GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During our trip to Wing Ding the CB on my 07 1800 with original battery stopped working. It had given me the occasional CB error message in the past, but on our trip to TN it went completely kaput. registering CB error almost immediately after starting out. If I removed the seat and unplugged the power connector and plugged it back in it would work with the seat off the bike while sitting still, but as soon as I started rolling the CB error message would come on again. As I had reseated all connectors minus the noise filters during my troubleshooting earlier of this I suspected it was a bad CB unit and talked to the owner of Wingstuff (place I purchased the CB from) while at Wing Ding and he agreed to replace the unit for me. I just had to send it to his company once I got home which I promptly did. It took a little while to process the return but a replacement came in and I installed it. As soon as I started moving the CB error message came back on, bike hasn't been running for a while as I haven't been riding it a lot this past month and it seemed like it cranked for about 10 seconds before starting but it started. Fog lights were on, when I turn off the fog lights I can hear a slight audible pop/click in the speakers. After the lights were off for a while and I had run about a 40-60 miles I turned the CB back on and poof, it works. As I have a feeling the battery is getting close to needing replacement due to other symptoms I'm starting to think the battery could be causing all this grief. Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this before?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Low voltages make electronics start loosing their minds for sure. You could check your voltage with a Volt Ohm Meter (VOM) and just see what your buss voltage is. You might already be onto something already?

Good luck with yourtroubleshoot!!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
voltage reads 12.6 when sitting, power off. During cranking it drops to the 9.5 range and after its started it jumps up to around 14. All this is from memory as its been about 2 or 3 weeks since I took those measurements. The only thing I haven't done is a load test on the battery with an actual load tester.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes, it will. I had the same problem with the CB error. Bike still cranked OK and everything else worked. Replaced the battery and haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did you happen to have the battery tested before replacing or did you test it yourself? I'm really starting to think its a battery issue.

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
Yes, a low battery plays havoc with the cb. You would think it would work fine with the standard ~12 volts, but it don't. Most of them need the ~14 volts the alternator puts out. Mine squeals, coughs hacks and spits with low voltage.

Regarding the battery, yep, sounds like it's dying. 9.5 volts is a bit low for cranking. Time to take it to your local auto parts place and have a load test done on it. I get mine done every spring to give me an idea of the condition prior to riding season.

And agree with the battery tender post.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats what I was afraid of. I do have an el cheapo version of a battery trickle charger I got years ago from the local dealer, but I primarily use it when I'm out to sea. I usually ride daily otherwise, just been on transfer leave this past month and amazingly, haven't been able to get in any riding other than a trip to Wing Ding.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Anything can flip out with a low battery voltage. You can't troubleshoot any system or place blame without knowing that your supply voltage is ok. The CB isn't any more susceptible to the problem than any other piece of electronics.

The CB Error is a message generated by the microprocessor in the radio, not the CB. It means that the radio has lost communications with the CB while the CB function was active. This can be either because the CB lost power, or the communications line was lost.

The most common cause for the error is a bad/dirty connection in one of the two CB connectors, either the power connector under the seat, or the large white connector up near the radio. It can also be caused by bad connections on one of the two connectors that plug in under the seat.

I don't know how long the radio has to lose communications for the error to pop up. But when cranking, battery voltage typically drops down to about 9.5 volts give or take. 10 seconds of cranking is not normal, and may be enough to cause the radio to throw out a CB error message.

The CB certainly is capable of causing this if it is bad, and so is the radio. But with an intermittent problem, I would bet on something external in the bike's wiring as the culprit.

Remember that even though dirty or oxidized connectors is by far the most common cause for intermittent connections, it is also a very real possibility that a crimp on a connector pin has gone bad, or something similar. When problems get deep like this, coupled with being intermittent, they can be very difficult to locate. We can only help you with the common causes. Once those solutions have been exhausted, you can no longer troubleshoot over the Internet. A knowledgeable technician has to be at the bike.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I don't know how long the radio has to lose communications for the error to pop up.
~50ms, but only if a packet from the Audio Unit to the CB is being issued (for settings initialization and change). Normal packets take ~3 ms to complete. It will pop immediately if a corrupted packet comes from the CB to Audio Unit, except if the corrupted packet is an acknowledgment, in that case the Audio Unit resends. There is a starter mute line that deals with quiescing and reseting activities due to low voltages during cranking.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I had to change out the OEM battery last year.. i found it strange that the clock did not keep the proper time.. which should have given me a clue that the battery was going south.. so i think the answer is yes.. electronics will not function properly when a battery has low voltage..

cosmic

1 - 11 of 11 Posts