GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sitting in the bike hanger, I decided to pick the windscreen up a notch or two. I grabbed the right pin and gave it a tug and after it's departure from the hole, I fumbled and ping, clink, clunk... OH $hit! It bounced around and found it's way to the gap between the fork tunnel and the frame and went out out of sight.

Long story short. I had to take her down to here to retrieve the little stainless, non-magnetic fugitive.

And there it was, stuck right above the cruise servo.

Think I'll fabricate some fillers for this spot, sure would suck to have this happen on the road.

FWIW...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hmmmm....... might not be a bad idea to have an extra pin along.

Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Why is it so easy for those parts to find their way down into the deep recesses of the bike?

You are a good man for going after it. I might have fabricated a replacement pin.

Another reason to get the electric motor.

W

·
0 Posts
The HOLE, you found the BLACK HOLE.............. :eek:4: .............. :22yikes:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Windbender

I would use a fishing leader,black W/ a clasp on one end.Just put it on the ring and attach to something on the bike.They come in different lengths.....Jim

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
This post actually lifts my spirits.
I feel better knowing that I'm not alone in dropping things.
Thanks TBB.
Now admit it. You really just did this so you could show off your picture of your 138 coats of hand rubbed road grime on your inner parts. :lol: :lol:

I might just tie a piece of black nylon line between the two pins. It would be hard for both of them to drop out of sight that way.
DC

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
With some of the Wings that I have seen, one could open a "Hardware Store" with the stuff I have found in the recesses of the Queen Mother of motorcycles...LOL.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
you can solve the problem by buyng the electric adjuster :D

Seriously,before I bought the electric,I was going to put a fishing leader or something like that to keep from losing the pins

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Bulldog said:
With some of the Wings that I have seen, one could open a "Hardware Store" with the stuff I have found in the recesses of the Queen Mother.
Hmmm? Could this be the makings of a Freudian Slip?
Recesses of the Queen Mother.
That could be interpreted as Bilges of the Queen Mary (very large ship)
Hey Hal, you got any auxiliary bilge pumps for the GL1800? (chrome please)
The urge to accessorize, exceeded only by the need to Ride. :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
756 Posts
Am I the only windbender owner that worries someone may decide to "borrow" the top half of the windshield if I leave it parked unattended?
Anyone have any ideas to share for locking it in the slots?
To keep this relevant I did drop the pin once but it went straight thru to the ground.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Anyone have any ideas to share for locking it in the slots?
See if you can find a small lock at home depot Tim

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A lanyard for the pins is a good idea and I will probably attach one but... This isn't the first time I've had to take the top shelter off to retrieve something, had to get a screw out one time that I dropped.

My fear of leaving something in there revolves around the thought of something like a stuck throttle at some important time like oh say, setting up for a corner.

I still think I will plug these gaps and save my shelter removal/beer drink time for filter replacements.

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
I watched you try that RRIXX. The only thing that came out was you. :shock:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Been there...done that! GET RID OF THE PINS! Heres how...

I did a modification that gets rid of the pins! Check out the link below. The pics are from dg512055 and how he did it. Scroll down to Sweck, and you'll find pics and a variation of how I did it.

The plungers are from MSC Industrial Supply www.mscdirect.com
Part Number 62124193
$9.67 each

It is a retractable plunger with a built in spring long enough to enter the channel.

Its MUCH easier to operate than the old pins. AND you cant drop anything into the "BLACK HOLE." Ive had this on for about 53K miles and use it frequently while on the move.

1. To operate you simply pull and twist the plungers. They stay in the open postion. I do each plunger one at a time.

2. Grab the top of windshield and move up or down to approximate desired height. My windshield has a pretty snug fit in the channels and stays in position when I let it go. Some care should be used here...Im sure that some riders wouldnt want to do this while rolling. However, Im quite comfortable doing it.

3. To secure, twist each plunger, one at a time, and tap windshield down and plungers pop into place.

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... ht=#485850

Hope this is helpful. Ive helped two other local riders do this mod on their bike and they like it.
Sweck

·
Registered
416 Posts
Texas Black Bird said:
A lanyard for the pins is a good idea and I will probably attach one but... This isn't the first time I've had to take the top shelter off to retrieve something, had to get a screw out one time that I dropped.

My fear of leaving something in there revolves around the thought of something like a stuck throttle at some important time like oh say, setting up for a corner.

I still think I will plug these gaps and save my shelter removal/beer drink time for filter replacements.

No kidding. That drives me nuts until I find what I dropped in there. I have to find it.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
RRIXX said:
Why didn't you just turn the bike upside down and shake it?
Worked for us one time. On a trip, one rider lost a valve tappet lock nut. We took the caps off the valve cover of a 1970 Honda CB750, turned the bike upside down and shook the nut out. Put the nut back on, adjusted the valve and off we went. What are the chances of that working?
You never know what will work until you try. :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts