GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on getting a new goldwing and extended warranty,, question is I heard the warranty is voided it I put a trailer hitch on it and I tow a trailer. Is this correct???

Thanks

·
Registered
759 Posts
according to mom honda yes...call em and get the skinny yourself...your owners manual says..this bike is not designed to tow a trailer..or put a side car on.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I've had a trailer hitch on my wings since '97, and have never had a problem with the dealer when taking the wing in for service (warranty) work.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If the question is, will Mother Honda accept legal responsibility for warranty work if you tow a trailer, I suspect (not a lawyer :D ) the answer is they will NOT. If the question is, will the dealer go ahead and perform warranty work, I suspect the answer is yes. But you're going to have to differentiate between what the legalese agrees to, and what any dealer will go ahead and do anyway! I've never known a lawyer who would be willing to go out on a limb, even if it was solid. (And we pay them not to be too eager to accept liability!)

·
Registered
700 Posts
The "Magnusson-Moss" consumer warranty protection act prohibits manufacturers from arbitrarily disallowing warranty claims. The installation of a trailer hitch, by itself, is not sufficient grounds for a manufacturer to disallow a warranty claim, UNLESS the manufacturer can establish cause and effect.

The statement made in an earlier post that "Warranty is only as good as the dealer" is the absolute FACT.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I called my dealer and spoke with the service manager. He said that "Mother Honda" has the fine print that keeps them covered if something goes wrong when someone puts a trailer hitch on . He also said that as long as I didn't ask them to do any warranty repairs on the rear tire ,suspension,drive or rear differential that if a oxygen sensor went out the cruuise control went out or any component that had nothing to do with the drive or suspension that he would authorize the repair under warranty.
Now I don't have this in writing but my dealer has been up front and done all the necessary warrenty work so far so I'm going to install a hitch this summer and tow a pop-up camper and not let it bother me.

That's just my humble opinion

Buck Yellow Wing 8) :lol: :yw1: :yw1:

·
Registered
759 Posts
well...I disagree...the warranty is only as good as mom honda..and not the dealer...mom honda has last say. as far as installing a hitch is concerned...i dont believe that would void a warranty. however, towing a trailer could be argued as voiding a warranty. when it states in the owners manual not to tow..that seems pretty solid to me. however, i know arguements can be brought against that. it is not us to decide one way or the other in my book. that is a legal question that only a court can answer.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
stevefl said:
Planning on getting a new goldwing and extended warranty,, question is I heard the warranty is voided it I put a trailer hitch on it and I tow a trailer. Is this correct???

Thanks
I would ask service manager at your favorite dealership how he feels about this. They'll be the one working on the bike, and they'll be the ones filing the warranty paperwork with Honda.

That way, you'll know for sure up front.

·
Registered
21,137 Posts
all I know is Honda doesn't recommend trailer hitches because they are concerned about your safety and thier liability. Honda doesn't recommend additional backrests for the same reason but I never heard of a voided warranty just because someone used one.

G

·
I wonder if mother Honda would void a warranty for going over the recomended weight capacity, I've seen some mighty hefty driver/passenger combos. However Honda would have to prove the bike had been overloaded, a weigh in at local authorized dealer? :chicken:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
You might want to re-think your purchase of the extended warranty ?
We get an extra two years on the engine and cooling system with the lawsuit settelment....................

G

·
If I had a major rear end problem with my bike, my hitch would be in the garage before my bike went to the dealer.
Unless they have a picture of me towing a trailer, I installed the hitch before realizing it would void my warranty, therefore, I would never tow anything.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Trailer Towing

Robert,

You are interpreting the Honda "bible" too literally. In fact, Honda will honor the warranty on the parts that are not affected by towing. Each case is taken on its own merits. As has been said above, things like rear ends and stress points from towing would be suspect. There is no Honda policy that tells dealers not to do warranty work on a bike with a trailer hitch on it. In fact, the HRCA made sure that if a member needed roadside service and a tow, that the truck that responds must be able to handle a trailer or a sidecar on the member's bike. The dealer has to use his judgement as to whether or not the warranty is voided by towing the trailer. If there is a dispute over it, the dealer is supposed to get advise from the Honda service rep. Honda's issue with trailers is mostly related to safety and less for damage to the vehicle. However, one of the reasons they don't recommend trailer towing is because if they didn't, someone would be towing an AirStream and then blame Honda if the bike were to fail. LOL

·
Registered
759 Posts
The interpretation isnt mine. Like I said in my earlier post, call Honda. I was told the warranty would be voided...thats all I know.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
On the General BB read the post by wingnutzz. ( Proposed settlement for gl1800 Class Action suit )

1 - 18 of 18 Posts