GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have access to the following

Honda Goldwing OEM Radio 39110-MCA-6010

Anybody know if it will work on my 2001 GL-1800 ??

Thank you! 8)

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is why I am asking, I have access to the 6010 number and know the 671 number is in the books ... I just am wondering what the difference might be, like maybe a European Radio or something !!

Thank you 8)

·
Registered
524 Posts
I think it only picks up Swiss and Tyrolean yodeling stations :roll:

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, and if you go down the page, it will have a picture with the specifications and the Frequency range is all wrong for us guys in the USA ...

I found a different model on ebay with the front panel looking like ours and the Frequencies are US so its probably the model I need.

And I went ahead and ordered it, it is a 39110-MCA-6720 M1 and looks like ours, smells like ours, sounds like ours and I could get screwed on ebay :lol:

Thanks you guys for the help 8)

·
Registered
847 Posts
There is a guy on ebay selling new radios from the distrubtor, he lives in my state and I have spoken to him on the phone, If you have any question PM me and I can fill you in.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
KA7W said:
Yeah, and if you go down the page, it will have a picture with the specifications and the Frequency range is all wrong for us guys in the USA ...

I found a different model on ebay with the front panel looking like ours and the Frequencies are US so its probably the model I need.

And I went ahead and ordered it, it is a 39110-MCA-6720 M1 and looks like ours, smells like ours, sounds like ours and I could get screwed on ebay :lol:

Thanks you guys for the help 8)
Along with the 39110-MCA-671, there was a 39110-MCA-672 used in the '01 - 04' Goldwings. Per the remote desktop fiche at http://www.servicehonda.com/
Don't know if that means anything or not, just thought I'd pass it on.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The more I study, the more I think I may have goofed up !! :lol: I ordered one with the 4 digit ending ... Then went to Google and asked about the FM bands in England vs America,,, We use odd spacing and they use even spacing, So, we will see, the ebay guy said it was warrantied but probably means that it will work, probably not warranty against a dumb owner :lol: He did say be sure to read the specifications :lol:

If the front end (RF and Mixer) are on a pc board, I could swap that for the old one as I assume it's the audio board that died ...

I don't know what the failure rate of the radios are, but if high enough, it might pay to learn to repair them.. a radio is basically a radio.. RF amp, Mixer, IF amp, Detectors and audio amp ... pretty simple !!

I can not for the life of me see the price Honda is asking for a replacement !! Actually if you stop and think about it, 15,500 for a motorcycle is not very smart either :lol: (I won't pay list). I just paid $495.00 For a 100 watt all band, all mode, Ham Radio transceiver... A lot more complicated than a AM/FM radio... And I get a 40 dollar rebate :lol:

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
762 Posts
KA7W said:
You done good, Tom. :)

I have mine sitting next to me (took it out to replace the internal lights) and it has the same stock number as the one you ordered.

Actually, you got the good version. You should notice when you get your "new" one installed that it has better AVC than the original. The 6720 was redesigned to avoid the 'CB feedback in the external speakers' that plagued the earlier model (6710). 'Course, if you don't have a CB then that point is moot.

73 de VA3BIT

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sunkist

You just gave me a ray of hope :eek:

My CB is a 39.95 CB mounted on the left side and works just fine.. Little speaker mounted up front and I get out loud and clear. 8 foot CB antenna mounted on the trailer and it works fine ! :lol:

Boy oh boy, I hope your right on this one, 140 bucks for a radio is a high price in my book...

Thanks for the information 8)

Red,

I did not know Honda had a refurb center, any information on it or how to find them ??

Thanks 8)

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I'll be interested to see how this turns out for you. I've been needing a radio myself and have seen the same ebay listing but feared it might be a scam. Please let me know. Thanks
Wayne

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
GL1800GSXR1000

I checked out the seller, He has sold 2500 items on ebay and has a 99.5 per cent positive feed back..... Pretty good huh ? Plus, if you pay with credit card or paypal, it is guranteed, you can't lose.

He only had ten for sale, but he may have another 1000 in the back, I may buy another for a spare at that price, and by the way, he gives a discount on the shipping if you buy more than one :lol:

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
I don't know what the failure rate of the radios are, but if high enough, it might pay to learn to repair them.. a radio is basically a radio.. RF amp, Mixer, IF amp, Detectors and audio amp ... pretty simple !!
I have thought about doing that Tom. I have also considered redesigning the Intercom circuit to lower the noise level and doing it as a side business.

It is not as easy as hooking up a car stereo though. The big problem is the display. You have to have an instrument cluster on the bench also to test them.

I just need to get ahold of a used radio cheap that I can cannibalize and study the feasibility. I have been pestering Panasonic for 2 years for a service manual and have come up empty so far.

·
Registered
548 Posts
the link to the radio on ebay is for a european one & they tune differently to USA ones.one tunes to odd numbers & the other tunes to even.
I had a US import wing with US radio but it still tuned to our UK stations ok so I would think it would be ok to you US guys. UK radios have U buttons US radios have FM buttons.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I knew the seller was from England right away. The ad says item is in Oxford. (just joking guys)

Looking at the frequencies listed, isn't that AM/FM and VHF? Is the VHF for the weather or can you tune in emergency services with it also?

I'm obviously not a radio head. :D

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I'd have thought the giant letter "E" on the label would have been enough of a hint, considering the radios for the American market have a giant letter "A" on theirs. :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts