaced just looking at him walk...but he says it still hurts some.

· Registered
493 Posts
Had my left replaced in 2003. Pain is completely gone and it doesn't bother me at all. I can tell that my left knee is not quite as strong as my right knee, but it is not that much different. It doesn't bother me to ride at all. The only thing the doctor said I couldn't do is running. Me and running - now that's just a joke anyhow. Other that you just can't kneel on the knee anymore, but you can usually work around that.

The best advice I can give you is to be really diligent about doing your physical therapy after the surgery. I was only out of work for 6 weeks, but then again my work doesn't require me to be on my feet all the time either.

· Registered
419 Posts
Left one done Jan/feb of 2004 and right one done jan/feb of 2007. Both doing great and no limits to riding my HARLEY. Not sure on the gold wings but I would advice you wear long pants because you kinda look like frankenstein after the replacements. Some pretty big scars.

· Registered
472 Posts
Had my right knee replaced 10 yrs ago. I was sorry I waited as long as I did. I was only 43 at the time and drs. said it would probably only last 8-10 yrs. It's still going strong, no problems. The easier you are on it the longer it will last. The prosthetics they're using now are much better, as are the techniques. Just work real hard at your therapy, and chances are you'll be good to go. Not sure about the dirt biking though. Good luck!

· Registered
4,007 Posts
I had total knee replacement on my left knee in January 2008. I didn't have a choice any longer. I was headed for a wheel chair if I didn't get the replacement done. And that would never do for me.

I had it done and they want you up walking the day after surgery. A little at a time but it is dead on to helping you walk again. It does take about 4-5 weeks before you can ride the bike though. Healing does take time and as stated above, physical therapy is the key to success.

Hardest part for me is bending the knee to get on the bike. Getting off can be a real pain as well. I have a backrest for the driver and when I have to step over the seat to get on, it is combersome. Equally harder when getting off. That little up step I have to take can be real painful.

I did get a tow-pac unit and it helps. I don't have to worry about pushing the bike over when I am trying to get off.

Other than that, I can ride all day. Much better than not doing the replacement. I do still have pain when climbing stairs but not as bad as before.

The surgery is better now and you will be walking around with your walker for maybe a week. It all depends on what your pain and stability are going to be. Don't let anyone kid you about the physical therapy...it hurts like hell but it is worth every bit that you put into it. After 3 weeks of therapy I had 110% movement in my left knee. Even the doctor was amazed.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to send me a message and I will try to answer them. I know first hand what it takes to get better.

· Registered
8 Posts
Knees

Had both mine replaced same time, was walking with walker 2 hours afterwards, left hospital in 4 days able to go up and down stairs with assistance (walker, cane). Secret to recovery is start working out building up your legs before the replacement, was riding 6 weeks after replacment.

good luck
kit

· Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Have never had a replacement, but with all the new products they use today....I would take a guess that you would be just fine! JMHO

Shadow1

Hal

· Registered
275 Posts
Knee Replacement

Had a complete right knee replaced Nov. 17th. Had no problem at all. First two weeks was slow. The next week I cleaned the snow off my drive with a snow plower. In six weeks I was doing about anything I wanted to do. Weather here has not been fit to ride but the knee would not stop me. I just replaced tires on a friend's 1500 rode it on off my lift and changed the front tire. My left knee hurts more than my right. I will have it done next winter. My surgery is a biker and he said I would never know it on the bike. I am 71 years old and I sure not ready for no trike.

· Registered
3,877 Posts
I'm 57 and I just had my left knee done on Dec. 16, 2008. It's been almost 8 weeks and if we weren't buried under 10 feet of snow, I'd be riding today. Unfortunately it will be another month or so but that has nothing to do with my knee.

As others have said, start doing physio before your surgery and be religious about it after. No pain, no gain, right.

· Registered
514 Posts
What if you crash?

Never had a knee replaced but wonder what would happen if a replaced knee was smashed up in a crash.
Would it be repairable or would it mean a wheel chair for life?

· Registered
26 Posts
Teepee

I had both knees done last year. One in March the other in Sept. The first one turned out great. Not much pain at all. Right knee. The left knee did not turn out as good as the right. I have problem folding my leg up enough to shift the bike.

One thing to consider about when to have the knee fixed. The better the range of motion before the surgery, the better the range will be after the surgery. I waited too long on the left knee.

As others have stated, you really really need to do the PT after the surgery. I worked out for two months for and hour a day four times a week before I did both knees. That too helped out.

As for riding the bike now. NO problems. In fact, I rode a honda reflex scooter that I didn't have to shift until I was able to get back on the wing.

As for crashing on the knee, They sell spare parts.

· Registered
19 Posts
HAD MINE DONE 2 YEARS AGO AND HASN'T MADE ANY DIFFERENCE IN RIDING ABILITY, PUT ON 23,000 LAST YEAR AND JUST HAVE TO MAKE SURE i CAN STRETCH THE LEG OUT ONCE IN A WHILE.
AS FAR AS WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF IN AN ACCIDENT, WELL I THINK THE NEW ONE IS MADE OUT OF METAL AND THE OTHER ONE OUR OF BONE, LETS SEE < STEEL, BONE , STEEL BONE , > WELL I HOPE I WILL NEVER HAVE TO FIND OUT.

· Registered
1,169 Posts
I had both my knees replaced at the same time in Jul 02 at age 63. I can kneel on both as needed but cannot squat all the way down. My doctor told me the limit on squatting is because of the type of devices she used and that if I tried a complete squat, I may dislocate the knee(s).

I began riding in Jul 05 at age 66 and have had NO limitations on motorcycling as a result of the surgery. Of course I do try very diligently to avoid dropping the bike when stopped. :roll:

I recommend that you keep in touch with your doctor about when to have surgery. Above all else, make absolutely certain that you faithfully do the rehabbing therapy you are given. Be sure to do the exercises at home as well. Listen to your doctor and therapist and follow their directions. Doing so will help you more than you can know.

Good luck.

Todd

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.