GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bride I are going to Williamsburg 4th of July weekend for a few days. Any tips on roads or cool things to do-n-see.

Thanks in Advance

Andy S.

·
Registered
238 Posts
my mom lives on the other side of williamsburg at the james river ferry. i ride there quite often. the colonial parkway to yorktown is pretty cool. also i like to ride the ferry across up rte 10 towards petersburg, take the bridge back across to rte 5 ( dont quote me on the rte numbers but its on a map) nice 2 lane roads that follow the james river on both sides.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The bride I are going to Williamsburg 4th of July weekend for a few days. Any tips on roads or cool things to do-n-see.

Thanks in Advance

Andy S.
NC Winger is correct. We call it the nickel and dime ride. Take the ferry across the river, When you travel from the Jamestown side to the Surrey side, stay on that road through 1 traffic light. About one mile past that light, you will bear right onto route 10. You will be on this road for a good 30 minutes. After you go down a steep hill with a pond on your left, go around the curve and turn right at the next light. This is the Benjamin Harrison bridge (grated bridge). At the next stop sign, take a right. This is route 5, you will be on this road for 45 minutes. There are some plantations on this road, even a haunted B & B! The ride to Yorktown on the Colonial Parkway is nice. When you get into Yorktown, drive down to the beach, there are some decent dives to eat at. Lots to see and do, enjoy!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Good ideas from the other folks! I'd try to stay off the interstates at almost any cost. You can get stuck for an hour (for no good reason other than some poor guy had a flat and we all have to slow down and look inevitably causing a fender bender)

The Parkway, as mentioned, is a good way to "do" the historic triangle (Jamestown, Williamsburg, and Yorktown). Lots of Revolutionary history and Civil War history, if that's you! Be careful on the Parkway. It's 45 and 35 mph:cop2:

Understand, this place is a tourist trap. If you want to do stuff, you're gonna hafta support the local economy :money1:
Options to spending a lot of money would be going to the Yorktown beach (as mentioned), driving roads along the James, York, and Chickahominy Rivers and stopping for picnics along the way:thumbup:

Have fun. I'll send you my phone number in case you run into trouble.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Visit Colonial Williamsburg for a day and see what life was like for our founding fathers. We stayed for a couple of days, wear good walking shoes. Great food in the Taverns on the grounds.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
If your shooting down I95 you might want to take 17 out of Fredericksburg, VA to Williamsburg. Somewhat patrolled but a nice side door ride into town..

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Greetings!

Don't forget to scoot all the way to the southern end of Colonial Parkway and visit Jamestown. It is one of the oldest settlements in the US and the archeology they are doing there is amazing. You can watch the Archeologists digging in the field and you can go inside the conservation lab and watch the conservators preserving the artifacts they find.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Eat a Captain George's seafood restaruant

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all

I would like to say thank you all for posting. I think we will have a blast. It is people like you all that make this board so great :bow:

Andy S.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts