GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 1800 Goldwing it use to start while in gear with clutch pulled but now it won’t. Could someone tell me what’s wrong. Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
2006 GL1800P
463 Posts
Sounds like the switch on your clutch has failed. or the bushing that the clutch lever pivots in has too much play in it and the switch is not being fully activated when you pull the clutch lever.

·
Registered
2002 Stream Silver ABS. Full Traxxion Suspension.
1,065 Posts
Sounds like the switch on your clutch has failed. or the bushing that the clutch lever pivots in has too much play in it and the switch is not being fully activated when you pull the clutch lever.
Sounds like most logical thing to check first.

·
GL1800 Doctor
21,511 Posts
It could be the clutch switch. If the sidestand switch goes bad, the bike will die as soon as you put it into gear. It could also be an issue with the reverse regulator assembly. If you have an ohm meter, check the continuity of the switch while you squeeze the lever, it should close to 0 ohms when fully pulled.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Sometimes it's just that the contacts in the clutch handle get dirty. Have seen it happen a lot. Happened to me twice on two different goldwings. Once was after riding all day 700 miles in the rain. Assume it was road grime being thrown back at me from the rooster tail of other vehicles. Maybe if you use a good contact cleaner and saturate the contacts it could fix your problem.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I recently purchased an '02 and noticed this same issue. It was the clutch safety switch. Easy, quick and cheap to replace. In my case (and in the case of my previous Goldwing), you could see that the 'nub' sticking out of the switch that the clutch lever presses on was broken off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts